Positive Affirmations, Good News and Awesome Things

Deb

I've learned something incredible.........almost miraculous........and I want to share it with you.

Positive thinking works.

Not only does it work to make changes in an individual's life, but it sets off this amazing cascade effect and before you know it, the light that it starts in your heart becomes a beacon to someone else you know and that person starts thinking more positive too and that's the way it passes on from one person to the next.

My dad used to have candle services at church to illustrate the point. He'd have someone turn off all the lights in the sanctuary and after people had taken a moment to observe the darkness, he would light one candle at the pulpit to show that one little light was enough to push back the shadows....then he would step down and go to the first person in the front pew and light their candle. That person would then turn to the next one and use their flame to light the next candle and so on and so on until every person was holding a tiny light. At that point the whole sanctuary would be lit up so bright and with such golden light that it was beautiful beyond words. That's when Dad would remind people that all we needed to push back overwhelming darkness was to share one little light.

Later in life I realized that the opposite works (darkness and negativity breed more darkness and negativity) and for some reason the dark is easier to spread. Sometimes it even blows out our own little light and leaves us foundering in the dark. Negativity is a creeping thing but it can take over if we let it. Personally, I prefer to declare war on it and of all the battles I've fought, this one has the easiest solution because just as my Dad taught, all it takes is one little light to begin and soon everyone around you has their own light. Darkness is dispelled and life becomes something to rejoice about once more.

The light is hope. The light is what keeps us going. But most of all, the light is what makes us happy and there's so much to be happy about! Sometimes we can be so knocked down and weary that we don't have the strength to ignite our own light but that's when people who love you will turn to you and say, "I have a light and I'll share it with you".

That's what this thread is all about; sharing light and hope and beauty with each other. Because once the light is lit in your life, you get so excited that you can't wait to share it. Happiness is contagious and who doesn't want to be happy?

I'd love for this to be a thread where people can come every day (or more if you want) to post something good that they've seen, heard, or even felt that day. Did your kid do something special like bringing home a great report card or a special picture they made for you? Maybe you caught all the green lights on the way to work and arrived two minutes early just as someone came in with donuts and you got the cream filled eclair on top. Or did you look out the window just in time to see the sun shining just right on an icicle to make a rainbow? Woke up with your favorite song stuck in your head instead of an annoying commercial jingle? Have a funny joke or life happening to share? I don't know anyone who will turn down a good laugh!! Those are just random examples but you can see what I'm talking about. It's the little things that can add up to a whole lot of awesomeness!

I'm going to share a link that I've shared before but it's worth doing it again because the author is up to either the second or third list of 1000 Awesome Things. The main reason I'm sharing it again is because I thought it would be a good example of what I'm talking about. Reading even a few entries will turn around your outlook on the day! http://1000awesomethings.com/

So will you join me and bring your light? You can share with words or pictures or quotes that you find inspirational..........whatever it is that has sparked a little light in you is golden to your friends.

<lighting the first candle> My awesome thing so far today has been waking up and thinking it was much earlier than it was, only to open the bedroom door and see that the east facing rooms were rosy and pink. The sunrise was beautiful but the best part was realizing that I'd gotten a better night's sleep than I thought I had. It was unexpected and it's got my spirits soaring already this morning.

I have a quote to share as well.

“I change my life when I change my thinking.
I am Light. I am Spirit.
I am a wonderful, capable being.
And it is time for me to acknowledge
that I create my own reality with my thoughts.
If I want to change my reality,
then it is time for me to change my mind.”
Louise L. Hay

<holding out my candle> Who's next?

• Like 3

Me ....

And thank you for starting this thread. It is the perfect time of year for it.

We had our friend sing this song at our wedding ....

One Little Candle

It is better to light just one little candle,
Than to stumble in the dark!
Better far that you light just one little candle,
All you need's a tiny spark!

If we'd all say a prayer that the world would be free,
The wonderful dawn of a new day we'll see!

And, if everyone lit just one little candle,
What a bright world this would be!

Let's all light one little candle,
Why stumble on in the dark?
When the day is dark an' dreary,
And your way is hard to find,
Don't let your heart be weary,
Just keep this thought in mind!

It is better to light just one little candle,
Than to stumble in the dark!
Better far that you light just one little candle,
All you need's a tiny spark!

If we'd all say a prayer that the world would be free,
The wonderful dawn of a new day we'll see!
And, if everyone lit just one little candle,

Music by George Mysels
with Lyrics by Joseph Maloy Roach, Published 1952

• Like 4

That was very inspirational and so true. In all the offices I ever worked in, if we ever got a new employee who had a negative disposition, we would tactfully explain that we don't allow negativity. 90 days and you're out! Always enjoyed working; very few 'angst' days during my career.

