Hello All! Building my first dollhouse...The Garfield.

Shannon17

Hello Everyone,

My name is Shannon and this is my first time building a dollhouse. My kit arrived in November, but I just opened it yesterday-to read the instructions, plus I have been doing research online (and collecting ingredients to help with the build) in order to prepare for this big project. Although I am excited to "start" building I feel like I have a lot of reading in this forum on how best to proceed. So far I am super grateful that this site offers so many helpful tips. Good day to all!

TC,

Shannon

Hi, Shannon, and :welcome: to the forum. We have several members in the early stages of Garfield building as well as several who have completed a Garfield, so you're in good company. This year seems to be the Year of the Garfield. The past couple of years have been more like the Years of Beacon Hill.

Hi, Shannon! I am working on my first build, as well. It's quite the process, but I'm learning so much! Please share pictures of your progress! I'm happy to meet a fellow novice; sometimes it can be intimidating, seeing all the beautiful work, here. We'll get there!!

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Scarlett's papa said:

I just opened my Garfield house. This is my first build. Looking for all the help and tips I can get. It looks like it will be a long process. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Don’t use hot glue, use a good wood glue.

• Like 1

I have one of those, also; I happen to have a few more ahead of it in the pile and a Brimble's Mercantile on the workbench.  I do suggest reading over the instructions a few times.  Put the clear acetate door & window inserts between the pages of the Warm-Up sheets and setting them in the box lid during the build, to prevent losing or damaging them.  Dry fit (put together with painters' or masking tape before gluing) sections of the house to adjust the tabs & slots to get a perfect fit; I generally do the basic shell to get an idea of where places are that I won't be able to get my hands into to decorate later.  I also begin to decorate as I build.  I do a lot of tracing during the dry fit and masking off the parts I'll glue later, since I glue bare wood to bare wood.  Do take your time, you'll be very glad with the results if you do.  Don't freak out to find the house talking to you; listen to it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scarlett's papa said:

Wish me luck.

Your good luck clicked in when you joined this forum, Scott. Welcome! Whatever questions or challenges that arise can be answered/solved here. Among us we reflect a wide variety of approaches to building dollhouses, especially techniques. A major benefit of the forum is that a question often elicits a variety of options/approaches. It helps the questioner find the best fit for the way he or she works. With a few exceptions, our mantra is: There is no right way.

A few guidelines:

• Ignore the suggestion in the instructions to use hot glue. It will, in time, deteriorate, causing the house to fall apart. Use wood glue or an all purpose white glue, like Aileen's Tacky Glue. We each have our own preference.
  • Dry fit the build. That is, use masking or painter's tape to hold pieces together before you even think about glue. This will show you if pieces need an adjustment to fit perfectly, like widening slots, shaving tabs, etc. This will also show you the parts of the house that will be difficult to access once the bits are glued. The Garfield has some. It's an extra step that is well worth while. There is no extra credit given for speed in building. :D You may want to do some interior decorating (paint, wallpaper, wainscoting, ceiling treatment) as you build, especially in hard-to-reach places. It will also help you determine your wiring scheme.
  • Read the instructions through several times before you begin, so you'll have an idea of what's ahead. You may also want to read through member Gina's blog, where she gives a detailed blow-by-blow constructing her own Garfield. She includes things she might have done differently, always useful to know.
  • Take a lot of progress photos. For one thing, we're picture junkies, and for another, it will be helpful to you to be able to look back to see, "Oh, that's how I did that." After you've made 5 posts, you can open an album in the Gallery. It's a good idea to post the picture there and provide links to them in future posts. There is a limit to the number of photos that can be posted in messages; there is no limit to the number of photos that can be squirreled away in your albums.
  • Speaking of posting -- it would be a good idea to start a new thread with a clear subject line, like "Scott's Garfield", and do all of your posting about this house in that thread. Easy to you to keep track of and very helpful for another Garfield builder to follow your progress.

One last thing to remember: no question is a dumb question. If something puzzles you, it probably puzzled others, too. Ask! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...