Made a fireplace with a fossil in it!

jujurodgers

My hubby and MIL often go get fossil rocks and sell them. I asked him to bring me some that are too thin or not good, left outside and broke. So I made a fireplace with some, incorporating a fossil above the mantle. I always think I would love to have a backsplash (in real life) with these fossils and then thought I need to make a dollhouse backsplash with this stuff!!!! very brittle but so wonderful too!

post-5162-0-07334100-1418245436_thumb.jp

• Like 9

Holly I got that at a show, traded for it! Isnt it wonderful!!!!! One of my all time fav pieces I have. So beautifully done and aged! Mary Pat Murphey is her name though last time I saw her in Chicago she was doing needlepoint rugs.

Here is a close up of it!

post-5162-0-77520100-1418247576_thumb.jp

• Like 1

awesome job! reminds me of the documentary that I am watching a documentary called " your inner fish."

I saw that one! I thought it was sort of neat that there are atavistic throwbacks who retain their gill slits after they're born.

Julie that fireplace is great! What a cool idea to incorporate the fossil rock! I have found a bunch of fossils while wandering around in the arroyo but I stopped going down there in the summer when I almost stepped on a rattlesnake :O!

Roxy, aren't you afraid of that disease or whatever that you can get from the dust? Like it comes from rodent feces? Or am I mixing up two different diseases?

I just thought of something... I'm gonna need a fireplace for the Craftsman and, of course, it has to be Craftsmany and a fossil fireplace just might be the ticket! I'll have to go look at your fireplaces again, Julie!

• Like 1

Thanks!!!

and interesting!!

Roxxie, I have yet to see a rattlesnake up here! though I had a friend up here who was bit twice, at different times!

And MK that is called Hanta virus and yes we have it here! A guy just died in the county a couple miles from me. It is carried by mouse feces and urine though. We all have a theory that if you live up here for any amount of time you build a bit of immunity? I have been here 14 yrs and never known anyone to get it. Also YOU MUST keep cats! LOL

the four corners area is known for Hanta as well as the plague!

Julie, that fireplace is amazing! You really outdid yourself on that one girl! It reminds me of the RL fireplaces I've seen in the lodges around here. Simply gorgeous!

It really transcends time and style Julie. I can see it in a chic, modern house just as easily as I could in a medieval castle setting or a lodge or a cottage. It's simply a perfect piece.

• Like 1

I never heard of the disease but I don't go mucking around in the dirt very much. I always have on heavy hiking boots and cover clothing.

I don't go down in the arroyo any more after being stalked by a pack of wild dogs and the rattlesnake encounter........I stay up on the road.