Hello from New York!

myarmcanfly

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forums because I'm also new to miniatures. I think I'm coming at it a bit backwards, since most people I see seem to start with a house, then furnish it, and then (sometimes) add dolls as a finishing touch. I'm starting with a lovely little 1/12th doll and planning to slowly build up a place for her to live!

I participate in a lot (*cough* too many!) of crafting-based hobbies, so I do have some experience with painting and making that I hope will help me get started, but I also don't have a lot of free time on my hands so I expect to go slow. Right now I'm working full time at a regular job, working 10-15 hours a week making resin and felt creatures to sell, and spending what time I have left painting gaming minis and larger dolls as well as learning crochet and embroidery. I probably have a bit too much on my plate, but I've always had a fascination with dollhouses and even though I have to start with a room box due to limited apartment space I think the time is right to get into it properly!

So, anyways, hello! I'm excited to poke around the forums and gaze in awe at everyone's lovely work, and I hope you guys don't mind a few questions about the process as I learn.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

You will find others here who are building houses for ther doll(s) so you are not alone. If you are really wanting a house rather than a room box, consider one of the smaller one room houses instead. But whatever you do decide, have fun!

Welcome to the family! We are glad you are here.

We love to answer questions and don't ever think a question is stupid one either. Holly will tell you (and she's correct) there are never any stupid questions.

It does seem that we all have had our hand in various crafts before and even after we dove into our obsession. I think all our previous crafts help us work on our houses.

Looking forward to seeing what you are doing with your roombox and other crafts. After 5 posts you can start an album.

Thank you both for the warm welcome! I can't wait to get started.

Dalesq - I would love to build a little cottage type of house, especially with a little extra attic space! Unfortunately, I live in a sort of person-sized room box myself, and because of that I have a strict 13" cube limit on the exterior of anything I build. I have yet to find a kit quite that petite, and I worry that adding exterior detail would cut down the interior size too much. Someday, though, I hope to live somewhere with a bit more space where I can build and play to my heart's content!

Thanks, everybody! What a welcoming community :) I've spent my down time today checking out the member galleries, and I have to say, I'm really loving a lot of the Aster Cottage kits.... That fireplace is just amazing! Even if I can't fit the whole house into my life right now, I'm gonna have to try my hand at a fireplace like that one.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, guys! I don't have the materials together to get started on my roombox, but I did order some House of Miniatures furniture kits to play with today! Moth (the tiny doll) has to have somewhere to sit and oversee construction, after all!

Like you, I don't have a lot of free time. I've been working on my first house for about 3 years now but it is large house and I only work on it about an hour a day but that was the intention when I started it so I'm definitely in no hurry to finish it.

Although I do have 4 other houses sitting in the wings waiting and I'm getting the itch to start another one so.....