Garfield parts and assembly

13 posts in this topic

So I've put together the foundation pieces and went to put on the first floor but for some reason the nice, smooth finished side of the floor has to be put on face down instead of up. Did I do something wrong with the foundation pieces to where the floor is put on upside down or is that just a manufactor error. I plan on covering the floor with wood flooring so you wouldn't see it but I'm curious as to if this will put errors in the rest of the build. I've had to flip the nice finished side the opposite way on the foundation pieces so it would go together but covering those up as well with stone so I didn't think it was a big deal.

Hi Heather! From what you're describing, the foundation has been assembled inside out and that's why the floor had to go on upside down. It's something that's happened to all of us at one time or another and it leaves you with two choices. You can go on building the house but the rest of it will also have to be built inside out as well and on a house as big as the Garfield, that could present some interesting building challenges later.............or you can unglue your foundation (use a blow dryer to gently heat up the glue enough to pry apart) and just reassemble it with all the pieces facing smooth side out and rough side in.

1 person likes this

I agree with Deb, I think that's what may have happened. You can keep it that way and have a mirror image of the Garfied. I've done that several times on purpose with several builds

Or could the foundation just be upside down? Just a guess, not familiar with the house plan.

Thanks for the quick advise. I got the blow dryer and knife out and managed to get all the pieces taken apart without damaging anything. Thanks again. Hopefully I'll get things back on track tomorrow without any more errors. Thanks again!

1 person likes this

You're doing great Heather! The foundation on the Garfield and the Pierce is a little confusing because all the pieces look pretty much the same. When I was building my first Pierce I learned that writing the number of the piece on it in pencil would be a good idea because I ended up building it upside down. Twice. :ohyeah: One thing that helped me with getting a visual orientation on that foundation was to tape the front steps into dry fit too and practice fit the unit to the front foundation piece. After that you have an orientation on which side is up and I found that helped a lot.

Joining in the "been there done that" club with my Garfield on the first go at my foundation. sigh ...

And about those steps, well, let's just say I think they are very hard. Mine came about with lots of help from many *magic words*.

Ah, yes, mini of the houses I've built wouldn't have made it without those many *magic* words! (I noticed that the neighborhood cats have developed an interest in hanging out at my workshop door!)

Thanks again for the help! The instructions aren't very helpful. I've read them several times and had to figure out on my own where to put #14 through #18 foundation pieces. They tell you were to put #1 through #13 but not the rest and then there are the three little foundation pieces A, B, and C and they don't tell you where to put those. I've had to go off of the one picture that has it and also read other people's blogs about the Garfield. Do the instructions get better as you start building the house or am I still going to have to guess where things go?

I found the Garfield's foundation to be challenging and a bit confusing but this was and is my first dollhouse. I looked at other blogs and pictures and kept dry fitting the pieces. It finally began to make sense but that is why dry fitting the pieces is so critical and before you begin glueing. It's really like a big puzzle and sometimes if you step away from your project a light bulb will suddenly go off. Once the foundation is done then the rest really does become easier although the staircases with all the pieces is time consuming. Soon it will make more sense. Good luck and don't rush and have fun.

I don't plan on rushing through it. Just figured the instructions would be a little more specific. But least I have this forum and blogs to help with problems I encounter.

I dont know if this is what I did but omg something is wrong with it ! I can flip the floor over and it will work but I don't know how I managed that as everything is smooth side out =( 

I dry fitted my foundation with lots of tape first. ( I need more tape, I think!) And when it came to gluing it was pretty much easy. :)