Show and Tell: The Love Shack

Deb

I got pictures taken of the Love Shack today and uploaded some new eye candy into the gallery. If you have the winter blues and need something bright and colorful to wake up your eyes, this might be it!

The house is the Ashai Tea House kit from Spring Fling 2012. It started yelling "Love Shack!" and "Tin roof! Rusty!" at me as soon as I saw the prototype and I never turned back. It's completely different from anything else I've ever done but it was a lot of fun to go crazy with the paint and colors. In fact, the rainbow wall inside is fingerpainted which was a blast to do. It's not mean to be a perfect rendition of the Love Shack but it's got enough of the iconic features to be recognizable to the MTV generation.

After I finished it, I sat back and contemplated the fact that my Muse has a really twisted sense of humor. I'm pretty sure that she's off in a bar somewhere with the other Muses, laughing like a hyena and saying, "OMG, she actually did it!" I'm ignoring her because I know that the kit will always be what the kit wants to be and we don't really get a say in it.....we just go along for the ride. But I have to admit that it's made me laugh all along the way and that's all that matters.

Here's the link for the album: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=7163

gallery_329_7163_306568.jpg

Oh, if you want to see how it compares to the original B-52s video, here's the youtube link.

Watch that first and then check out the album. <chuckling> It's kinda fun to spot the similarities; like one of those "find the differences" twin pictures.

• Like 8

Oh yeah, can't get the song gone now, you fiendish woman!

<wicked chuckle> I knew that song would stick. It's been never ending in my head because I watched the video so much. I think I wore out the pause function stopping it to inspect certain elements of the house.

Super cute! You had me at the turquoise framing on the greenhouse. I hesitate to say it, but "I love it." :wub:

I have the same feeling. I honestly never liked the song or the video so being obsessed with doing this kit at the Love Shack sorta confused me but in the end, I like it a lot. It's too bright and cheerful not to love a little.

All you can think when you look at it is Happy Happy Happy!

Oh, now that made me grin ear to ear! Sharing the happy is the best part! I had such a good time with this that when I'd watch the video while I was working, I'd stop and wave my arms around in the air, singing along and dancing in my chair. Scared the heck out of the cats and I learned that waving one's arms around while holding a paint brush isn't the best idea, but it was so much fun. I love builds like this one because they can make me laugh while I'm working on them.

A quick technical note that I keep reminding myself to mention: the rocks in the landscaping are made of paperclay using Woodland Scenic HO scale molds. In HO scale, they're cliffs and mountains but in 1:12 they work pretty well for just plain rocks. I was delighted to find that paperclay worked very nicely in them and now I have an easy way to make landscaping rocks. Cool! Hobby Lobby carries the Woodland Scenic molds and there's a nice assortment to choose from.

• Like 1

Deb its FABULOUS! I dont know how you are ever going to top this. It is really really awesome.

Thank you Sue. Themed houses like this are my favorites to do and except for the Grim Reaper's Party Boat, this one was probably the most fun.. The next one is going to be all steampunk so I'm really looking forward to unleashing my Muse and letting her run amuck with mechanical things. She's been begging to do that for ages and can only be denied for so long. LOL!

You Created a House Full of sunshine and smiles :D I LOVE this happy house Deb!

I think "happy" is the best way to describe this one and it's why it was so much fun. For me it's all about the utter and pure joy that comes from creating and this particular house pegged my Happy Meter every step of the way. That's what makes building dollhouses such a rush........when you're working and suddenly realize that you've been singing or humming and you have a big smile on your face for no apparent reason, that's pure joy.

BTW, did y'all know that the best way to keep someone with OCD busy is to have them paint black and white checkerboards? <cackle> I started to touch it up and then reminded myself what happened the last time I did that. hehehehehehehehe

I must have OCD too! LOL! Checkerboards! Ack! "Ooo, need to touch up the black, oh, now the white, ooo, now the black again....Stop! Stop!"

<cackle, snort> hehehehehehehe Oh you sound like you were looking over my shoulder! That's exactly what I did, including yelling "stop" and forcing myself to put down the paint brush. If I'd allowed myself to go on, I'd still be touching up the checkerboard!

