Dear Abby letter

amyole

I can't even imagine such a thing from my daughter...we would have some words right then and there.Now a D I L maybe ??????

This daughter seems so fixed on shallow,superficial things.......sad.

April

I am mother to 3, grandmother to 4 with #5 on the way.

My one son-in-law does not like "homemade" crafty items. But even he would not hurt me or his daughter about something given to her.

The gift is for the child, not the mother and if one of my daughters ever said something like that to me she would get an earful, believe me.

For one thing none of my children would think to hurt my feelings like that. I feel so sorry for this grandmother. Especially since the grandchildren obviously live far away.

Makes me mad!

• Like 1

For you who are Grandmas and have made things for your grandkids, tell us about the positive experiences you've had. I think that situations like the one in the letter are unfortunate but rare. I don't have kids or grands so I miss out on the good stuff and can't get enough of it. What's it like to give a gift made of love from the heart and have a grandchild fall in love with it? As an adult, do you still have gifts made for you by your grandmother that you cherish?

for me it was my own grandaughter

I built her a Laurel one summer she was coming to visit...we left all the kid stuff in Mo so I thought I would build her and brother some fun stuff to do

it was to late... she was less than thrilled over the house and would not play with it...I tried not to have hurt feelings until I over heard her tell

her friend who wanted to play with the house....and told my girl...your nannie worked hard on this its so pretty..and Pixie said...well its not like it cost 75$ or nothing

and no one played with it....and Jax would not and does not play with skull mountain....very hurtful...

my own daughter would NEVER say such things but Im sure the DIL who knew I had been building the house for her made those kind of remarks before she arrived...

I gave the Laurel away and when she says anything about it...I remind her that home made items are not good enough for her...I wont build her another...

someday when I no longer have use of my houses perhaps she will take one of mine for herself and her children...or not...

sad that other granny had to be made to feel like that...it hurts like hell.... even on the cheap as I always work I had about 100 into the house in materials...no stash here to work from so I had to purchase everything I needed to build it....

Now when her friends come and they ooo and aaahhh...I hope it makes her feel sad that she acted so.... I love her but OUCH!

on the upside...I did a house for 2 of my nieces once and everything in it was GLITTER and those girls still talk about it and the house is still a treasured object...I have offered to redo it in a more grown up style and they are like NO WAY....

• Like 1

That is sad. I can't imagine being treated like that. I could have been kept in the girl's room if it didn't meet 'public' standards.

I have many items from people. I have hand stitched toys my aunt made for my girls (I should hand them over to them I guess) and I have an amazing fairy house a neighbor made me and many other crafts. I have gotten items in the past that I just couldn't use and after a time they just faded away, but I could never be rude about a gift.

• Like 2

My oldest granddaughter is 12, very into her smartphone and too cool to play with her little sister after school (although she is actually a very good big sister). Well I just started on my first dollhouse, the Beacon Hill, and when I told her it would be hers someday (if I ever finish!), she asked if she could help. We've been discussing colors for the rooms, etc. Love it, since she is going into her teens and communication can be difficult.

I am lucky, I am the only one in the family that can "make things", sketch and sew. I made prom dresses for my daughters, costumes for plays, quilts. I also have a 7 yr. old grandson and two 3 yr old granddaughters and they always love whatever I might make them.

My own grandmother used to make me things. Although she really wasn't good at crafts I treasure everything she made me. I hang the ornaments, needlework and even have a miniature that I will use in the dollhouse.

How can you not love what someone has put love and time into???

• Like 1

I felt so bad for grandma after I read that - I just can`t help but think that if one of my own children had said something like that to me I would have been speechless with hurt :weep: maybe the daughter was never given a dollhouse of her own and she`s jealous her daughter got something she never did?

That poor grandma and her little granddaughter!

I was thinking of giving my older granddaughter one of the dollhouse I made when she came for a visit a few years ago when she was 8 or 9. When I showed her my dollhouses she had no interest in them at all, so I didn't offer her one.

I'll have to wait and see if the younger granddaughter will appreciate them or not. She'll be 4 in a couple of months and I'm hoping she still loves playing with her Calico Critters house.

It just goes to show you that you can teach values to your child and once they leave you, you see if your hard work paid off. Her daughter just let her down on so many levels. I'm sure as she presented the gift, she shared all of her hand made projects with her grand daughter. Too bad her daughter didn't listen. Maybe she did listen, but clearly she didn't " hear". I would say something, but that's me. I'm 42 and my mother still calls me out if I'm being a jerk.

• Like 1

I read that letter today, too, and feel for the grandmother. Some kids are so insecure they have to have expensive (not necessarily good) things to show off. The daughter missed a chance to teach her little girl about manners, creativity, and limited means. Such an omission. I hope the daughter never hits hard times. She won't know how to cope.

On a better note, I never knew if my kids appreciated the things I'd made for them until my daughter's baby shower 18 months ago. I gave her a bear, a giraffe, a small soft Nessie (Lochness monster) all home made. One of the guests kind of gushed about where the toys were purchased, and my daughter said "Oh, my mom makes them. She's the bomb with toys." My (indifferent) son has made scale houses/car garages for all of his kids because he still has the barn we made together when he was little.

Warmed me top to toe.

• Like 3

My ex fiancee's mother (many years) ago had the same attitude. For some people love comes only with price tags. I made her guest towels, she used them as dishrags. My ex after seeing her reaction to my work did not dare tell her the candle wreaths that he had given her....were also made by me.

Now, on the other hand, I made stuffed dolls with wardrobes for my niece and my friend's daughter. They loved them, as did their mothers, who knew and understood the craftsmanship that went into it. I also made Holly Hobbie, Anne Shirley and Diane Barry dolls for a dear friend. Her husband restricts the number of dolls on display....but those three are never rotated out....

• Like 1

Years ago when we hit a very hard time, my husband took me to half the thrift stores in Denver looking for like new yarn and I crocheted a big box full of funny hats and scarves and ponchos and "magical capes" for my daughter's then five children. I got polite thank-yous, but this year she told me, "You know, the year we got that big box of crocheted things was one of the best Christmas's ever...." I got misty....

• Like 3

All three of my granddaughters (and one grandson) are ecstatic over their houses. When I asked the oldest (17 at the time) if she was too old for a dollhouse I got a resounding NEVER. I know that if I had ever spoken such things to my mother I would be looking at the world through one eye socket.