Positive Affirmations, Good News and Awesome Things

Deb

Boy,I have been single waaaay too long(She says as she fans herself!)

How old is the Sherman and Mr. Peabody movie?-I didn't even know one had been made!:(

I shamelessly forgot to mention my awesome thing for yesterday-I had a nice little package come in the mail from a very sweet fellow Greenleafer: A baggie of colorful beach-themed buttons I can use as wall decor and whatnots on shelves. I've already picked out several for the Orchid rehab.:)

Today I made a post in Bad News Kat,but I have to repeat my good news here:My surgeon called today and gave me the final pathology report-I thought it was done last week,but I do recall him saying he'd be calling me again-which I thought was about my radiation therapy. But anyway,there was definitely no cancer in the lymph nodes and the tumor margins were clear-he'd had a bit of caution in his report to me last week,but today I could hear in his voice that he was much more relaxed. He had his nurse set up an appointment for me with the radiation doctor for next Friday. That was such a relief,to get a date set!

To top it all off,we actually had some sunshine today! Life is gooood!:)

• Like 1

I love this so much and wanted to share it because of how important it can be to re-write our life and create new stories, new adventures, and new experiences. Words carry power within us and that power is how we determine not only where our new day will go, but where our life will lead from there. I've re-written my life more times than I care to remember but each time I choose to release something, it gives me new space, new time, and new energy to create something fresh and wonderful. I hope that today brings everyone a new experience that will become the best chapter of your life.

legendary-hiroboga-com-quote.jpg

Spent yesterday in my shop for the first time in too many weeks. Made sawdust with my new little saw, did some oopsies and fixed them and just enjoyed being back at miniatures again. The sun shone through the window all afternoon and the light was glorious!

• Like 2

I had the pleasure of hearing Herman Cain speak today at Brennen's school. He always is awesome speaking to the students (he was also the speaker at Lawson's graduation). Anyhow, here are a few things he shared.

Don't let anyone get in the way of your dreams. He spoke of when he resigned as VP of a corporation to start over "on the back broiler" to work his way back up to be president of a different corporation. He said (who he thought were) his friends said he was crazy. But he made it where he wanted in that field.

A student asked if his job ever got in the way of his religion (this is a Christian school). His answer was No, because he never let it. He told the students to not ever let anything compromise their morals, religion, or ethics. And if anything ever threatened to, then leave. Always stand up for yourself and your beliefs.

He also told of another question he had received before, where a student asked how his color affected his starting in corporate America right at the end of the civil rights movement. Again, he said it didn't, because it didn't let it. He said it just affected "them" , the people that tried to make judgement. His point was, don't let other people's thoughts and views of you effect you, stand up for yourself.

I was watching Brennen as he listened, I hope he and the other students were really taking that in and remember that.

• Like 1

Deb, your posting reminds me of one of the priceless thing my mother taught me. Growing up, whenever something truly horrible happened she'd mutter to herself (just loud enough to be overheard) "Some day we'll look back on this and laugh", so our family stories are either amusing or untold.

• Like 1

I had the pleasure of hearing Herman Cain speak today at Brennen's school. He always is awesome speaking to the students (he was also the speaker at Lawson's graduation). Anyhow, here are a few things he shared.

Don't let anyone get in the way of your dreams. He spoke of when he resigned as VP of a corporation to start over "on the back broiler" to work his way back up to be president of a different corporation. He said (who he thought were) his friends said he was crazy. But he made it where he wanted in that field.

A student asked if his job ever got in the way of his religion (this is a Christian school). His answer was No, because he never let it. He told the students to not ever let anything compromise their morals, religion, or ethics. And if anything ever threatened to, then leave. Always stand up for yourself and your beliefs.

He also told of another question he had received before, where a student asked how his color affected his starting in corporate America right at the end of the civil rights movement. Again, he said it didn't, because it didn't let it. He said it just affected "them" , the people that tried to make judgement. His point was, don't let other people's thoughts and views of you effect you, stand up for yourself.

I was watching Brennen as he listened, I hope he and the other students were really taking that in and remember that.

Oh,Tracy,I've told you before how much I love Mr.Cain! Lucky kids to have him speak to them! :)

• Like 1

Deb, your posting reminds me of one of the priceless thing my mother taught me. Growing up, whenever something truly horrible happened she'd mutter to herself (just loud enough to be overheard) "Some day we'll look back on this and laugh", so our family stories are either amusing or untold.

