Back-to-back Victorianna bash

fov

If I'm remembering correctly, the McKinley has an optional wall in the bedroom that goes where the chimney / staircase would be if they were real, but a lot of people leave it out to give the room more space...? In the Victorianna that is a necessary wall that surrounds the staircase hole. (I'm leaving out a piece of it to provide access to the second floor staircase.)

The house having real stairs probably might have something to do with it being deeper, maybe in the McKinley the space behind the fireplace is too narrow for a realistic staircase? Since there are several slight differences between the two houses I'm curious now which one was designed first...

(It never bothered me that the McKinley's stairs were fake, though. Once the Victorianna is assembled it's going to be difficult to see the staircase from any angle other than through the door/window.)

..... Since there are several slight differences between the two houses I'm curious now which one was designed first...

(It never bothered me that the McKinley's stairs were fake, though. Once the Victorianna is assembled it's going to be difficult to see the staircase from any angle other than through the door/window.)

I'd love to find out the order of creation of those and of all of the kits.

I know there was that period where another company took GL over for a while but there still should be a chronology of the creation of the ones that stayed with GL.

Maybe Dean (or a staff member) when he's not busy keeping our forum running and doing the business of GL itself, could post something like that in the history section of the store pages. It would be really cool to be able to date our builds with that architectural information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a lot of thinking about how to do the stairs and which walls needed to be papered before assembly, I started gluing today. As soon as I did I realized I forgot to make templates for the ceilings. Ack.

Pictures soon!

Progress pics, finally! http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=8006

I've had to spend a lot of time thinking and planning and not much time doing lately, but I'm finally making some headway. Once the back wall goes on some areas will be harder to access, so I have to finish the stairs and start on flooring/wallpaper/ceiling paper/trim much sooner than I normally would. I usually like to do my exterior before my interior but in this case it'll have to be the other way around.

post-7-0-00981100-1426463597_thumb.jpg post-7-0-02545500-1426463598_thumb.jpg post-7-0-13485200-1426463599_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The first floor stairs are almost done and I started on the hardwood floors. My original plan to make my own floorboards out of 1/32" veneer (which is the same thickness as the Houseworks sheets and the LittleWonder Lumber strips I love but can't find any more of) didn't work out, but I came up with a good method for using the thinner veneer: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=8018

And a few progress pics. I'll post a blog showing all the steps for the stairs once I get the railing on.

post-7-0-31328800-1427087575_thumb.jpg post-7-0-81331700-1427087576_thumb.jpg post-7-0-70466900-1427087614_thumb.jpg post-7-0-14219700-1427087616_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the kitchen floor, and... I don't like it. :( This is the same type of micro veneer I used for the hardwood floors, but kind of a funny color, so I wanted to try to emulate those ceramic tiles that look like wood. I got a little overzealous with the grout lines, though, and my rows aren't straight. I dunno... I've been looking at it for a few days, thinking it'll grow on me, but I'm on the verge of tearing it out (if I even can!) and continuing the hardwoods from the living room into the kitchen.

post-7-0-86299900-1428214641_thumb.jpg post-7-0-25422700-1428214673_thumb.jpg post-7-0-61374300-1428214680_thumb.jpg

what do you not like about it??

I can see a couple of things that might make you feel that way but I also am only seeing a photo?? if you cant fix it or take it out...I suggest a nice area rug?

This is such a great project!

No matter what any of us say, you'll need to go with your instincts or you'll never be happy. Since this house means a great deal to you, I'd strongly encourage you to listen to your heart.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've made good progress on the kitchen and bathroom closet. I'm just about ready to glue on the third floor, and then I'll finish the second floor staircase, and I *think* then I'll be able to attach the back wall and get started on the other side of the house.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I stopped updating this thread long ago, but I'm happy to report that after 5+ years the back-to-back Victorianna bash is complete!

victorianna1816.jpg

victorianna1813.jpg

victorianna1815.jpg

victorianna1814.jpg

I have been blogging about this build all along and have posted around 1,800 photos altogether! You can see those posts here: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?tag=greenleaf-victorianna (they're in reverse order, so go all the way to page 5 and start at the bottom if you want to see the early stuff).

I'm planning to put together a gallery and will also do a recap post on my blog with links to the most important posts to make it easier to wade through. Also, though the house is finished I haven't made/bought all the furniture yet, or even figured out what to do with a couple of rooms. But it's a big relief to have the house finished. I never thought it would take this long!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I love the way you topped the towers!

Me, too! I'd love to go poke around in the one with the windows and widow's walk.

16 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Me, too! I'd love to go poke around in the one with the windows and widow's walk.

That one is made out of a bashed 1:48 scale gazebo. There's a spiral staircase in the tower leading up to the widow's walk.

• Like 1