accidental copper

dooder85

Copper patina/ verdigris can be simulated by adding a very small amount of blue to green and then adding white until it looks right. I love how the red oa stain works with aluminum foil. Aaron, that's brilliant!

• Like 1

The sample you show is a piece of artwork I'd hang in my living room, Aaron. Thanks for sharing. :hmm: ... :idea:

Thinking: apply underlayer of texture with string, cardboard, beads, buttons, mesh, etc., cover with foil scrunched and wrinkled and smoothed with care, coat with stain, add verdigris, clear coat with combo of matte and gloss in strategic places ... <eyes rolling back in head as a string of mental thumbnail sketches float through my mind>

There is a "canvas" -- actually a shallow cardboard box that Lloyd prepared with gesso more than a year ago -- hanging on the wall in the studio looking lonely.

One question: oil or water base stain?

• Like 1

<standing back and watching the gears turning in Kathie's head> This is gonna be good. :popcorn:

This truly is a marvelous concept and I can't wait to try it. I've painted foil to make water with waves but never would have thought of staining it to get a copper look. Thank you SO much for sharing coz I can see this coming in VERY handy for steampunk stuff. Awesome!

• Like 2

lol well i'm glad ya'll are as excited as i was after the first stroke of stain went on, it was like christmas!

I used the minwax oil stain, as of this morning it was still sticking to the foil and shiny.. so gloriously shiny, i need a house that is at the roofing stage immediately to try this in miniature. you get different depths/tones depending on shiny side up or down. I dont' know what i was expecting, but it certainly wasn't this (i tend to just randomly mix things to see what happens)

• Like 2

You're a kindred soul, Aaron. Some of my best stuff has been the result of "What will I get if I do..."

<nodding in agreement> I mix most of my own paints, fabric dyes, and stains to come up with the shades I want that are just slightly left or right of the actual colors. It always makes me laugh when people ask for the name of a certain color I've used and I have no idea what to tell them.

• Like 1

I just bought copper foil sheets and patina liquid. I'm doing it today hopefully. If I screw it up, this could be a great option. I certainly have what I need. I love when mistakes happen in my favor. Lol it IS " like Christmas. " lol

The only downside to mixing your colors came back to bite me this fall when I was rejuvenating my kitchen island. I had mixed the stain some 15 years ago and was making an extension to it. I spent hours upon hours upon hours mixing and testing until I found something close enough to match.

Bottom line advice: write down your formula and store it in a place you will remember !!!!!!!!

• Like 2

The only downside to mixing your colors came back to bite me this fall when I was rejuvenating my kitchen island. I had mixed the stain some 15 years ago and was making an extension to it. I spent hours upon hours upon hours mixing and testing until I found something close enough to match.

Bottom line advice: write down your formula and store it in a place you will remember !!!!!!!!

LOL Selkie, I like to mix my own paints and stains too, and learned the hard way to write down the formulas :)

i just used the regular aluminum foil, ripping wasn't really a concern - the only rips were where I had to size down the piece i was working on gluing.

Thanks! I'm very new at building. I love it when you see something beautiful made from something ordinary and unexpected.

• Like 1

I think the practical approach would be to mold it first, apply the stain last.

That's what I've done using paint on foil for both water and a rusty tin roof but even in the move none of the paint chipped off at all. (Something I was worried about when I was packing them.) I still wouldn't want to form it once the paint or stain has dried, but foil has surprisingly strong bonding properties.