Solstice

mk56

I have a bang up dinner planned for tomorrow: but since this thread was started today, I shall give you all your Solstice treat a day early:

For the Mohawk people, the big one is the Midwinter Ceremony, which actually is in January/Feb (depending on the moon)

Enjoy everyone!

ps the one you want to click on is the Wyrd Sisters Solstice Carol....

• Like 2

*sigh* for us in the southern hemisphere, I guess that means our days will be getting shorter. Always makes me sad.

Yup. Unfortunately that's what it means. I can't stand June and the summer solstice. Kills me the lights going away. Can't stand it. We'll be able to see a difference around here by Feb. Can't get here fast enough. I LOVE the winter solstice!

Ever since I thought of the winter solstice as the start of the days getting longer, I actually looked forward to the beginning of winter, even though it was a harsh one last year. - For those of you in the southern hemisphere, don't be upset that your days are getting shorter; just enjoy the summer. From this perspective, in either hemisphere, it looks like a win/win situation.

Happy Holidays! - Have a safe winter and a joyous summer.

• Like 1

About a month ago, I decided I had had enough of this dark. I'm a night person anyway, and it was killing me to go to bed at 3am, get up at noon, and watch it get dark again in 4 hours. Soooo...I moved all my clocks ahead 3 hours. It's really not as hard to keep straight as you'd think. The best part about it, though, is now when it feels like it's been dark for hours and hours, I look at my computer clock and see it's already 9pm instead of 6pm. I am getting myself to bed earlier and sleeping during the morning is easier because it's still dark outside. And best of all, in January, I'm going to move my clocks back an hour. In February, I'll move them back another hour. In March, the actual time will move ahead an hour and I'll be right there with no jet lag, for a change. Usually it takes me months to adjust to a time change.

And the very best part of all is? I can only be 3 hours early for any appointment I might make. Hmmmmmmm...........I might have to rethink that one......

• Like 1

..And the very best part of all is? I can only be 3 hours early for any appointment I might make. Hmmmmmmm...........I might have to rethink that one......

Think about all the mini projects you'll get done whilst you're waiting...

Now, today, HAPPY SOLSTICE everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rackey, me, too. I pant for December and start looking forward to it in Oct. Snow, cold, I don't care. This, today, has been my New Years Eve for years. I so see why earlier people cut down firs and brought them into the house, set enormous fires in their hearths, put greenery all over the house, put green wreaths on their front doors. Green, green, green!I can't wait for tomorrow!!!!!!!!!! It'll be a tiny smidge longer!

A tidbit for you all : http://www.vox.com/2014/12/21/7424371/winter-solstice

It's grey and cloudy but mild here today. I have the outside lights on and the inside is lit by candles and the tree. I love to sit in my living room by the light of the tree. Plus, I bought my mommy a rosemary bush so the living room smells like a really tasty chicken dish!!!

A funny story: When my niece was wee, she loved the show "Big Comfy Couch", which was set in a town where all the clowns lived (actually, I find clowns a wee bit creepy). Anyhow, one episode revolved around the clowns "Longest Night". It was the clowns version of Xmas, and the point was to stay awake all night celebrating, and open presents at midnight, but of course poor Loonette Clown was too tired and fell asleep.

New Years Eve 1997, Hayley refused to go to bed (she was three or so ) and she was getting crankier and crankier, but she would be dammed before she would go to bed. She'd start to fall asleep, then shake herself awake and crank some more. It finally dawned on me she had confused New Years Eve with the clowns Longest Night, and was staying awake for presents!!! I explained that there were no presents, that at midnight everyone wished each other a Happy New Year, kissed and drank a toast. She pitched a fit.

She ran screaming to my mother (who still will take Hayley's side over both my sister and me) who promptly started yelling at me for my cruelty to my niece. I yelled right back SO DO YOU HAVE PRESENTS FOR HER??? SHE IS EXPECTING PRESENTS!!!!

My mother shut up quickly, and Hayley finally gave in and went to sleep, much to everyone's relief.

Mind you, every year after that she wanted to stay up for extra kisses. She is now 21 so now New Years means lights and noise and parties. (I am young enough to remember that, lol)

Darn clowns and their Longest Night!

• Like 1

New Years Eve is pppffffffftttt to me. I don't go anywhere or stay up. It's just another night on a mixed up calendar that should have everyone waiting for a new year tonight. Not that I'll be raising a rukus tonite. But I'm yippee-skippy happy during the day. Today ALWAYS brings a smile to my face - it's like I've made it. To what, I don't know - the end? Of a year? I like to look at it that way.

