New builder, hoping to be successful!!

PepperJoAz

Hi everyone!!

A few weeks ago, I bought a "puzzle kit" doll house at Michael's.

Apparently, it was a gate way drug. Before I was even finished, I had purchased an Orchid kit.

And I knew, before I had opened the box, what outside color scheme I wanted.

And now, every house I pass in real life makes me think of something for the Orchid ("oh, maybe shutters...windowboxes...chimney...a yard....an addition on one side...a fence...)

I also thought (before finding this website/forum) "I kind of want to document the whole build on a blog...".

These things really DO talk to you, don't they??

Thanks for all of your inspirational pictures. I am hoping to share some of my own, as soon as I get started (which is after Christmas crafts...)

You all do lovely work!!

Joanne

• Like 7

Hi Joanne, and :welcome: to the forum. I'm so glad to see you're owning your addiction and feeding it so well. From time to time somebody here will suggest forming a chapter of Miniatures Anonymous, but the idea falls flat, as it's obvious we are all enablers. :D

We're looking forward to photos of your projects. When you've made five posts you can open an album or two to post pictures.

• Like 2

Welcome, Joanne! It will be fun to see your Orchid coming into being. Will you post pictures as you go along and document your work? Would love to see them!

Again, welcome! Nice to have you aboard.

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Joanne. When you have made five posts you can share pictures in albums in the Gallery, and when you have made fifty posts you can start a blog.

...These things really DO talk to you, don't they??...

I have been telling members this for mini years!

• Like 1

Apparently, it was a gate way drug. Before I was even finished, I had purchased an Orchid kit. .....

These things really DO talk to you, don't they?? ....

Sh-h-h don't say it too loud or those that don't understand will call the men in white coats.

Um, there is one other thing to watch out for - kits multiply when you aren't watching them closely, esp if they are tucked away under the bed or a work table. They are more prolific than dust bunnies or mice! Before you know it, your nice little controlled stash of two or three has grown into a stash the size of a city that could rival New York City.

Welcome to the family. We have a great time here.

• Like 2

Welcome to the family, Joanne! We are so glad you found us. We enjoy company with minds that think like ours.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your Orchid. There are many on here who have built them and I am pretty sure there are some galleries with Orchids in them. I haven't built mine yet, but it waits patiently (well, sort of). It knows I have other obligations at the moment. But it lets me know it's still waiting.

Yes, the houses do talk to you. Sometimes they will scream at you, too.

Your stash will also grow if you don't monitor them (as stated above).

If you go here: http://norms-dollhouse-colorado.com/

Scroll down the page and He has a great description of our passion. MINIATURA DISEASE

Again, we glad you are here and have found our passion.

I like your sense of humor! You'll fit right in here, so welcome :xmas:

The Orchid has always been one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to do with it, erm, after it tells you what to do, of course :lol:

It's contagious, around here for sure (the mini bug) Welcome to the forum Joanne! I look forward to seeing your houses and I Love the Orchid! I have one on the table right now. I love taking ideas from real homes and using them on my miniatures ❤️

• Like 1

You might want to set up a picture album on your computer (or iPad) and call it dollhouse inspiration. It's how I keep up with the ideas but, one thing I wish I had done is separate it by house now that I have thousands of pictures :blink::D ;) yeah, I've been addicted for a very long time lol

Heeheeeheeee yes. It's the most wonderful of addictions and YES, they do talk after a while. They tell you just what their story needs to be. Wait until you start seeing random things in mini. The dollar store is a death trap for my wallet! "Oooooooooh! That looks like potion bottles! Ooooooooooooooh! That can make great flooring!" Ugh! Lol

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So, I've come to realize that the "puzzle kit" that got me started on this whole doll house thing is a miniature Tennyson... who knew?? 

Here's the link on Michael's website:  http://www.michaels.com/10146224.html

I'm still super happy with it - it turned out well.  I'm making progress on the Orchid, and already planning for the next one - I want the RGT Contemporary Ranch.