Positive Affirmations, Good News and Awesome Things

Deb

You guys don't know how much you've made me smile this morning!! Every time a joyous or positive thought is shared, it multiplies happiness. Tracy and Selkie, your affirmations today are wonderful and I'm so glad you shared them. Tracy's TOTD posts on facebook have been my inspiration for sharing so much here because I've seen how much joy she creates when she shares her happiness. It's contagious and it's the greatest gift we can give one another. Words can sometimes be just words but when they express emotions that come from the heart in a genuine and pure manner for no other reason than to share joy, that's a true gift.

One of the reasons I share my experiences of "being in the moment" is because those moments are precious to me and I feel that if I can describe them and make people feel just a teeny bit of that serenity, it's a way of giving a gift to the people I love. And the people I love are here, in our family.

The astronomy links are wonderful and I've been lost in pictures and loving every minute of them. My dad was a star gazer and he would often let me sit outside with him at night to look at the sky. He would tell me the names of the stars and point out the constellations, then tell me the stories from mythology about them. By doing that he taught me how to combine science with imagination. He taught me how to recognize the planets and all about the different types of stars.........so many amazing things in every night sky. Now, three years after he passed away, when I'm sitting on the patio at night I swear that he's sitting in the rocking chair beside me and once again we're silently sharing the miracles of the sky.

The moment when you first wake up in the morning is the most wonderful of the twenty-four hours. No matter how weary or dreary you may feel, you possess the certainty that, during the day that lies before you, absolutely anything may happen. And the fact that it practically always doesn’t, matters not a jot. The possibility is always there.Monica Baldwin

I hope that everyone has had a moment like that today and that your possibilities are wonderful!

I've had that happen and the mouse in question wasn't dead or even injured, just really, really upset. The cat woke me by making odd "mmrrrw" sounds which happens when you have a live mouse wiggling around in your mouth. I screamed, the cat dropped the mouse, the mouse screamed, and I found out how quickly I could get out of bed!! The mouse got away and the cat was mad at me for days.

• Like 1

I really love Shel Silverstien. He was best known as an author of children's books but he was also a poet and a Grammy winning song writer. (People always seem a little amazed to know that he wrote most of the songs for Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show which were about as far from kid's books as you can get.) He wrote "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "The Boa Constrictor Song" but he also wrote "Queen of the Silver Dollar", "A Boy Named Sue", and "Cover of the Rolling Stone". Now that's some serious diversity! I think that his most lasting gift was the way he encouraged people of every age and in every walk of life to be what they are........to be ALL of what you are. It doesn't matter if you don't fit into categories or if people wonder how you can be one thing and then another; the important thing is that you know who you are and embrace all the little parts of you that make up a whole. We're most interesting and at our happiest when we can slip easily from one part of our personality into another.

This may be my favorite Shel Silverstien poem:

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-gumble song,
Whistle through your comb.
Do a loony-goony dance
‘Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain’t been there before.

I think that each of us have that same diversity inside us, especially here where creativity runs amuck with glorious abandon. So today my wish for everyone is that you do a little dance, sing a little song, and embrace your own contradictions. It's what makes you the unique person you are and we need more of you in the world.

As you can guess, I constantly sing silly little songs, although nowadays I dance with my cane and sometimes fall over. Watching me get back up is even funnier than watching me fall down. Oh, BTW, we're back home.

When I was a kid, I remember my Grammy singing when she did housework. Her favorite was "You can bring Ruth with the rubber tooth, but don't bring Lulu...you can bring Si with the old glass eye, but don't bring Lulu......." Guess I did have a weird childhood after all....LOL!

• Like 1

OK, Deb, now it's time for MY grandmother's favorite

Reenie, come out and play with me

under the apple tree

and bring your dollies three.

Holler down my rain barrel,

swing on my cellar door

and you and I'll be friends forever more.

My gran's favourite song was "Ghost Riders in the Sky" .

Now, the following nugget is, for me, a bit of awesomeness....Monday our new adult SLP started! She is a solid clinician, and a new grad. Once she gets a couple of miles under her belt, she will be very good indeed. I will be supervising her through her Clinical Fellowship year.

This means about 10 kids will also get in for therapy, as I will no longer have to cover the adults as well as the kiddies! I will be full time peds!!!!

• Like 2

post-2387-0-45758700-1423002377_thumb.jp

My cuties. This is Natasha. "I'm Cinderella, I'm going to fight the badies with my sword. It is cold, so I'm wearing my coat and bag. I'm taking my baby along for a walk" (the 'coat' is a car seat cover!) She's seen Disney Cinderella once and I'm sure doesn't really remember the whole story, just little scenes.

post-2387-0-36334800-1423002358_thumb.jp

This is Allana. She's cheekier than Natasha was at that age, but still fabulous of course.