I consider your well thoughtout words to be very uplifting, beautifully written. That was a nice holiday present. Thanks

• Like 1

What a timely post,Deb! Your father was a wise man and what a beautiful example of The Light that guides us! Thank you for starting this topic-I know it will help many,as it has me already!

I was in such pain and down in the dumps in the middle of the night last evening and so I turned to the Forum to vent. After what turned out to be a very good deep sleep,I awoke to several kind notes of encouragement from members here that made me smile and feel so warm. Then my dear mother called to tell me,surprise,she was bringing by a catfish dinner from the restaurant where she had Christmas lunch with her senior citizen's group today. Oh,was it so good! And there's enough left over that I can have it again for supper-nice when you don't have the get-up-and-go to cook!! And my sweet little mother looked so cute in her Christmas-y garb! Today we are having very dreary weather down here,but I am feeling so much brighter inside now! ^_^

So,passing the candle on...

• Like 1

Thanks, Deb. I kind of need my candle lit this morning. DH has been out of work for over a year, but was living in NE with our daughter so Mother and I managed okay on my income. Now he is home, planning to stay, and the budget is already shot into the next county. He had to take the car to the mechanic's today with a screaming front-wheel bearing (on a front wheel drive car) - costs $300 to fix. It's the only car, and I commute hundreds of miles in my job. So it has to be fixed ASAP. I've spent the morning transferring and juggling funds and trying to scrape together enough for the repairs.

I love the story of the candles from your dad. Our church in TN, many years ago, used to have a Christmas Eve service that was lit only by candles that we held. So beautiful, so peaceful.

I made it safely to my parents, with almost 100$ of flowers for my mother. And I laughed all the way, listening to Stuart McLean A Vinyl Cafe Christmas on CD.

Type in the vinyl cafe, you can listen to his stories on both podcast and youtube.

I'm glad that folks are enjoying the sharing of happy things and your kind words made me blush. It's wonderful that everyone is sharing so much about the happy things in their lives and words of inspiration and encouragement. (Selkie, your song is lovely and because it was sung at your wedding I know that it was a special gift from your heart. Thank you!)

Last night I had a wonderful happy moment times two. The first part was realizing that Bob Seger had released a new album that I'd missed hearing about (all new songs too!!) but thanks to the wonders of the digital age, I was able to instantly buy it and download the MP3 format so I didn't have to wait a second longer to hear it. The second part was realizing that my laptop sound card had another layer to the equalizer that included about two dozen more settings so I popped my cans on my head, cranked that bad boy up and found the "rock the heck out of this" settings and sat on the bed with my hands up in the air doing my own version of happy dancing to my favorite singer. That felt reeeeeeeeeally good.

My inspirational share today is a quote from Dr. Seuss.

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living. It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.”
―Dr. Seuss

I hope that everyone's day includes a little nonsense, a little whimsy, and a lot of laughter.

• Like 3

Happiness is getting a phone call tonight from my granddaughter, right after opening their presents. "Oh, thank you, Grandma, for the new dolly! I just love her!" Looks like I made the right choice. :) I asked her what she was going to name her and about an hour later she called back - "I decided to name her Serena!"

I got her a Madame Alexander doll, which is a clone of the very expensive American Girl doll. Her two cousins have them and she hasn't until now. She is over the moon with happiness. I also bought her some clothes and accessories, complete with fur-lined snow boots for the harsh Nebraska winters. She's having a ball! :banana:

• Like 5

I'm so glad everyone is having such a great holiday! I had an honestly unexpected blast at our family gathering last night! Lots of great food and company,from my mother's 85 year old friend down to my 4 year old grandniece,with many ages in between. I was so afraid I would suffer from stuffing myself with all my mother's oh-so-good food,including pecan pie,but so far I haven't had any kind of upset stomach,so Yay!

I learned that my brother's 30-something son is thinking about getting married to his wonderful girlfriend now that he is finally starting to get his life together. He and I had a blast cutting up while my weekend country musician brother played guitar and sang Christmas and country songs by request. I wish someone had videotaped our dancing send up to my favorite,Silver Bells-but put it this way,my hips are sore,sore,sore,and those silly Joe Boxer underwear ads that Kmart does have nothing us! I learned that the girlfriend is also a musician-something I hadn't known until she pulled out her banjo and joined in marvelously while the guys played guitar and sang!! That was so cool to discover,as my brother and nephew eat sleep and breathe music! (They play in clubs together as a second job.)They also play rock,so it was a very lively party for all!:)