We have to try to laugh,don't we,to survive some things? The first thing my older son said after my diagnosis in July was "Aw,you're gonna get through this and one day 20 years from now we'll look back and say 'Remember that summer you had cancer?' and gave me a big grin and squeezed my shoulder reassuringly. :)

• Like 1

This is from Neil Parsicha's 1000 Awesome Things. I love reading his blog because each day he celebrates the little awesome things we often overlook in life. This post is a little deeper than what he usually posts, but it's so insightful that I had to share. The original post is here: http://1000awesomethings.com/2014/12/31/340-feeling-it-in-your-bones-2/

Born and blasted into the world you’re a baby brain with wide eyes, chubby legs, and cloudy thoughts. Mom lifts you and picks you, eyes open and close, and fogs rise and settle. Tears stream and faces scream as your swirling brain twists and turns into thoughts…

Nothing makes sense till it does.

Nothing feels right till it does.

Chalk raps on blackboards beside times tables, language stirs sounds into sentences, and stories send you flying into faraway worlds. Book reports and homework inspections, chemistry labs and biology dissections, all fill your spinning brain with numbers and theories and thoughts…

Teenage sleepovers and late night walks, summertime camps and suppertime talks, keep expanding your mind and your understanding of the world. First kisses and first touches,first fights and first blushes, all fill your heart with dreams, expand your brain’s book shelf, and get you thinking about a life below the surface of yourself.

But … sometimes challenging lectures or scattering friends, confusing debates without exams at the end, can frighten your mind and scare dreams away, can frighten your life and trade tomorrows for todays. Family pressures and social graces, broken promises from trusted faces, could suddenly swirl you upside down and scatter your mind or dim your heart…

When nothing makes sense …

… … When nothing feels right …

… … … … When it gets scary to realize…

… … … … … … There are no instructions in life…

That’s when it’s time to stop, it’s time to think, it’s time to pause, it’s time to blink. When you hit the end of the year open your eyes and look behind you. When you hit the end of the year open your eyes and look inside you.

Because today you’re right here …

… … And there’s so far to go …

… … … … And today there’s still fear …

… … … … … … But there’s only one way to know …

Feel it in your bones, feel it in your bones, feel it in your bones.

Feel your bones to move forward, feel your bones to move on, feel your bones to forget, feel your bones to carry on… just feel your bones to say you’re sorry, feel your bones to show you care, feel your bones to choose tomorrow, and feel those bones to get you there.

Because when your world sorts itself out, when your head moves aside, when your heart thumps up front, when that blood bubbles inside, well that’s when you know, that’s when you see, that’s when you finally become … what you were meant to be.

So whatever you’re thinking about today …. stop trying to choose and choose. Whatever you’re searching for today … just look inside for clues. Yes, whatever you’re thinking about … just stop and feel instead. Cause when you feel it in your bones you can smile and forget your head.

Nothing makes sense till you feel it.

Nothing feels right till you know.

Yes, Kat, we are so very fortunate to have such easy access to such a good role model for these kids. Someone they are a little familiar with. It cracked me up, though, we were in a small chapel, maybe 15 rows of pews and they handed him the microphone. Not needed with his big booming voice! :)

Oh,Tracy,I've told you before how much I love Mr.Cain! Lucky kids to have him speak to them! :)

• Like 1

I found a most awesome positive thing to share! A video of "Oh The Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss narrated by John Lithgow! This is probably my favorite book of almost any genre. It was published about the time I was dealing with divorce/the stalking years while trying to recreate my life after so many years of abuse, and I read it so much that I could (and often did) quote most of it by heart. It was my reminder that there are always new chances in life and that adversity was something that happens but could be overcome. It's become a traditional graduation gift because of the way it inspires people to always believe that we can do anything we set our mind to, but I think that no matter what age we are, there are always new places to go and adventures to live and everything is possible as long as we believe in ourselves.

unnamed.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20mMbEB0OhA

• Like 1

Deb, we really needed to be reminded of this story today. Thanks.

You're welcome! It was something that I needed to be reminded of too and I enjoyed having it read to me for a change instead of me reading it to kids. :yes: That book inspires some rather interesting conversations with children but it's a wonderful way to open the door for conversations about real life. I've had some of the best talks to myself after reading it even when there weren't kids around. LOL!

I have another wonderful letter from Dr. Estes to share today. This is one of her new works that she posted yesterday and it's simply lovely. I hope that everyone has a chance to dance with old trees today, even if it's just in your heart.

The Limberlost Pines

Tonight, outdoors, the wind in the pine trees,

the old ones, so tall, so old, limber and swaying

their long green winter fringes

at the ends of their dance shawls...

I greeted them in the dark under starshine....

Hello you Beauty-Beings, you.

I hope you stand long.

