Dolls - I'm searching high and low!

Shareb

Hi all! After seeing Tracy's Peirce blog with her lovely builder helping out, I've decided I would really like to get my dollhouse family sooner rather than later. I don't want to spend a huge amount, but nor am I happy to buy one of the 'run of the mill' type families! I would prefer poseable and definitely modern. Don't care too much about what they are made of. I do have a Se Heaser book out of the library - Making miniature dolls with polymer clay; it's just I don't have overly high hopes of what I could produce! :bigwink: So I've found this excellent website that has a huge amount of links to dollhouse doll websites. http://www.mysmallobsession.com/miniature-dolls.html and have found two sites that sell 'kits' which I reckon could give me the character dolls I'm after but at a lower cost and allowing me some crafty input. http://www.minidollkit.com/products.asp?cat=Resin+Doll+Kits&pg=3 and http://www.colvindolls.com/products.asp

I'd love to hear your stories of how you found your perfect dollhouse family - or are you still looking? Any other places where I could purchase either dolls or kits at a reasonable rate?? Thank you as always!

I've been to two of those sites; haven't been to colvindoll. In fact, I kind'a have plans to get four dolls for my brownstone from minidollkits. Maybe. I'm torn now: do I want to go the realistic way w/o them or get them to play with? :) I'll prolly get them. I've patterns for their clothes. I'm going to get mine painted and assembled and then do hair as well as clothes. It adds up to about $100/doll though.

• Like 1

The minidoll kits site has awesome tutorials on how to paint them. After watching them I've decided to get the unpainted kits. There is one lady I adore but she's older than I was going to go for. There are several men who would be good. I may see if I could find the right sized wigs as I'm not sure I could do their hair just from wigging.

I am so incredibly excited! I have just ordered two doll kits from Sherri Colvin! I fell in love with the lady even though originally I was looking for someone younger. She just has this gorgeous good-natured, potentially cheeky type look about her! Then had to pair her with an older man - he is a little more stern. Actually, now I think about it they could easily personality-wise represent my husband and I when we're older!!! Can't wait to get them! WHOOP!

• Like 1

I'm getting mine unpainted and unassembled. A while ago now I did a reborn doll - painted etc, and I was actually quite good at it. Plus Sherri's tutorials look excellent! No - haven't thought about names! I'll have to start thinking!! I'm getting Mr Carter and Cornelia Billingsworth!

• Like 1

You go, girlfriend! I've no want to try doing my own dolls. I'm glad you're proud enough of your artwork to admit that you're kind'a good at it. Nothing wrong in politely saying you think you're good at something. People don't give themselves credit often enough. GOOD FOR YOU!

• Like 3

Erna Meyer dolls are also very nice - and in the low-expensive range, usually around $30-50 depending on the doll. They are poseable and very nice looking. Sherri Colvin's dolls are top-of-the line. I have just one of her dolls, which I won in a drawing. :)

• Like 1

These are all lovely ladies but I'm looking for a handsome man to go with the lovely lady I already have. All the men I see look more like a lady with a mustache. Where are the rugged men? I guess I will keep trying to perfect my clay talents.

• Like 1

Cheryl - I think these men are pretty good!! http://www.minidollkit.com/products.asp?cat=Mini+Kits+~+Men

I didn't realize one could get a Sherry Colvin character doll in resin nor that they would be so relatively inexpensive. I'm tempted to try one to make a potter for my ceramic shop. I know there are a lot of female potters, but the shop is crying out for a male for some reason or other. But which one? The faces have so much character.

And clothing him is another story. Except for one British artist, a member here who makes incredibly realistic clothing, and whose name I can't bring to mind at the moment (somebody help!), the clothing on male dolls is generally in need of a master tailor. It's generally puffy and ill-fitting, with collars and sleeves sticky out and bulging in strange ways. I think I'd rely on glue rather than trying to stitch seams with thread for a more form fitting garment.

• Like 1

I think you might be thinking of Jo Med.

She is on Etsy as Jo Medvenics with a store called PocketPygmies

Yes! Thanks, Selkie. I hate it when I can't remember stuff, but will hate it even more when I get used to forgetting stuff. *sigh*

• Like 1