Paper clay and Half scale

dwcole7

So, you all have been AWESOME help as usual with my other questions. :) I am thinking of doing this house with paper clay bricks or stone on the outside. But, with this being a half scale house I am not sure if I should put it all together first and then squeeze in the little areas to do the brickwork but if I do that what about all the porch trim? Hmmm... Should I do most of the outside of the house first before putting it together and then when I put it together just touch up with more paper clay on the edges? Any help is very appreciated!!! :)

Which half scale house are you building?

The way Holly suggests to do it can work really well for areas that are framed with trim, or where you do not have to go around corners, but if you will be making the entire exterior of the house brick or stone you may want to apply it directly to the house.

I put my houses in and out of dry fit frequently as I build them, which helps me account for trim in advance. You could put your house together, except for the trim, and do trim in dry fit to work the stone/brick.

Half scale is my scale of choice.

Which half scale house are you building?

The way Holly suggests to do it can work really well for areas that are framed with trim, or where you do not have to go around corners, but if you will be making the entire exterior of the house brick or stone you may want to apply it directly to the house.

I put my houses in and out of dry fit frequently as I build them, which helps me account for trim in advance. You could put your house together, except for the trim, and do trim in dry fit to work the stone/brick.

Half scale is my scale of choice.

This is the house.  http://www.laserdollhouses.com/online-store.php#!/Ashley-1-24-scale-Dollhouse-Kit/p/19545224/category=8577029

I am wanting to go with a brick/stone/spackle look on the outside. I am planning on it looking old and run down. So, some cracks would add to the charm of the house. The problem is one, I have never really worked with half scale, and the house has a lot of trim (which I LOVE) but needs to be put on as you are building the house. Each piece fits in the second floor of the house. The house goes together great and supper easy. Just not sure the best approach for the paperclay exterior. 

• Like 1

I have a couple of Leonard's kits in my stash but haven't built them yet. Kellyannmo has built several so you might contact her via PM for some guidance. She has changed the exterior on at least one (I think).

If you must add the trim for other pieces to fit together properly then you may need to do the house in stages. With half scale I prefer to work "flat" and then assemble the completed parts, but can't always do it that way. If you do it this way it will be important to mask areas that will later be glued or have a tight fit.

The other thing I've found helpful is to put the house into dry fit and make a check list of the order in which you will need to proceed with your finish work. It helps avoid those moments when you realize you forgot an important step. Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to seeing your vision of it completed. :)

• Like 1