Thanks, Susan for the sunshine :tongue4: , it's chilly and GRAY here. And Barbara for the interesting tidbit. LOVE tidbits of information I don't need to know but I can always remember but can't remember the stuff I need to know - too boring. Love to say, "Did you know..." Everything is so interesting!

Think about all the mini projects you'll get done whilst you're waiting...

I used to bring mini projects to work on while I rode the ferry back and forth to work - an hour each way. I had a a table to work on even! But the crew didn't like the little exacto blades and I had to keep an eye on the little kids who like to swipe stuff off the table. One mother got nasty when I told her kid to not touch and she told me if I didn't want children to touch my stuff, I shouldn't bring it on board. Only the thought of jail time kept me civil at that point.

And then, of course, the ferry isn't exactly going smoothly over the water either. LOL

• Like 1

I have learned so much about sooo much more than just dollhouses by being a member here. I had no idea what the solstice was really all about and I had no idea it was a holiday for some people or that there were still practicing pagans! Wow!! I just got used to hearing about Kwanza in the last few years,and this week I have been watching some programs on PBS that are about Buddhism,the Amish,Islam,and some other beliefs I wasn't very familiar with. Guess I'll have to do some more studying! LOL

Christmas, Easter, Halloween... can't think if I'm forgetting any - are all based on Pagan holidays. When the Christians tried to convert the Pagans way, way long ago, the Christians met a wee bit of resistance. So they put a Christian spin on Pagan holidays to help move things along and I guess it worked. :)

I can't say the winter Solstice is a holiday for me, but it is very very important. In the winter I can fall asleep at 6:00 PM. In the summer, you won't find me snoozing until midnight or so. And I wake up at 3:30, 3:45 AM when the beedawees begin to wake up and begin chirping. I'm lucky if my REM sleep is abating by 8:00 AM in the winter! If I can make it to the Solstice w/o becoming overly depressed I figure I've got it made in the shade. I can't tell the days are getting long for awhile, but just KNOWING makes me feel so much better.

Oh, and ittiz Monday here - enjoy the extra few seconds of sunshine today! The days are getting longer!

Yes,I would hope most people know that a lot of holidays were once pagan-related,or at least were nothing like they are now. And Thanksgiving is sorta blah for me since it's seems to be all about just stuffing yourself,anymore. Oddly enough,my favorite 'holiday' has always been Halloween,but not for the typical blood and gore and vampire and witch side of it-I just think it's fun for children to get to dress up and get sweets that most parents freak out about the rest of the year. :)

I never really believed in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny,etc. I thought it was all so silly,very early on! :) Even though we are not forbidden to enjoy those holidays in a secular fashion,and we did,my church doesn't celebrate them as religious/holy days. We have communion and acknowledge Jesus's birth and death every Sunday. I have been too sick to attend my church's Sunday services for months,but cannot wait to get back to going regularly! All that being said,I'm not putting down celebrating solstice,so hopefully it isn't taken that way. It's just something I never knew existed today. That's what is so great about the internet and forums like this-because I love learning new things! :)

And I feel dumb for saying it,but I never notice the days being longer except in the Spring and Summer,during daylight savings time,when it stays light until after 8PM or so here. Now, I do love that! :)

As my grandmother used to say, "There are some things that one does not bring up in polite conversation. They are sex, religion, politics, and money."

Those are subjects that light fires in our hearts. They bring us passion and excitement but they can also cause pain and even tear apart families because of that same passion. I'm saying this from a place of love and respect, but we need to avoid controversial subjects such as these. Use common courtesy here and respect one another's differences. Sometimes that respect means that we steer clear of topics that might result in argument and hurt feelings. That's something we never want to have ANY of our members go thru which is why I'm offering a reminder about forum courtesy. I'm going to copy and paste this into a couple of other threads and thank you all in advance for being the loving, understanding people who make our forum a home.

• Like 2

I very much dislike that I don't get to see the outside of my house until the weekend this time of year...except by flashlight. I keep thinking I'll put up outdoor lights but then the sun comes back and fools me :). I could do without daylight savings time!! Don't need light at 600am...would like it at 600 pm :). Thought I'd get more mini projects done but all I'm doing is taking longer hot baths :D