On the hunt for a Federal style dollhouse or an older Walmer house

Crabbygirl13

I'm not giving mine up, I'm not, I'm not!

But I do highly recommend the Jefferson for other Federal period addicts like me. Very adaptable. You can get old-in-box Jeffs on ebay, with patience, at a very nice price.

(Just looked now. You might not need patience at the moment. :) )

• Like 3

I might happen to have something hiding somewhere for you... :)

gallery_1884_1845_51786.jpg

I've been told this is a Walmer Old Town, Jamestown, or Georgetown. Let me know if you're interested. I'll have to do some major digging since everything is still packed up from the move in August.

• Like 2

I'm not giving mine up, I'm not, I'm not!

But I do highly recommend the Jefferson for other Federal period addicts like me. Very adaptable. You can get old-in-box Jeffs on ebay, with patience, at a very nice price.

(Just looked now. You might not need patience at the moment. :) )

So Kelly, which house do you have? ;-) I promise I won't try to persuade you to sell it. Hehehe
  • Like 1

So Kelly, which house do you have? ;-) I promise I won't try to persuade you to sell it. Hehehe

Oh, sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I have a Jefferson! Perfect for a Federal, can be made to look like anything from a clapboard New England house you'd see on This Old House to a stone-covered Pennsylvania Federal that George Washington or John Adams might have rode out to, to escape Philadelphia's summer malaria episodes.

• Like 1

Robin, I also think of the Jefferson when it comes to Federal style... though to be honest, there are a good number of colonial style houses that I think could also be bashed to look like a federal style. Especially when you go trolling through Craigslist right now. lol

• Like 1

Kelly and Kelli,

I fell in love with a couple of older houses (both real life and dollhouses) that I have seen online and in an old catalog. I like the Jefferson for sure. Love the side windows because dollhouses never seem to have enough for me. :-)

This is the house that really caught my eye and captured my heart. Hehehe. Hopefully this low-res pic will be clear enough to see.

post-13582-0-91739400-1420118337_thumb.j

• Like 1

Would this one work? It has lots of windows on the sides as well. It could easily have the dormers added to the roof as it is in your picture and for a fraction of the cost listed in that catalog you have. It has 2 chimneys but the roofline is different on this one and that might be the thing you love about the one you found.

Robin,

I'm just noticing your location as listed as New England -- there is a house listed in the NY Craigslist that is so similar to that(though given would definitely need work)! I'm including the link here for you to check it out, http://erie.craigslist.org/tag/4791402717.html. Also going to throw this simple thought out there -- if you do any of your own woodwork, or have anything like a Lowe's or Home Depot around that would be able to cut plywood for you, I have at least four different sets of house plans(aka dollhouse blue prints and instructions) that I could attempt to copy and send you if you'd be interested. :spoton:

Oh thank you Kelli. I think that after all this talk and looking at houses, I'm just going to patiently see what comes to me. ;-) I did just stumble across a house in a book that I'd like to use as inspiration. And, there's another at Earth and Tree that has that nice roofline I like so much. But, the way things are going, maybe I'll attempt my first scratch build. I can borrow equipment. I have some basic woodworking knowledge. But, first I set a goal of finishing the exterior of my Elliott Bay by June, so got to get to it! :-)

P.S. Selkie, I looked at that house too. I like it very much!

• 4 months later...

Following the discussion on the Walmer knockdown dollhouse, I have something to share. Mr. Walmer made the knockdowns with the pegs, so children from military families could easily take apart their dollhouse and take it with them when they moved. He designed and obtained patents on the knockdowns. I tracked down the Walmer name, and actually talked to his daughter Lucy who told me the Walmer history. When he felt that dollhouse building was becoming more of a collectible hobby with adults than for children, he sold his line to  RGT and they sold them under the Lilliput name. I described my knockdown to Lucy, and she told me it was the Homestead. I have also just acquired an original Lemon Twist--with the offsite door. You can find the patents if you search for them. Finding a knockdown is rare. i have kept my Homestead as it was designed, but am refurbishing the other back to the original design.

• Thanks 1

But Walmer made some beautiful adult collectible dollhouses. I remember the Victorian Mansion, the Devonshire, the Foxhall Mansion that RGT markets now, and especially the Nob Hill and a couple others. I wouldn't consider any of them a child's dollhouse.

I spent most of the day repairing and then priming my 2nd Walmer dollhouse. It is the Lemon Twist and I am guessing it is an original, based on the interior partition depths and window moldings. It is a beauty! The interior is just stained and varnished, so no wallpaper to worry about. I am painting it a light yellow tomorrow with white accents. Then I am renaming it the Sunflower Cottage. Can't wait!!

• 6 years later...