My Chanukah gift to myself - Dollhouse Townhouse Craigslist score!

RockawayRose

To celebrate Chanukah, I took the subway into Manhattan to pick up a craigslist find. Owner said he purchased it from Tiny Dollhouse Shop in NYC in 1999 for considerably more than I paid for it. I believe it is a custom made dollhouse. I'm going to turn it into a townhouse-turned-into-Museum for Contemporary Art. So excited! You should have seen me schlepping it down into the subway and onto three subway trains to get home. Thankfully it's made of very light wood.post-16771-0-90471600-1418794491_thumb.jpost-16771-0-71913400-1418794493_thumb.jpost-16771-0-99833900-1418794495_thumb.j

• Like 6

What a great layout for an art gallery. :artist:

I can already see the mini patrons milling around with champagne in mini glasses at the first opening show.

Did you get any comments from fellow travelers on the subway?

Gorgeous!

Uh-oh... now my brain is thinking overtime. I want an art gallery too! :bangin:

Have fun creating your gallery and I can't wait to see pictures!

ADDED: Can someone who knows, please tell me what is the proper name for the decorative panels on the facade? I like them very much!

I did get several comments on the subway, dollhouses make people so happy. Thankfully the seller had some plastic bags as of course it was pouring rain outside. It was surprisingly crowded on the trains for a late hour, but we made it home safely!

• Like 2

You're welcome, Lene. I put a parget over the middle of the Glencroft's three windows; while it's too small to see the detail in KathieB's excellent photo, it's a white sprig of holly on a green background:

gallery_8_151_53121.jpg

• Like 2

Happy Chanukah, and thanks for sharing your story with us. I wondered how many people you inspired on that subway. I bet many of them were thinking how something like this would make a great holiday gift for someone they love.

Holly's comment about Chihuly,who's work is awesome,reminded me of this fun mini modern art tutorial. I haven't tried it yet,but used a similar tut with a piece of plastic over a candle flame instead of the toaster oven. And YES,use an old toaster oven in a well-ventilated place. :)

http://blukatkraft.blogspot.com/2012/09/diy-dollhouse-miniatures-modern-glass.html

• Like 1

Kat, what a great tutorial. I love Chihuly's work. Thanks for posting it.

At the moment I don't have a modern mini, but who knows what the future will bring. Will keep this in mind!

:hmm: Thinking ... I now have an extra 12" glass dome that's crying out for a mini something. Maybe a modern mini something?

<That sound you hear in the background is the Beacon Hill chastising me for considering yet another distraction to keep me from finishing her.>

• Like 1

Kat, that is a fabulous tutorial! Mini thanks. On our second three-month trip DH & I stopped in Columbus, IN; I think just about every contemporary artist that has ever been has left their mark on the town, but the first place we went was the Visitor's Center, and this Chihuly chandelier is the first thing that meets the eye:

ChihulyChandelier.jpg