Longer than me,

long and long,

so others after me

can see you at night,

and know you were planted

by wind or birds

or elders or the young,

long ago, before we were born

.... and that you Tree Dancers

are, after a long time, even in storm

and in drought,

even despite the metal teeth

of the Forest Eater...

you are my Beauties,

as I hope to be, still here.

Still here.

They all suddenly swayed

to the left then--

but only to suddenly

draw back and

leap to the right then,

their dance shawl fringes

flying hard and harder then.

I thought I understood

their reply

perfectly...

even though I can only hope

to live out their advice

imperfectly.

Tonight, outdoors, with the wind

in the pine trees, I stood

in the middle

of the black tar-top road

and waved my arms

to the wind-beat

and my fingers

were my dance shawl

fringes,

and together

The Beauties

who have lived 100+ years,

the Beauties and I

flew on our fringes

while the cotton tails

watched transfixed

in the cottonwood fall,

and not far off at all

the unseen sang

the young coyotes' song.

Some might say,

The trees and human

together danced

The Old People Pine Tree Dance.

And that would not be wrong....

But really?

This dance

is the most ancient.

This dance, is--

as it has always been:

Dance of the Old Trees

Who Cradle Young Eagles.

And...

May you be one,

or the other,

or all

of these.

So many misguided teachers tried to convince me that trees are always green and the sky is always blue but it never really worked. I even tried to compromise and would color half the tree green just for them, but for some reason that didn't seem to make them happy either. In fact, in some cases it got me called "smart aleck" and I'd end up taking a note home to my parents. My mother (an artist) would respond with a quick sketch of something fanciful and otherworldly in color on the back, sign it and ask me to return it to the teacher. It wasn't long before I learned that when a teacher told me, "But honey, the grass should be green" it was okay to reply, "Not in my world". <chuckling> Today I hope that you find a way to change the perceptions of reality in your world too.

post-329-0-33779900-1421850582_thumb.jpg

In the opening scene of "Star Trek: Into Darkness" the planet they're on has red foliage instead of green, like a shift in the color spectrum. And I have yet to see a tree with truly BROWN bark...

Even in a box of 64 crayons, there still aren't enough colors. LOL!!

I've been sitting outside on the patio tonight thinking that there are times when insomnia has its own rewards. I love being outdoors in the middle of the night when everything is peaceful and serene. Tonight I heard the sound of the train whistles a few miles away and the murmured complaints of restless cattle down the road. The stars were out in full force.........so many that they seemed crowded up there but each one sparkled just the same. The bats were swooping around the porch lights and in the trees catching bugs and bouncing their sonar waves off the sides of the houses that make up urban concrete canyons. But just across the street a pack of coyotes were holding a convention and from the sounds of their howls, many weighty matters were being discussed. Or perhaps they'd simply met for lunch and weren't able to decide on how to split the bill. After they'd finished they sang their songs and went on their way to do the things that coyotes do when the stars light up the desert.

I think that there is a certain kind of strength found in the serenity of solitude. Sometimes we need to get away from the static and noise of life and find the place where our spirits can rest peacefully, even if just for a little while. For me that time is when the moon is shining silver all around me and the wind spirits are blowing gentle kisses and the ground beneath my feet is familiar and strong. That's when tranquility washes over me and I feel in perfect balance.

3001398.jpg

Every day I check the NASA website called "Astronomy picture of the day". Been doing it for years. They have a lovely archive section with hundreds and hundreds of past pictures. You can create desktop backgrounds with them and slide shows. It's very intriguing, breathtaking and calming. I'm an astronomy nut!!

Don't know if I can link it from my phone or not. Here goes.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

Thank you for the picture and for the link. When we were on our way to the last Paddlers' Rendezvous we attended at Jonathan Dickinson State Park we stopped to camp one night at Kissimmee Prairie State Park. It is probably the only place in the entire state of FL where you can be out in the open and there is no light pollution except along the horizon; all the astronomy clubs for miles and miles around go there for skywatching. One of the real treats we weren't prepared for on our 50th wedding anniversary tent-camping jaunt down Skyline Drive and the Blueridge Parkway was coming out of the tent for that 0400 trip to the bathhouse and seeing the Milky Way overhead.

Thought I'd start posting my TOTD here as I do on Facebook. Today's Thought Of a The Day - Remember, whatever you consistently think about and focus on, you move toward. - Be careful of your thoughts. If you focus on what you don't want, guess what happens? Change your words & thoughts to reflect the positive outcome you want to happen. Wishing everyone a Fantabulous day!

post-4-0-87470100-1422036295_thumb.jpg

• Like 1