Creating a name for your build

PepperJoAz

So, I've noticed that many people have a name for their build - for example, MikeUK has "21 De Pass Road,  KariW has "The Merrimack House", CheckMouse has "The Appleby Cottage" .... 

My question is - how do you come up with the name? I'd love to have something to call the Orchid I'm building, but I don't... does the name come from a story you make up to go with the house?  

Maybe this is a silly question... but I'd love input if you have some!!  

• Like 1

Not a silly question at all.

Some folks never choose names other than the brand name it came with because they aren't into creating the storylines. I love to write the stories for them so my names come from the family or time period or location that I think matches the family or theme of the house. I think CJ used Appleby because the house is built from old apple crates.

Several members are into building fairy tale stories so the names come from them. I think Kelly just did a little red riding hood story but used the title in a foreign language (can't remember if it was French or German or what) to add a little something to the name.

In RL we name our houses and cars and bikes and so on so it kind of comes naturally to me to think of doing it.

Good luck with creating yours. It will come to you at some odd time and you'll just know it's the right one.

• Like 3

I have to agree with both Holly and Selkie.

Some of mine never had 'names' other then what they were when I got them, but a few have told me they were this or that. The Heritage stays the Heritage because it likes that name and likely because it will be a part of a 'heritage' (DD says she will never get rid of it). The Ye Cozy Cottage I built this past summer wanted the name 'Liberty' and was decorated as an Independence day house. The Whitney I built for a gift for this past Christmas is named 'Sarah's House'. But I have done quite a few that just don't seem to want a new name.

The Dinosaur house (a Sweetheart kit) didn't want a name (Christmas gift 2014). It was just in a big hurry to be built and to have the 'stone' walls and grass roof. When it was done it was very happy. I don't know if it has a name yet, but it never asked for one from me.

Of course, some of them just didn't want to be built (whether by me or any one else) and fought every step of the build. There was no way there was a name coming forth and no way I was going to force one either. Just getting the build done was the big battle. Let it choose it's own name, if it ever becomes ready. It resides with my sister and I don't think she is ready, yet, to enter our world where one can hear the houses REALLY speak to you. I have tried to get her to become part of us, but I don't think she is ready to join us. If the house does speak to her, I don't know if she'll hear it. She loves the house and says she will never get rid of it either. I can think of a name for it, but it is far, far from polite...LOL.

So, I really have to agree. Let the house tell you. Sit with it, listen and let it tell you. Some of them might not want a name. Some may not say it very loud (if they do) and some just might not be ready to tell you yet.

• Like 2

I guess I had better add that the Washington I'm building to be the farmhouse it has wanted to become ever since the UPS man delivered it has not told my its name or given me much clue about who it wants to live there.

• Like 1

I like Mikes idea of giving his house an address and I agree with what Holly says, the houses tell you along the way what they should be, the 1/6 scale house I am working on currently [ still building windows and staircase ] I imagine to be located in Salisbury England. the ancestry on my paternal grandfathers side lived in Salisbury. It will be exciting to find out what the structure inspires me to do.

I agree with what everyone else said.  :cocktail:

That being said, not everyone "hears" dollhouses very clearly. You may think it is a whispered word in a crowded room, or something stuck in your mind after watching a movie, or you might even wake up in the morning with a name firmly embedded in your mind - and NO idea how it got there!

You can also try this website:  http://fantasynamegenerators.com/

If you have an idea for a theme, it might help you pinpoint the name. Or you can read some random names from random themes, and see which one "feels" right.

Let us know what name your Orchid chose.....  :bigwink:

• Like 1

This is all most interesting!   Just a couple weeks ago I suddenly thought that my Garfield should have a name even as I am still in the process of finishing it.   Because I am making a pretend bed & breakfast and a little cafe out of it, I started to write down some names that came to mind.   I had a list of about 6 or so but my favorite was initially "The Rose Cottage Inn" because I am painting the exterior in a pretty rose color and there will be lots of flowers in flower boxes (someday).   I then sent my possible list to my friends who are following my dollhouse build and it seemed almost unanimous that this name was the top choice.   But then a dear friend suggested I drop "the" and "inn" from the name.   OMG, so this will be the name I will use.......Rose Cottage!   Sometimes just dreaming and doodling and then asking your friends for a little help is all that is needed to come up with the right name for your dollhouse.   It sure was fun and besides that Rose Cottage will be much easier to fit eventually on my miniature sign that will someday be hanging on my dollhouse.   For my cafe I will just make some sort of sign like on a blackboard of sorts with the name:  Susan's Kitchen.   Since I enjoy cooking & baking some of my friends who love to stop by at my house call my place Susan's Kitchen!    

