Trying to choose my first dolhouse

Hi there!

I'm a 22 year old homemaker who really enjoys crafting and working with my hands. I also love miniatures :) I have spent the past couple of weeks researching and I really want to buy a kit. Miniatures are very expensive as are dollhouses and I'm trying to be semi-on a budget! I am looking for your recommendations on a dollhouse kit that ships to Canada and is a reasonable price. I'm also a beginner at building so I'm looking for something I can handle doing myself.

I'm really loving the Arthur, the Willow, Coventry Cottage, and one other I can't remember at minute ;)

I love seeing all the beautiful creations, I hope to stick around a while!

Stefanie

It's nice to meet you Stefanie. We'll be glad to answer any questions and help in any way we can. There are several nice sized houses that are affordable. Greenleaf ships to Canada so that's the first thing on your list. We can help with the second two (affordable and easy for a first-time house) as well. The Arthur is a nice house that's very easy to build. Greenleaf has a "select" edition that's made of birch wood so it's even easier to work with. The Orchid is another excellent choice for a first house. Both are mid-sized and have lots of space inside. A bit larger but one I always recommend for a first build is the Laurel. If children will be playing with the house, the Laurel is perfect since it has nice, large rooms that small hands can reach into easily. It's also super easy to build.

We have lots of building blogs here that you can look thru and get a feel for what you'll be doing as you build. Sometimes that makes a difference in the kit you'll choose and you can also see how much potential there can be in one kit when it's built by several people. The great thing about Greenleaf houses is that it starts as a kit and quickly turns into something very unique to each individual.

Others will be along shortly to welcome you and share their input about the qualities of their favorite first-time dollhouse. It's a big decision but we'll help you in any way we can.

Pick the one that calls to you the most. Those are all great houses! I too suggest you go with a Greenleaf kit and order from Greenleaf direct. Whichever house you choose you'll have dozens of examples to look at here on the forum. And there are lots of ways to achieve just about any look you want even on a tight budget. You'll find lots of advice and inspiration in that regard too.

Welcome to the forum! :Xmas:

Welcome to the little family, Stefanie. The Coventry Cottage is a sweet house that has some tricky bits, but we have a building blog for it. I have built two Orchid kits and have an Orchid someone built with hot glue that is falling apart and lost parts that I will finish taking apart and rebuild it with carpenters wood glue, making new parts to replace what's missing. Prepare to have fun.

Thank you so much for all of the thoughtful responses! I have been chatting with my fiance who is going to give me some money on Friday, so I might be getting my house soon! I'm really leaning towards the Arthur or Coventry Cottage. I do like that the Coventry Cottage comes with a bit of furniture, but I like the Arthur look better!

I really want to make the house look nice and I'm more planning to focus on the actual house than the furniture, but I also know how pricey miniature furniture could be so it would be nice to have something to start with :/

Which one is easier to build?

I love the Orchid too, I think that might be a later one. I hope I'm good at this, I'd love to do a later themed house in the future ;)