I was given 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' when I was very little and so grew up with it. Silversteen is not that well known here in the UK, so I feel privileged to have had a copy. I love his poems, particularly pleasing are 'Sick' I cannot go to school today, said little Peggy Ann McKay; and 'Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout, Would not take the garbage out!' I think they applealed to me especially as a school girl!

I'm very proud of Natasha especially, she is growing up to be such a polite litte girl! Today we were having Tacos for dinner and my Mummy, Sister and Niece were here too. Nan had just put a taco shell on her plate and Natasha said 'What can I get for you Nan?' asking what she could pass.

• Like 4

Now, the following nugget is, for me, a bit of awesomeness....Monday our new adult SLP started! She is a solid clinician, and a new grad. Once she gets a couple of miles under her belt, she will be very good indeed. I will be supervising her through her Clinical Fellowship year.

This means about 10 kids will also get in for therapy, as I will no longer have to cover the adults as well as the kiddies! I will be full time peds!!!!

Barbara, that's very awesome news!!!!  Having ten spaces open up for kids is wonderful but knowing that you'll be full time peds is even better.  Working with special needs kiddos is a roller coaster but it's one of the most fulfilling things I know.  From deep in my heart, I'm singing in happiness along with you.  Speaking of singing, how is your choir coming along?  

Muriel, your girls have me giggling right out loud this morning.  How sweet!!!  And what character!  Gee, I wonder where they get that?  LOL!  Natasha obviously understands that women can do it all since she makes it seem so easy to combine motherhood, superhero, fashionista, and princess all in one!  Allana has the cutest smile that I've seen in ages.  She just lights up a whole room when she grins like that, doesn't she.  I'll be grinning all morning after seeing their pictures.  So sweet!!!

• Like 1

Oh Muriel, such sweet children.  They so bring sunshine into our lives!

Made is through my disability hearing yesterday with some sobbing and lots of shaking.  Broke down totally back in my car, then called DH and he talked me down from the misery perch.  Decided to go to Hobby Lobby since I was already in Kingsport and hummed along with the hymns that were playing and looked at all the beautiful spring things.  Since my Mom loves Red Lobster, I found a funny lobster pin covered in red rhinestones and used my coupon for it.  Came home and said "It is finished".  Was very difficult to talk about all that misery again.  But, I made it through, slept alot better last night and woke up to sunshine this morning.  My DH brought home pizza for supper last night so I wouldn't have to cook and heart shaped donuts.  So instead of my usual healthy breakfast, I had Gevalia mocha coffee and my heart shaped donut and celebrated life.  You are all dear friends and have helped me look at the bright side of life and make good memories so the others fade into the background.  Don't know if I will ever be my old self again, but am busy creating a new self within my limitations.  

post-3022-0-90991200-1423058935_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Made is through my disability hearing yesterday with some sobbing and lots of shaking.  ...............  Don't know if I will ever be my old self again, but am busy creating a new self within my limitations.  

It's okay Debra. I think what you had is a natural response to a very traumatic event.  I cried for days and days after I got my official label of "disability".  It's a bitter pill to swallow because it feels like something has been taken away from you.  But it's only a word dearheart.  Words have no power over what we really are inside and you are the same person you've always been.  The only thing that has changed is the way you do things; not your ability to be you.   You're showing how strong and smart you are by reinventing the way you approach tasks because that's the key to continuing life as you know it.  If there are some things you can't do, you'll find new things to do that will fill the void.  Working thru the grief is the first step and you're doing it with dignity and grace.  Your hubby is a sweetheart who supports you and validates your sense of self worth when you need it most.  That means so much and he's a darling.  

You're not alone in this Debra.  We're right here beside you to cheer you on and give you hugs and help you thru this part of your journey whenever you need us.  We think you're pretty wonderful no matter what condition your condition is in.   :wub:

• Like 1

Gentle hugs, Debra.

I remember how upset I was when I first got my handicapped parking permit. I vowed I'd never use it ~ not ever, I shouted at the top of my lungs.

Silly me, I didn't fully grasp that this was intended to make my quality of life better.

I use it now but still take regular spaces that are close by when one is available so I feel like I'm gifting my space to someone else that time. That's what I found worked for rationalizing for me.

You'll find your way of crafting a rationale that works for you.

It's ok to cry, btw!! Here's a pretty hankie (**).

• Like 1

Thank-you all so much.  Realized today that all that junk is not gone, but it doesn't have to identify who I am.  When even the witness at the hearing could not come up with a job that I could do within my limitations, I was no longer worried that I was being lazy or avoiding work.  So this is like the first day of the rest of my life and I am celebrating me today!  When I was in Hobby Lobby yesterday winding down a bit, I found a sad little wind chime in a corner of the clearance section.  It had beautiful glass teardrops, one of which was broken.  Well, like many of you here, it is my duty to fix broken things! LOL!  So I brought it home and now those beautiful glass teardrops adorn my dining room chandelier which started life as a boring old brass builder grade ceiling light.  Love making things beautiful!  

post-3022-0-07709800-1423070960_thumb.jp

• Like 4