Suggestion for General Mini Talk section

Soapz

Hello Everyone,

I saw that Deb is trying to make things easier for our newer members in regards to finding things.

Today - as usual - I've been digging around in the forum and realized that we have almost 19000 topics in the general mini talk section which makes searching rather challenging. as there are over 600 pages - yet if I search for generic terms like "electric(al) or lighting only about 100 topics show up - the term 'house" generates only 50 results. Are the search results limited? Or is the section too big?

I think that the General Mini section could use a few sub categories. It is often swamped with questions about resources like raw building materials (wood, bricks, resins, and others), tools (electrical power tools, hand tools), finishing supplies (stains, paint, landscaping stuff), interior finish and furnishing (textiles,wallpapers, trims, furniture kits).

Would it make sense to add some categories to the mini talk section? And maybe have a pinned "resource" thread at the beginning of each where links to suppliers are pinned? I am aware we are talking about a lot of work here, then again I'm also sure that if we use one topic in each new section to link existing threads that fit the category, members would be more than willing to start looking for these threads and link them there, so they would be easier to move for the moderators.

If my suggestions is worth consideration, I think adding these categories would make sense:

Resources:

- Building supplies & Tools

- Exterior 

- Interior

How to's:

- Finishing the house

- Furnishing the house

I believe this would cover most topics that would get lost otherwise. There is so much knowledge in the forum - it would be a pity if new members couldn't benefit from it.

So, these are my two cents - what do you all think about that?

Is it feasible? Doable?

• Like 4

This is exactly what I'm working on Chris.  I just need some time and when I start working on the logistics, I'll post for suggestions and ideas.  We're getting there, just not ready for that step yet.   Hang in there please and I'll get what we need, I just have to go in small, sequential stages to get there.  I was talking about that in the thread for the Gazette tutorial links earlier this morning.  Please be patient with me. 

• Like 7

Yes- this sort of thing would be very helpful!  I've been on the board for several years now and I am sure that I have barely even begun to sort thru all of the information on here!

Deb- I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the work that you put into this forum!  We will be patient. Promise.  :)

• 2 months later...

Yes, please. I was searching last night for topics on LED lights, and found almost nothing. Surely it's been asked/talked about before? Searching for very general terms like "flooring" seems to overload the search engine and it shuts down.

I'm brand new here, so still learning how to navigate the forums, so take that for what it's worth.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...