Unopened Barrington Wood Dollhouse

mackb93

Hello, I just joined this site to inquire if anyone knew how much an unopened Barrington Wood Dollhouse is realistically worth?

Its never been opened and theres really not even much damage to the box. Its from the Artply Co. and my mom thinks its about 25 years old.

Can anyone help?

Thank you

At a guess, and this is just my opinion because it's so hard to say, but if I were listing it on eBay I might expect to sell it for $100. You might get more, you might not get any bids at all. It's all a crapshoot, sometimes. However, a lot of that would depend on the shipping. Shipping now on eBay is so expensive that even good deals on dollhouses are passed up because sometimes the shipping more than doubles the price.

And having said that, I have found that when I list my items for sale at a much lower price, I sometimes - not all the time - get the prices I want in the end, but if I start them high, I usually only get one bid, if that. If the Barrington were mine, I would start it at $25 with a reserve at $25 with the cheapest shipping I could possibly find, or even offer to pay the shipping myself. Of course, you might end up selling it for $25 and find yourself paying the shipping price of $60 or more. Like I said, crapshoot.

Of course, that depends on the time of the year, too. We're way too close to Christmas for anyone to think of getting it and putting it together to make a gift out of it and the rest of us are too broke after buying other presents to afford it. I like putting my stuff on eBay after I think most people have their money back from tax refunds. LOL

You could alternately put the Barrington up on Craig's List, but you'd have to live in a fairly dollhouse sophisticated area to get a lot of money for it.

And I don't know what I'm saying. If I had the Barrington, it would stay home with me and not go up for sale anywhere. Have you thought about just keeping it and making it into a grand old Victorian? It's a beautiful house and a dining room in that tower room on the first floor would be heavenly! You'd find lots of good info and people here to help you finish it.

And welcome to the forum!

How it was stored makes a big difference. If it has been stored flat in a/c over the past 25 years, this would avoid a return and refund. But if the box had been stored in a damp moldy attic or basement then you may want to open the box and check that the wood is not brittle or warped or smelly. If it's in very bad shape then save the instructions for a possible sale on eBay and (no one shoot me for this) have a nice bonfire. Nothing worse than waiting for a vintage kit to find out it's been destroyed by time.

• Like 1

Not sure where you are from, Mack, but if you don't sell the kit - or as Sable mentioned that it might be damaged by time- I would certainly be interested in buying parts for my Barrington! I have a couple of missing/damaged porch pieces. :)

• 2 months later...

I just recently got a Barrington on ebay for 56.00. The box was open and the seller said he was pretty sure it was all there. Probably why it was so cheap. I also would be interested in yours for extra parts. Maybe Jackie and I can take it all between us.

• 9 months later...

I just opened one I bought at a yardsale for $10. It was still sealed and never opened. Must have been a manufacture malfunction because I got two #41 sheets and no #43. So now that I started building it, I'm a little intimidated to finish. I don't know what to do. The instructions do not have pictures and there is little online.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dawnhvr said:

I just opened one I bought at a yardsale for $10. It was still sealed and never opened. Must have been a manufacture malfunction because I got two #41 sheets and no #43. So now that I started building it, I'm a little intimidated to finish. I don't know what to do. The instructions do not have pictures and there is little online.

Dawn- looks like this post was from last year...and the person never posted again, so trying to private message him would probably be futile.  :(  Hoping we can help you with your construction questions....but as for the missing sheet - hoping someone else on the forum can help you out!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi, my husband and I just finished building this dollhouse for our girls for Christmas. When we were missing a piece we just used an exact knife to cut one out of scraps. If you’re missing a large piece, go purchase a sheet of mahogany plywood. It’s the same stuff the dollhouse is punched out of. It may take some muscle and time but you can totally do it! And bonus, you’ll have lots of leftover scraps to make furniture from.