Greenleaf wants to know your opinion

Mini Man

The removal of shingles and/or siding from Greenleaf kits (PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE TAKING POLL)  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather see happen

• Higher prices on Greenleaf Dollhouse kits
    • The removal of shingles and/or siding from Greenleaf Dollhouses kiits
  2. 2. When purchasing your dollhouse kit, how did shingles and/or siding included impact your purchasing decision

• I wouldn’t have purchased the kit without shingle/siding
    • It was nice that shingles/siding were included, but I would have bought it anyway
    • I didn’t even know shingles/siding were included until I open it

As many of you know, Greenleaf is committed to keeping miniature collecting at a price everyone can afford. To meet that end, we have absorbed many cost increases over the years. These additional costs and a recent development with the shingle/siding material (cost have tripled) has brought us to a crossroad; we can either stop including shingles and/or siding or increase our prices. Being the savvy consumers that you are, I’m interest in your thoughts on the matter. Please take the poll and feel free to post any comment s on the subject.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dean

• Like 3

Not every dollhouse needs to be shingled in my opinion. For my last kit, I just spackled all the holes and gaps and painted it a deep custom-mixed grey which I thought looked fine. Plus, you can always offer the shingles or siding as an optional/additional finishing kit for a specific house.

• Like 3

I'd think it would be fine to offer them as an option in the GL store rather than adding more costs to the kits.

I love the packs of siding strips you already offer. I often use them as flooring, board and batten, and roofing options.

Speed shingles are easier than the indivdual ones, imo.

• Like 3

My Garfield kit did not come with any shingles or siding.   I was not aware that any Greenleaf kits did come with these items.  Personally, any siding and roofing is something that I think each individual decides on so to exclude it would be OK with me in order to keep the kit cost down.   

• Like 3

When I open the kit I remove the shingles and siding, if included, and put them with the other shingles and siding strips to be used for builds that want them.  I think the only house I've used the siding that was included in the kit was the Westville, because the lady who wanted to buy it wanted my to build it to look like what was on the box.  Since so mini of us builders are older folks living on "fixed" incomes (which could stop getting fixed", IMO) the price of GL kits makes them very affordable.

• Like 4

I often substitute different siding or shingles, and if something came in the kit that I didn't use I'll hold onto it for something else. If a kit I buy doesn't come with shingles and siding, I wouldn't miss them, especially if the kit is in the price range the Greenleaf kits tend to be.

That being said, if someone's buying from the GL store it might be nice if they could get a small discount on shingles and siding at the same time they purchase the kit, like an upsell. It would provide convenience for the customer and would probably result in sales you wouldn't have gotten otherwise (e.g. if someone just buys the kit, and then ends up buying shingles or siding somewhere else).

• Like 4

I also substitute siding and shingles, so for me it's just surplus that I set aside for other projects.

Emily's idea to upsell is a good idea, and I love your speed shingles.

Though you didn't ask, I'd LOVE to see more of the houses available in laser cut half scale, in particular the Beacon Hill, Willowcrest, Orchid, and Vineyard Cottage.

I really do love Greenleaf's products; the lasercut kits have made all the difference for me to be able to enjoy this beloved hobby. :wub:

It's also great to get a chance to say "Thank You!" and offer feedback :D

• Like 2

I think it's fine to change, grow, and find ways to absorb costs. We can certainly budget in shingles and siding on our own. Thank you for asking for our opinions and for being a great company! :ohyeah:

While I'm sharing, I'd really like it if you listed how many "packs" of speed shingles you need for each house on your company site. Right now, the amount of shingle bags is listed for a kit, say the Beacon Hill, but I wouldn't be sure how many sets of speed shingles I might need. I LOVE your speed shingles, so I'm addicted. :wub:

• Like 4

Thanks for asking for our input Dean!  

To tell the truth, I don't even remember if siding & shingles came with the kits I've done, but if they did, they were re-purposed for something else because I used paper clay on the exteriors of my Adams and Sugarplum.  I echo the sentiments that siding & shingles are a nice perk when they are included, but not necessary components because so many people opt to cover their house exteriors in different ways.  If people opt to use them, they could be an addition to their purchase order.

I agree with most above.... If I have a kit that comes with shingles (I don't think I've had one with siding) there are many times I don't use them because I planned on a different finish.  I think the comments above about adding them as an up-sell would be great for those people who do in fact want to use them.... I love your products and the fact that you try to keep them affordable.  I also have to say, I also truly respect that you have asked for our feedback and opinions.... Love Greenleaf!

• Like 3

I bought the Pierce kit but it didn't come with any shingles or siding.  I think it even states on the box that it doesn't come with these....so I can't really comment either way!  I would have liked them however the house was expensive enough without having those included.  Expensive given that I have to source from the US and ship to NZ - otherwise very reasonable prices.

My two cents here...

I think while it is convenient to have siding and shingles included if one wants to build the kit as it is pictured on the box, shingles can be easily bought elsewhere if needed. I would assume the same goes for siding. I think that offering a "finishing kit option" that includes shingles and siding would be a great idea. 

I can't remember which British manufacturer it was, but one of them offers the basic shell only and then an option to buy the windows and doors for that kit, and another option that offers finishing materials like trims and shingles and whatnot.

While I'm sure that experienced (and probably not so experienced) builders make use of every scrap of wood that comes with the kits - there is also shipping to consider. Shipping prices are going up, so everything that lowers the weight of the kits will be reflected in shipping costs. And shipping a second package with the finishing materials might be cheaper because of the smaller dimension. 

So, my vote is definitely for offering finishing options, but keeping the basic kit price at the lower end (that way I can afford the Pierce rather sooner than later....)

• Like 3

I, too, would like to see shingles and siding offered as add-ons, especially if they are tailored to fit particular houses, so I wouldn't have to calculate how many shingles or how much siding I'd need for a particular build.

• Like 5

I agree with the majority, that the shingles and siding are nice but I'd rather have them offered separately than increase the kit price. A few of my recent builds (Laurel, Shadybrook Cabin, Buttercup) didn't have shingles or siding or both, so I ended up purchasing separately.

• Like 1

I like Greenleaf dollhouses because of their variety of styles. The plywood is a plus too. I think shingles and siding should be offered as upgrades to the basic kits. You have some of the best prices in the business, so try to keep that, please! Also, I think sometimes when we buy kits, we're not sure how we're going to finish them, so if you change your mind, then all you have to do is come back and order a finishing kit.

Been buying Greenleaf for years.  Love the styles, love the company, love the forum with all the ideas also.. Greenleaf Houses look more like REAL houses than most of the others.   I usually do not use the siding and/or shingles.  I either use something else or just paint the roof. If it is for a charity I never know what small child may get it and shingles can be removed and thought to be candy, possibly.

I know prices are an issue with us all . . but maybe the basic house with options, like they have now with some doors, screens,  shingles, etc. would be better. Those items that they have can be used on all their houses so, you could take the basic house, like most of us do and get the upgrades that will make the house look way different.  Just my opinion, but if I do one or two Buttercups for a Charity, they do not look alike as I like the idea of slightly bashing.   

Love Greenleaf and so whatever is decided,  will still buy the houses. 

When I purchased my kit I was given the option of purchasing it with or without the shingles and siding.  With the shingles and siding the kit  cost around $100 more.  I think offering the kit for a base price and then adding on upgrades such as the siding and shingles is the optimal solution.  So I don't think you need to change the way you are currently marketing the kit.

• Like 1