Positive Affirmations, Good News and Awesome Things

Deb

Debra, it's all in your outlook. I couldn't grab that handicap sticker fast enough. I park in regular spots when I can, but I have no issue using it. After seeing how many people abuse it, I have NO guilt at all. And even though I am older and slower and can't do much of anything I used to, I can still do some stuff and it hasn't changed who I am - in fact, it's probably made me better. The journey is the same, it's just a different path you take to get there. Last summer I was dragging my oxygen hose and a chainsaw around the yard cutting down trees. Took longer, but the goal is to make it to the finish line, not necessarily get there first.

And this has been a great week for me and I thank those who have been along for the ride - it made it all the more fun.

• Like 1

When I was 13, I was diagnosed with a severe learning disability, with math being most severely affected and spelling somewhat less so.

For me, the information I had a disability was liberating in a weird way. It was...."You mean I'm not just stupid???"

In my mid 30's I was diagnosed with ADD-Inattentive Type. Again, it was liberating in a weird way. I finally understood why I got that I-Am-Going-To-Explode-In-8-Different-Directions feelings in meetings and workshops. 

I learnt self advocacy skills, I learnt to manage things drug free and while the disability is a part of me...it is not ALL of me. I am LD and ADD yes. I am also proud First Nations, a successful professional in a profession in which I make a real difference.  I am creative and artistic and musical (although I can't read music very well). Yes, I am scared to build my houses because of the math aspect, I know I can decorate them charmingly. AND, most important...I don't have a perfectionist bone in my body!

So Debra, celebrate your creative and generous soul and the ability to create such beauty as in that lamp you blinged up!!!!

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed the recent proliferation of up-lifting TV commercials featuring animals and children? Of course there is the ongoing saga of the puppy and the Clydesdales, and the Halo tangerines commercial have a certain cuteness factor even while featuring some really disturbed children, but last night Lloyd and I found ourselves wishing we had a copy of the Android commercial that wants us to "be together, not the same" to play at will. I found it on YouTube this morning. The animals plus Roger Miller's "Oo De Lolly" soundtrack from Disney's "Robin Hood" are a perfect combination. It made me glad I have an Android phone. :D Enjoy! 

• Like 2

Has anyone else noticed the recent proliferation of up-lifting TV commercials featuring animals and children? Of course there is the ongoing saga of the puppy and the Clydesdales, and the Halo tangerines commercial have a certain cuteness factor even while featuring some really disturbed children, but last night Lloyd and I found ourselves wishing we had a copy of the Android commercial that wants us to "be together, not the same" to play at will. I found it on YouTube this morning. The animals plus Roger Miller's "Oo De Lolly" soundtrack from Disney's "Robin Hood" are a perfect combination. It made me glad I have an Android phone. :D Enjoy! 

We saw that one last night and I made Bruce rewind so I could watch it again.  I adore Roger Miller in the first place but those animal pairings are simply delightful!  We were both laughing like a couple of kids while watching it.  Thank you SO much for sharing it here!  

Thank you so much for this thread! It is so uplifting to read.

One positive thing for me so far today was a call from the veterinary hospital that I interviewed with a few weeks ago.

They wanted to be sure I was still interested and wanted to let me know they are just getting around to checking references, but will be back in touch soon.

Deb, I'm going to try again with meditation. Do you have any tips, books or websites that you recommend?

I know it would be so helpful for me, but whenever I have tried in the past, I just felt like I couldn't do it. My brain is too busy.

I can also relate to your comment about letting go. In 2011 I got a small tattoo on my wrist that says "let go". It helps remind me that it's ok to just relax and see what the universe has in store for me instead of feeling like I have to be "on alert" and in control. I still struggle with letting go, but it helps to have a reminder with me all the time.

Hope you all have a beautiful day!

Traci,, what helps me with meditation is to let my brain wheels spin until I find an image I can latch onto and focus on.  Once I have that image I can focus on specific features and attach what I want to meditate about (peace, serenity,  central focus) and that works for me.  The clinical psychologist teaching our classes in psych patient care taught us a similar technique for studying that got me through Nursing School.

• Like 1

Deb, I'm going to try again with meditation. Do you have any tips, books or websites that you recommend?

I know it would be so helpful for me, but whenever I have tried in the past, I just felt like I couldn't do it. My brain is too busy.

I used to have no trouble with transcendental meditation but since the strokes it's almost impossible to keep my brain focused without some help so I've learned to use guided meditations.  There are lots of them out there, but IMO, none are as good as Glenn Harrold.  Not only does he have the skills to guide a person into deep meditation and relaxation, but the content of his imagery is smooth and beautifully delivered.  He teaches diaphragmatic breathing techniques in each session which is about half the battle with TM.  He also has a huge selection to choose from so you can be specific in the type of meditation you choose.  I think I have all of them now and constantly watch for new releases.  His use of positive affirmations is one of the best things about his recordings.  Most of them are an hour long with two sessions.........one that brings you back up out of trance at the end and the second that eases you into restful sleep.  (Those work wonders for insomnia)    Audible carries his work in audio book format that can be used on computers, laptops, tablets, phones, etc., and their reader is a free app.  Here's the link for his audio books at Audible:  http://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_3_srAuth?searchAuthor=Glenn+Harrold&qid=1423247644&sr=1-1   

Check on you tube and you'll probably find some there so you can try them out.  They don't have the same quality for the subliminals as the audio books but you can get an idea of whether or not he'd be right for you.   Honestly, there was a time when I think he saved my sanity.  

Your tat sounds perfect Traci.  It's a lovely reminder about one of the most important coping strategies we can have.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you about the vet job.  That's sounding very promising!!