As the others have said.....let your dollhouse talk to you and then follow your heart!

Just a reminder:

PLEASE remember that when you make an album for your house - use the ACTUAL house name in the title and YOUR name under that!!

If you haven't done that, please change the title of your album. It makes searching for a particular type of house so much easier.

(for example Greenleaf Garfield - the Hoop de Doo house)

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, everyone! I kind of figured it would be a "wait 'til it tells you" consensus.

I think what I know so far is that it's a 1940's era home. That wanted a primrose addition.

And a dressing room upstairs between the bathroom and bedroom.

And the stairs in the middle, not on the side.

And I have interiors for all but the dining room, and the outside was yellow and grey as soon as I had it in my cart at Hobby Lobby.

So I guess the name, if any, will come.

I will definitely check out the link Moonberry posted!!!

Some of them are insistent about their names from the get-go. Others may take a while. Some may change their minds too. Darlene's Pub has decided it wants to be the Crusty Pustule instead. Go figure.

The name for my VM800 took a month or two to emerge, surprisingly. I bought my very first real-life house on Whitebrush Avenue as a young single mom. It was small, impossibly cute, and pink... my daughter even called it our pink dollhouse. When I started working on the kit, it just seemed to remind me so much of our first house. It was my first kit, it wanted to be pink, it even has bay windows like the one bay in the front of our house. So, voila... Whitebrush Manor!

I try to remember to tag at least a few of the pictures in each of my albums with the actual name of the house. Then, if someone's interested in seeing more, they can view my albums on their own.

I'm looking forward to watching your 1940s home come to life!! :D

• Like 1

The young woman who lives in my house told me her name was Anna so my VH-600 so far is called Anna's house. I say so far because Anna has yet to take a husband so if I ever find the suitable husband for her the name of the house probably will change.

Having a name for your house makes it so much more personal but you can't force it. Houses don't like to be forced into anything. They don't cooperate well when forced. They are kind of little Divas.

Cheverly I love that house in Pink. I have recently acquired the same house and even before I saw yours I was thinking a shade of Peach. I have discussed this with mine and it prefers a nice shade of Green with Cream trim. So I got lucky on that one. I won't have to be known as a copy cat-er. Lol

• Like 1

Yes, my little Appleby Cottage was named thus because of its construction.  "Apple Crate House" just didn't have a good ring to it!  I haven't built a lot of houses, but I tend to give them names connected to my family.  For the RGT Build-Along house, which is a 2 room wall-hanging house, I made it into a business and named it The Wray Publishing House.  "Wray" is my mother's maiden name, and she and I were both in printing and manuscripts and publishing for many years so it just seemed fitting. I even added a portrait of my grandfather, as the founder of the business.

I haven't decided yet on a name for my Federal Manor. I'm still drawing up plans for that one, and she has only recently begun talking to me, so the name is still in Limbo. 

• Like 1

It's fascinating reading how others have come up with the names for their dollhouses.   CJ (Checkmouse) do you ever hear from Wolfie who I think made your "Miss Lenora" doll?   I do hope she is doing OK.  I bought 3 of her creations last year when she needed help with her medical bills at the time.   They are real treasures and Miss Lenora looks very beautiful.   Just wondered.........

It's fascinating reading how others have come up with the names for their dollhouses.   CJ (Checkmouse) do you ever hear from Wolfie who I think made your "Miss Lenora" doll?   I do hope she is doing OK.  I bought 3 of her creations last year when she needed help with her medical bills at the time.   They are real treasures and Miss Lenora looks very beautiful.   Just wondered.........

I heard from someone on Facebook, a friend of a friend, that Wolfie / Gina has been quite ill and is no longer making dolls. I know she had a stroke not too long after her husband died, but when I last connected with her she was recovering quite well from that. Apparently she has had more health problems.  Last time I checked her website she still has a few dolls up there, but I don't know if the site is still maintained, or if she still has them. I got no response when I tried to buy one. We need to keep her in our prayers.