Deb, I have to admit I didn't know what "steampunk" was until my granddaughter asked me to make her Halloween outfit. We have a dress-up trunk at my house so I knew in the end this outfit would end up in our inventory and be worn often. It was a replication of one of the outfits for Dr. Who's character, River Song. As I was researching the components I came across the phrase "steampunk costumes" and had to look up the definition. Having a conservative, traditional personality I still don't know if I like it or don't like it, but have to say I am drawn to how intriguing it is to see old meeting futuristic. Can't wait to see yours, and I think Casey is working on something as well.

Deb, I have to admit I didn't know what "steampunk" was until my granddaughter asked me to make her Halloween outfit. We have a dress-up trunk at my house so I knew in the end this outfit would end up in our inventory and be worn often. It was a replication of one of the outfits for Dr. Who's character, River Song. As I was researching the components I came across the phrase "steampunk costumes" and had to look up the definition. Having a conservative, traditional personality I still don't know if I like it or don't like it, but have to say I am drawn to how intriguing it is to see old meeting futuristic. Can't wait to see yours, and I think Casey is working on something as well.

Sue, your granddaughter's costume sounds amazing! River Song is one of my favorite Who characters too and dressing up like her would be so much fun. What a great thing to do for her! One of these days I'd love to do the Tardis in miniature but haven't quite worked out how to make it bigger inside. Yet. :D

Casey, Lene (moonberry), and Debra (from Ole Cape Cod) are also mini-steampunkers and there are others who are getting bit by the bug all the time. There are more and more steampunk pieces showing up in artisan's booths at the mini shows too. It's such a terrific outlet for wild imagination and creativity, especially if you like victorian, sci-fi, and techy things.........or are fascinated by such an eclectic combination of contrasts. The house I'm getting ready to work on will be the summer home for my steampunk scientist, Dr. Thaddeus Robertson (aka: my imaginary friend) so it'll be over the top and full of odds and ends, kinda like the Professor's workshop in Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang except more focused with lots more metal and leather. Dick Van Dyke's character in that movie was a steampunker before his time. LOL! I'm going to be bashing it with a non-dollhouse item to create a unique display so I'm all excited to start work on it.

Selkie, Twinkle is a child after my own heart. She's probably excellent help when it comes to organizing closets!! <chuckling> I was the kind of kid who liked doing that more than playing outside.

• Like 1

Selkie, Twinkle is a child after my own heart. She's probably excellent help when it comes to organizing closets!! <chuckling> I was the kind of kid who liked doing that more than playing outside.

Oh yeah ... She couldn't go to sleep last night until she got up and had refilled all the liquid soap containers - why? um, because that's Twinkle.

• Like 1

Absolutley adore this build, needed the happy refill today as well and this certanly made that!

As for the Tardis, I have an idea on how to make it bigger on the inside.... What about mixing scales, ie using the 1" exterior and then half scale inside??? I really do need to finish up my kitty-tardis omo of these days, only need topaint it and dress the interior...

Hugs

• Like 3

I really do need to finish up my kitty-tardis omo of these days, only need topaint it and dress the interior...

Hugs

You made a kitty Tardis??? OMG, I so want to see that!! How adorable! It seems perfectly logical to me that cats and the Tardis would go together.

I've contemplated doing a faux facade on the outside wall a roombox or a dh (no windows) with a trompe l'oeil style landscape like a park on it. Do a little 3D landscaping like fences, bushes and trees around it and continue the landscaping onto the base so it looks realistic, then set the Tardis nudged up against the backdrop with opening doors and cut a hole thru the wall so you can open the doors and look inside. Then you could do the vast interior inside the house and have a great time making all kinds of wonderful Tardis-y miniatures for it. I think I'd leave the roof off so it doesn't conflict with the faux exterior. From one side you'd see the Tardis as you would if it were "parked" somewhere but from the other side, you'd get the full effect of the Tardis from the inside. That's a rough sketch of what I've always had in mind and it may not make sense the way I described it, but it has potential.

• Like 3

Deb, that makes purr-fect sense to me!!!

And yep, have a kitty-hangout-Tardis that I do need to finish up, had a hard time finding the perfect Tardis blue, but think this one I have now will work ok atleast.

Hugs