Love the commercial - hadn't seen it before.

I have been inordinately cheered up by this little apple-crate house I'm refurbishing. I've had to put minis away for two or three months, and have now almost finished organizing and cleaning up my craft cottage. I was trying to clear things out so I could build a roombox I've wanted to do for some time now. I'm not sure just how it happened, but after bringing this little house down from the loft to use as a catch-all cupboard, the little thing started talking to me! Now that she was in my line of vision she had my attention and she did NOT want to be a cupboard; she wanted to return to being a house. I've been going out to my cottage almost every night after everyone else goes to bed, and working for a couple hours in the craft cottage (detached from the house in our side yard).  My spirits are lifting and I'm sleeping better at night.  I put on a cheerful CD, lock the door, and lose myself in the joy of minis. 

• Like 2

Having Mary home again and healthy is giving me the same joy I felt seeing Deb back!  Many years ago (the first time I didn't die when I probably would have) I decided that every day I would give thanks for at least one thing that day.  Then I joined this forum and every day I can give thanks for each of you forum family members!

• Like 2

We've all sure been though a lot, haven't we?  Was reading back in this thread and seeing all the caring and love and wonderful words freely given here, well, to say it's heartlifting and wonderful just doesn't seem like saying enough. 

Watched "Forrest Gump" again night before last, and experienced a whole new level of that very special movie.  Lieutenant Dan's ordeal of losing his legs hit home for me, his rage, depression, despair (all of which I experienced in the months before the actual surgery), and finally his coming to terms with his disability and that nothing would ever be the same again, well, I'm there right now.  Somehow seeing Gary Sinise nail those emotions and situations absolutely dead-on helped, and so have a lot of entries by folks right here.  As Forrest said to Lt. Dan, he was STILL Lt. Dan, and someone here said that to someone else here, and it's so true - I am STILL Mary.  And that helps to remember, it really does.  Just my way of doing things is vastly different, but you know, the really important stuff, the stuff that really matters, well, that really is all still here.

• Like 3

Amen .... our disabilities can become our focus OR our ABILITIES can become our focus. We always have a choice.

(not that I'm super good at that but I know it's true, nevertheless).

• Like 2

..........it's so true - I am STILL Mary.  And that helps to remember, it really does.  Just my way of doing things is vastly different, but you know, the really important stuff, the stuff that really matters, well, that really is all still here.

Oh, such wonderfully wise words Mary!!!!  When you go thru a chronic illness for so long it becomes a solitary journey that consumes the spirit until we're able to find our way to the other side of the valley.  There is an incredible joy when you look in the mirror and see yourself in your eyes once again after feeling lost for so long.  

When I reached that point in recovery of being able to recognize that I'd lost myself somewhere along the line, I wasn't sure at first about how to find me again.  I thought and reflected and meditated and even saw a shrink, but none of those things were helping to find the me that I'd lost.  I decided to retrace my steps to locate the last place I'd seen me and it turns out that it was here.  Being with my GL family and friends was the last place where I remembered feeling like me.  I never stopped reading the forum but I wasn't posting because I just wasn't myself during that time.  It was a leap of faith to come back and hope that people would understand my challenges with communication/socialization...........and of course they did.  Being met with open arms and loving hearts is what helped me back on the road to becoming me again.  

Now I'm building again and talking to people and writing and laughing..........my Muse came home and I can see the sunshine even on the cloudiest day.  I'm accepting my limitations and learning how to make the most of what I've got and how to find new ways of accomplishing my goals.   Most important of all, I can look in the mirror and it's me looking back again.   I'm crying like a baby writing this but they are tears of joy.  I'm like Holly; one of the things I'm thankful about each and every day is this sanctuary where my friends and family live.   I think that without you guys I'd still be lost.   

Forbidden_Field.jpg

.....and I'm the most creative when I'm here with you.  

I have a dear friend who has suffered with back problems for many years - she's got steel plates and nuts and bolts in her back - keep her away from a magnet! All of this has caused her a lot of intense pain. She told me once that she had read a book that really helped her focus (sorry, can't remember which one) and her attitude was, "I choose joy!"   But that is so true - we can mope and grumble and feel sorry for ourselves, or we can "choose joy".  I haven't been through the physical problems so many of you have, but I like to think I would be as brave as you all are. But even in lesser problems, we can still choose joy - choose to be thankful for the little things - choose to smile instead of frown. I have been letting my home-stress get the better of me and recently I've just been brought up short and reminded of my friend's words - and I am focusing on CHOOSING JOY!  And working on minis really helps bring back the joy! 

Well I didn't know any better; when I started having the constant chronic pain and mess that goes with some of my health issues I just started focusing on doing any and everything I could to take my mind to a pain-free place.

• Like 1

Okay, time for a joke!  This almost made me snort my Cheerios.

Fresh from my shower, I stand in front of the mirror complaining to my husband that my breasts are too small. Instead of characteristically telling me it's not so, he uncharacteristically comes up with a suggestion.

"If you want your breasts to grow, then every day take a piece of toilet paper and rub it between them for a few seconds"

Willing to try anything, I fetched a piece of toilet paper and stood in front of the mirror, rubbing it between my breasts.

"How long will this take?" I asked.

"They will grow larger over a period of years," my husband replies.

I stopped.

"Do you really think rubbing a piece of toilet paper between my breasts every day will make my breasts larger over the years?"

Without missing a beat he says: "Worked for your butt, didn't it?"

He's still alive, and with a great deal of therapy, he may even walk again although he will probably continue to take his meals through a straw. 

• Like 2