2015 HBS Creatin' Contest kit

Deb

http://www.miniatures.com/22nd-Annual-Creatin-Contest-W6.aspx?media=WPC3502

Sooooooooooo, have you seen it yet? Did it send that shiver down your back and make your heart beat a little faster?

I like it. It's a nice size and the slight arch in the roof is intriguing. The sliding doors are also tres cool. I doubt that I'll enter the contest but I think I'll get the kit and fool around with it. I need a roombox for my mother of pearl inlay furniture and this might be a very nice way to display it. I have a living room and dining room set with nowhere to live and I get a real Asian vibe from this little house. It might be a lot of fun to play around with.

So, what do y'all think? Who's going to build and who is going to enter?

• Like 2

It's OK, but again, a little on the large side. I really wish they'd do a smaller one for something different. Having said that, I think I'll enter. I have an idea and most of the items needed to finish it. I will however cut it down a fair bit to make it a manageable, storable size.

Just need to know what I'm up for with shipping to Australia. That's the killer. Last year's kit was about $80 US for shipping! I didn't buy it.

I'm not entering the contest and have so many kits waiting to be built its not funny, plus I've slowed down dramatically in my build time that I'm not even tempted.

The kit reminds me of our now-vacant Uncle Bubba's Country Store which closed down shortly after a cross-state police chase ended when the police stop-sticks blew out the felon's tires and he skidded into Uncle Bubba''s parking lot and ran inside with his shotgun and stood there behind the glass doors pointing it t the approaching police officers. It took the insurance company less than two weeks to replace the glass, and I don't know how long the felon spent in hospital before he went on to jail to await trial, but he's been a guest of the state correctional system ever since.

I would never have guessed the dimensions were that large just by looking at the pictures. I measured it out on my table and was amazed at the interior space. Not sure it's in my future.

I've got so many kits and so much less time each day that passes to ever build them all.

My next "new" project is my Baba Yaga one and I'm still in the gathering/researching stage of that one.

(p.s. I'm slow - like the proverbial molasses running uphill in January)

• Like 1

With the house move in 2014, I didn't get around to building the CC kit last year. But, I never revealed my idea for it, either. And, the new kit will work just as well if not better for that idea. So, I'm likely in. Just mulling over it a bit to make sure. :D

• Like 3

I'm not inspired, but I am curious about the inside. The blurb mentions rafters, but the photos don't show them, and it appears that the curve of the roof would make them difficult to see.

I'm not inspired, but I am curious about the inside. The blurb mentions rafters, but the photos don't show them, and it appears that the curve of the roof would make them difficult to see.

Agreed. almost like the downward curve should be the front of the building, not the back. :hmm:

Kathie, they are curved rafters. You can see them supporting the front overhang. :)

I'm not entering but I think it's got lots of possibilities. From the photos I thought it was a rectangular footprint, but it's more square (20x20ish).

Kathie, they are curved rafters. You can see them supporting the front overhang. :)

Yes, I see the ends of the rafters, but I'd like to see the rest of the rafter inside the building. With the back edge of the roof lower than the front (as it appears to be), it will be difficult for a viewer to see them. A photo of the interior would satisfy me.

I decided on the last one I am taking a year off ;) I like many folks have so many half builds, plans and just plain work to do!

I highly suggest if you thinking about it..to just get in there and do it. Its great if you can ping some ideas off of a few friends like Jenny, Kelly and I did. We all kept each other going!

Also its a interesting thing to have a year long project that you kinda "have" to keep to..because we all know life gets in the way but Mini'ing is good medicine for the mind..and I suggest you always keep a dose close by :bear:

I look forward to rooting for you all :beer:

~J

I decided on the last one I am taking a year off ;) I like many folks have so many half builds, plans and just plain work to do!

I highly suggest if you thinking about it..to just get in there and do it. Its great if you can ping some ideas off of a few friends like Jenny, Kelly and I did. We all kept each other going!

Also its a interesting thing to have a year long project that you kinda "have" to keep to..because we all know life gets in the way but Mini'ing is good medicine for the mind..and I suggest you always keep a dose close by :bear:

I look forward to rooting for you all :beer:

~J

Must resist the temptation..............nooooo nope hmm but if I use a coupon..../sigh That thing would weigh a TON after I slapped paper clay all over it! lol

Its true what Jane said having your friends cheer/motivate you along helps that year long build. Shrunkin heads and dragon eggs gave me a push when i was in a slump! :banana:

• Like 1

I yawned when I first saw it.

Then I looked a little closer and saw that curved roof. Ooooooh.

VERY interesting.

It hasn't spoken to me yet to tell me that it wants me to do something with it, so maybe it doesn't.

But darn, that roof keeps making me think about it. It's an intriguing design. They done good!!

I don't think I'll join in this time. I keep getting sidetracked by the smaller builds, and my Federal Manor is begging for my attention. I'd rather put my time in on getting her up and running.

I,thought about entering, but the kit just doesn't speak to me. I think I'll wait and see what the RGT build along project is this year and do,that one instead.

It keeps talking to me and I'm pretty sure that it's going to end up being an opium den eventually. I still don't want to enter the contest because my brain doesn't deal with deadlines very well anymore, but I think I *do* want it in my collection. The roof is just too tempting to resist and I'm pretty addicted to open floor plans these days. There's just too much potential to walk away.

Jeff, I cheered out loud when you said you were in!! Awesome!!!!

• Like 2

Deadlines seem to help me. Of all my builds, there is only one I completed on my own schedule and that took two years to do with smaller contest builds in between. :lol: I've been working on getting an accessory from the UK for this one. If that pans out, I'm in! :ohyeah:

Deadlines seem to help me. Of all my builds, there is only one I completed on my own schedule and that took two years to do with smaller contest builds in between. :lol: I've been working on getting an accessory from the UK for this one. If that pans out, I'm in! :ohyeah:

<happy dancing> Okay, now I'm crossing my fingers and rooting for your supplier in the UK to come thru because if there's one thing I love to look forward to, it's another Brae creation! Go girl!!!!

saw the kit in the catalog and it immediately screamed 'Asian' to me too. I even have a little kimono and some other related items, but I'd never get it done in time.

MJ, I have some tutorials somewhere for making kimonos, kimono stands, and kimono chests. I know they ran in a magazine in the UK but I can't remember if we ever ran them in the Gazette. I'm getting ready to head out for the day but when I get home I'll see if I can find them if you're interested. They're all super fast and easy to do. I think I may have something about how to make a Japanese futon and tatami mats, and wooden geisha pillows as well but don't quote me on that until I've had a chance to look.

• Like 2