Another grown nephew came to me to ask advice about ways to better encourage his preschooler's creativity. We had a fun discussion about that since I'm a big advocate of children literally coloring 'outside the lines'. C. had evidently had some clashes with others who don't think outside of the box like us,so he was relieved that he had a chance to ask my advice. It also gave me another little hint that maybe I should try to go back to daycare work. I've been out of it for years,but have recently begun to really miss being a preschool teacher,so it may be something to think about when I get well enough! :)

My 12 year old niece has one of those new 'smart' phones from from her father,so she had a blast using the "Elf Yourself" app to put several of us into a hilarious dance video! My little 80 year old mother was so confused about what R. was doing at first,but then she really cracked up at the results. :)

By choice I hadn't been around any of my family members except my mother and sons since I started treatments and lost my hair,so that became a big reveal. (I was still too sick to come to Thanksgiving dinner.) I was a little worried about it,because my long red hair was always my signature look,and it's a blaring reminder to everyone that I have a disease that can kill. But it was quickly turned into a part of the fun,with running jokes from me and everyone else. Example: Someone snapped a group photo and called out,"Oh,wait! We gotta do that one over,there was a glare!" and stared right me at with with a big grin!LOL The cutest was that my little grand niece had been around me for a couple of hours,when suddenly she looked hard at me and announced loudly,"Hey,you don't have hair!" Everyone laughed,including her,and we just kept playing.:)

Even though the adults aren't supposed to exchange gifts anymore,my mother and brother each gave me a little money gift-so Hobby Lobby and Greenleaf,here I come!:) All in all, what a blessed evening! We traditionally all go our own ways for Christmas day,so I get to rest all day since I'm not working this year! Yay! Happy,happy to you all!

• Like 1

Sounds good, Kat - glad you had a good time! Your comment about "coloring outside the lines" reminded me of a neighbor many years ago. She actually spanked her little girl, around 4 years old, for coloring a person with green hair. "People don't have green hair, she needs to learn better!" My heart ached for the child! And Ha-ha mean mommy! People do have green hair now! and blue, and streaked, and whatever they like! :)

Sounds good, Kat - glad you had a good time! Your comment about "coloring outside the lines" reminded me of a neighbor many years ago. She actually spanked her little girl, around 4 years old, for coloring a person with green hair. "People don't have green hair, she needs to learn better!" My heart ached for the child! And Ha-ha mean mommy! People do have green hair now! and blue, and streaked, and whatever they like! :)

Yep-and that little girl just may have grown up to dye hers green-I would love to see that misguided mother's reaction to that! LOL I was very honored and heartened to have my nephew ask my advice and proud to know he seems to sincerely want his little girl to be free to express herself and be herself in ways he wasn't really allowed to,I am afraid...

Does no one else remember the post-WWII movie Dean Stockwell was in, "The Boy With Green Hair"? The mother spanked her child? Someone needs to grab that woman by the scruff of her neck and make her watch some of the Japanese animation films, or haul her to a modern art museum, or just a local highschool campus!

• Like 2

I did my morning meditation on the patio today and as my breathing slowed and my body became very still, I let my mind stay in the moment rather than fretting over the past or worrying about the future. It's part transcendental meditation and part biofeedback pain management but there can also be a great deal of insight gained when we spend time focusing on this single second in time. I'd been meditating for about five minutes when I heard a distinctive chitter-chitter scolding. I opened my eyes and there were two ruby throated hummingbirds come to breakfast at the feeder about six feet away. And because I was so silent and still, they became braver about their curiosity and flew up onto the patio to have a closer look at me. Hovering just inches away from my face, so close that I could almost feel a tiny breeze from their wings, they tilted their heads this way and that to get a better look and determine what type of creature I might be. It was one of those moments in life that take our breath away and it came to me uninvited and unexpected simply because I was being still and at peace. Sometimes miraculous gifts are given to us when we are able to set aside the past and the future in order to exist serenely in the present.

“In the infinity of life where I am,
All is perfect, whole and complete,
I no longer choose to believe in old limitations and lack, I now choose to begin to see myself
As the Universe sees me --- perfect, whole, and complete.”

---Louise Hay

• Like 2

My most recent uplifting phrase I like

"Not my circus.........not my monkeys"

:)

Oh, I like that one!

Deb, your story reminded me of the time DS#3 was staying with us when we still lived in Havana, FL, back before he got his house. We were having an outdoor cleanup day and he was sweeping off the front porch while his dad & I were working nearby, pruning. For some reason the conversation topic had gotten onto hummers and The Kid was insisting he didn't believe in anything that tiny and suddenly he started complaining about the very loud bee; when I looked up at him I suggested he focus his eyes on his "bee"; he had a little brown hummer hovering about six inches from the end of his nose!

• Like 3