Skin & Scalp Update

Violet2Dawn

Hi all

Well I thought it was time to update the head sore topic.  I did see progress, while my hair was very short.  Things were improving and there were no new outbreaks.  Over the last 2 weeks, as my hair has gotten longer than 1/2 inch I have had new breakouts and those that were almost healed have become aggravated again.  I dread the thought of having it shaved down again, but I think it may be necessary. 

I have been taking pictures since the first day of cutting off the hair back in Nov. and they do show the healing and now aggravation of certain areas.  So when the snow stops (ahahaaa) I will call my dear, sympathetic hairdresser and have her shave it down again.  Then take more pictures to the Dr.  The Emuaid soap and salve are still effective, so I am going to keep using those. 

I keep asking myself; is it the hair itself? does the length of the hair cover the exposed skin enough to affect it?  what does the hair attract (dust, etc) that aggravates my scalp?  Sometimes I want to peel myself of this skin and regrow something newer and better.  How painful would that be?

Well friends, I do appreciate all your information and support, keep it coming.  Some days you all are the only human contact I have and it means so much to me that you are out there.

• Like 1

Dawn, I hope you have a supply of soft warm winter caps.  I am so sorry you're going through his.  I will occasionally get one of those icky sores on my scalp that seem to take forever to heal, but mine seem worse when the weather is warm.

Dawn, so sorry you're going through this still - it is so very frustrating to have a problem that doesn't seem to have a solution, at least not one that's readily apparent anyway.  There is one out there, but it's so hard to be patient and strong enough to find it.  My heartfelt sympathies, my dear!

When I woke up this morning, I was thinking about your head and praying for you.  I had a thought, could this be a side affect from some medication you're on?  So many have such unpleasant side affects, just wondered if this could be one of them.

Hello Dawn,

as usual, I'm late to the party again... but here are a few things I've been confronted with during my soap making years - thankfully not my own experience but those of my customers. So, allow me to give you some thoughts here that might ease the symptoms.

1. If you are an allergic with increasing sensitivities, you might want to use soap nuts instead of detergents. Clothes cover the largest part of your body and any allergic reaction might manifest anywhere. Soap nuts have helped a few people I know you might want to check into that - here is a link: http://econutssoap.com/how-to-use-soap-nuts-for-laundry/

2. Most commercially produced soap (bars) have reduced glycerin content because glycerin is an expensive cosmetic compound - try to find a soap maker who makes traditional cold process soap - we have no way to extract the glycerine so using a scent-free handmade soap has a high glycerin content that when used keeps your skin better moisturized and might prevent drying out and cracking. Even on the scalp. Glycerin is hygroscopic and attracts water from the air.

3. Most cases of folliculitis are either bacterial or fungal - has it ever been determined which one causes it? I think that would be the most important part to determine the most effective treatment. 

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this and I hope that you will find successful treatment for it.

>Soapz/Chris, I have the bacterial type of folliculitis.  I am interested in the soap nuts, they sound eco friendly. economical, easy to use.  I have a small  apartment stacked washer/dryer set.  How many would I use for it?  I am going to get the trial size and give it a go.  The Emuaid soap I use now is very rich and has been very effective in calming the itch and burn that I had been living with for years. http://www.emuaid.com/product/therapeutic-moisture-bar  I try and keep things as clean as possible, including my poodle, so I don't happen to touch my head and transfer anything.  I am shifting to using more and more natural products with natural anti-bacterials.

>Debra Thanks for the positive thoughts, this is not a known side effect of any of my medication.  Now the dry mouth,  I use Biotene for that, and it works rather well.  That is a side effect I could do without.

>Holly  I have a wide variety of hats now, I have specifically chosen or made then super bright colors too.

> All the rest of you Positive people....THANKS for the positive energy, thoughts and prayers.  I can honestly say, my scalp is better today than when I first cut my hair off at Thanksgiving time.  I am not always as patient as I should be, and want results yesterday. 

Dawn, I use between 3 and 5 nuts in a small cotton bag. When the laundry is done I just pull out the bag and let it dry and use it until the nuts are gone. 

• Like 1

Chelsea uses those nuts for her laundry. She lived in a fragrance free house for the summer in California. They work great. They are sold at Fiddlehead`s in new london but you could also check the health food store in niantic.