help! krylon sealer not setting!!

12 posts in this topic

I am really confused. I have been making molds for furniture elements, then casting pieces with a 2 part plastic mix. I then paint with acrylics which stick well and dry. But when I get the krylon spray (clear satin metal wood wicker more) it won't set up!!! I would understand if i were just spraying on plastic but this makes no sense as the krylon works on acrylic paint on top of wood. Would the plastic actually somehow mix with the acrylic in some chemical way to prevent the krylon from setting up and remaining tacky? 

I was told not to add acrylic paint to my resin water for the spa I'm making. Ron said they just don't go together. Maybe it's the same concept.

I made the mistake of repainting some polymer clay items, then spraying them with Krylon to give them a nicer finish. Darn paint stayed tacky for over 6 months. There was some kind of chemical reaction going on.

seems very strange to me.....

I add acrylic paint to my resin water all the time... and it sets beautifully.... I don't know what the addition of Krylon is doing to it :( especially if your acrylic is drying on your finished pieces .... :(

Wonder if it could just be a bad can? I had a can of black that would never dry and it was just over wood. I put it outdoors in the sun (summertime) and fussed around for a couple of weeks. The guy at the paint store said that once in a while a can is a bad batch and doesn't have enough of the japan drier added to it.

Don't know if that is the same for sealers or not but as soon as I got a new can, all was well again.

thanks!!! well it dried just fine on wood pieces painted with acrylic, as well as on polymer pieces i painted. I wondered if because the can is old there is not enough of the right mix left? Just baffles me that it would somehow intereact and not set!!! a lot of tiny paint detail wiped away with acetone now!! argh!!!

Well i opted for modge podge and that works! Here is a finished chair, one of my wacky Alice in Wonderland chairs! post-5162-0-92829200-1424457227_thumb.jp

2 people like this

Very cool chair, Julie! Love the colors!

1 person likes this

Adore the chair, so colourful and inviting!

Thank you for sharing

Hugs

1 person likes this

Love the chair, and the March Hare.

1 person likes this