Adhesive for Wallpaper

suej

Please help a girl out..there are many choices, but what kind of paste do you all use to apply your wallpaper? Do you recommend gluing the paper to a template first, then gluing the template in place on the wall? or just apply the paper directly to the wall?

Thanks in advance!

Sue

Hi suej! I made templates of the walls and used those to cut out my wallpaper, but I pasted the wallpaper directly onto the wall. I used a glue called "Yes", which worked very well. I had seen somewhere that this was a glue that was recommended for wallpapering dollhouses. I templated the ceilings for the ceiling paper, too.

Good luck - it can be a little tricky but the results are so satisfying!

:bigwink:

• Like 1

I know some people swear by Yes, but I had problems with it and now use Wallpaper Mucilage -- you can find it at HBS. I've also seen it at my local Hobby Lobby. Be sure to prime your walls first since the wood can discolor paper over time.

http://www.miniatures.com/Wallpaper-Mucilage-P17925.aspx

• Like 1

I've used YES as well as several other miniature types of mucilage.

Holly swears by regular household wallpaper paste. Others use glue sticks and white glues applied with brushes.

I think the weight of the paper you choose can have a bearing on how well something holds.

Some foks use fabric for the walls and fabric glue.

The most important thing, imo, is to be sure your paper and glue are acid free/archival so your work won't deteriorate.

I've always applied it directly to the primed wall.

When in doubt, I always make test samples first. It saves a lot of headaches later for any of the miniature processess.

• Like 2

I use the "Grandma Stover's"....not sure if that is the same as the YES paste? I've tried the gel-like mucilage with terrible results! LOL so I stick with (sorry 'bout the pun) the Grandma Stover's. :)

I apply my paste directly to the paper and then directly onto the primed wall. Some folks apply the glue to the wall, rather than the paper.

So many choices! Just find one that works the best for you. :)

• Like 2

I tried some regular wallpaper paste from Lowe's and it was awful, didn't stick at all. At one point I had a little squeeze tube of wallpaper border glue that worked great. For now, I'm using decoupage glue because I have a big jar of it. I glue right to the wall, then trim after it dries.

• Like 1

As the Selkie has noted, I use the premixed wallpaper paste I buy in large tubs from the hardware store. I usually apply the paste to the primed wall, as this gives me "wiggle" room to wiggle and slide the paper into place before it tries to stretch or buckle. You want to red the label on the RL containers carefully, as once I bought wallpaper "paste" for pre-pasted wallpaper, and it does NOT paste unpre-pasted wallpaper...

• Like 2

I have used several types of adhesives for wallpaper but I personally like Yes Paste. Wallpaper mucilage and Grandma Stovers are basically the same as Yes Paste so they will work fine. They are just a little more difficult to find so you will have to order them online. Always prime your walls with a light colored, flat paint before you apply the wallpaper.

Mod Podge, tacky glue or white glue are basically all the same thing and will work but are difficult to use because they dry very quickly and you don't have time to move your wallpaper for the perfect fit.

Glue sticks are terrible. They won't stick correctly. Double sided carpet tape, glue dots or strips will work but have to be used with caution as they can make the wallpaper ink bleed in some cases.

You only need to apply your wallpaper to templates if your electrifying. It will make electrical repairs in the future easier. Otherwise, stick that wallpaper right to the walls...;)

• Like 2

I use white glue or Super 77 spray adhesive. With white glue I get best results applying it in a very thin coat to primed walls rather than the paper. The spray adhesive is sprayed on the paper and then applied to the walls.

• Like 1

I have been using the dry wallpaper paste that you mix with water yourself. I comes in a little carton from the hardware store. You only mix as much as you need at a time. But, this last wallpapering job I used a Xyron machine with the permanent adhesive cartridge. It worked great! No fuss, no mess, and it stuck to the walls very well. And it is archival quality adhesive that will not yellow the paper. LOVE IT!!!

• Like 1

Oh my! It seems that I should just pick one and go with it. Then for next project I may try a different one until I have some personal experience. Leaning toward regular wallpaper paste this first time since I have used it for RL wallpaper many years ago. Thanks so much for the input/education.

There's an Ace's near me too and they often have the right things if the big name chains don't have it. Also, the prices can be better. You have to shop around. Hubby needed some pointy end staples for a RL reupholstery project and Ace's had them. I like their brand of paint too.

• Like 1

I need a t-shirt that says, "I am a pest". I promise I will lighten up on all the questions..eventually. I read on this forum recently (and I can't remember where it is) that if I am applying wallpaper to a template, and then placing the template on the wall for easy removal the paper should be sealed. I'm assuming I would use something like double stick tape between the template and the primed wall. Then the wallpaper is glued to the template. So what exactly would I seal? Would it be the template BEFORE I glue the wallpaper to it? And would I seal the template on the front and back. Thanks so much y'all. I hope I learn enough to be able to pay it forward.

I need a t-shirt that says, "I am a pest". I promise I will lighten up on all the questions..eventually. I read on this forum recently (and I can't remember where it is) that if I am applying wallpaper to a template, and then placing the template on the wall for easy removal the paper should be sealed. I'm assuming I would use something like double stick tape between the template and the primed wall. Then the wallpaper is glued to the template. So what exactly would I seal? Would it be the template BEFORE I glue the wallpaper to it? And would I seal the template on the front and back. Thanks so much y'all. I hope I learn enough to be able to pay it forward.

The wood surface needs to be sealed to prevent chemicals from leeching out of the wood and discoloring the paper. No need to seal the paper. It's a good idea to use acid-free paper or card stock for the template.

As for sealing fabric wall covering, I wouldn't seal it unless it was to create a particular surface texture.

• Like 1