Suggestions on painting intricate lattice, porch fancy work

dwcole7

I am facing the same dilemma with my fancy porch railing and trim that I am making.   However, because I plan to use different paint colors on them it seems that taking the time to paint them with a paint brush will be my only solution.   Sometimes the most time-consuming tasks turn out the most outstanding results.   Perhaps if you are just painting everything one color someone may have a good idea to make things go faster for you.   

• Like 2

That is the part I like best. Turn on something good on TV, get my tiny brush and spend hours on the little details  Sorry I don't have an answer but I agree with Kathie on this one.

A little tip I found with my railing. After it was good and dry I took a soft cloth And polished it. It took off the remaining little burrs and gave it some nice luster.

It depends on what it is, but I tend to paint them by hand. Several coats. And yes, it takes forever, but I get the best results that way. It's how I did all the intricate front work on the Diana (Summer House). It got three coats before the detail colors.

I often spray the base coat so everything is completely and well covered. Then do the rest by hand. Just be sure you don't get a high gloss spray by mistake. Don't ask how I know this please - what a disaster ... sigh ...

I paint them with a regular craft brush. I give them one coat of paint, let it dry and then sand well with a fine grit sand paper. If you wrap the sandpaper around strip wood, you can get into the small detailed areas. Then I give it another coat of paint. I use good quality craft paint so two coats get the job done. After the second coat of paint is dry, I rub the piece down with my fingertips. Sounds odd but it really works to smooth down the finish more. Really weird but true. I then use a very fine tip paint brush for any additional touch ups.