Opinions on flooring wanted

DebbyC

I am just getting ready to start the Beacon Hill. I have individual wood strips that I am going to use for the floor. I am thinking I want to install the floor before starting the walls since each piece will have to be glued down and then the whole floor stained. Any opinions are welcome.

Definitely dry fit the shell and draw pencil lines long the bottom of each wall on each side where it will touch the floor, and do not lay flooring strips there; the thickness of the strips will throw off the fit. I cut and split iron-on wood veneer into flooring strips, which I install after the build, but if you have hard to reach areas like stairwells you will want to do those first. Also do your dry fit with the stairs set in place, and also trace around the base of the stairs and do not lay flooring where the stairs will go. I had this issue when I was putting the floors in the Magnolia: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=11128; http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=11129 and http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=11233

That sounds good except....I have not built a house for over 15 years and I want to do it different this time. I am afraid to punch out the pieces before I actually need them so how do I dry fit if I don't have the pieces out? I guess you better consider me a beginner with this and totally ignorant. Can't I lay the floor up to the wall slots? I hope you know what I mean.

I would think if you are careful to draw some nice straight lines where the walls would go, you might be able to do that. You might think about just punching out one wall to use as a measuring tool. By that I mean, since all the walls are the same thickness, any one of them could be used to measure with.

If you pop out one and set it's tab into a slot, you can trace the edge with your pencil for your edge of the floor line. Move that piece around and pop it in and out of slots and do the same until you have it lined all the way around.

It's just a different way to get to the same end as using all the walls at once.

On the other side of things, I'd not be afraid to use all the large wall pieces. You can lightly label them and put them back into the sheets when you are done. It's the little pieces that I usually wait to punch out. But that's just me.

what I did with mine was to build the house first then I made paper templates and glued the sticks to the templates then glued the templates in. added benefit was that I could work on the floors watching TV it's kind of tedious so that was nice