Greenleaf wants to know your opinion

Mini Man

The removal of shingles and/or siding from Greenleaf kits (PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE TAKING POLL)  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather see happen

• Higher prices on Greenleaf Dollhouse kits
    • The removal of shingles and/or siding from Greenleaf Dollhouses kiits
  2. 2. When purchasing your dollhouse kit, how did shingles and/or siding included impact your purchasing decision

• I wouldn’t have purchased the kit without shingle/siding
    • It was nice that shingles/siding were included, but I would have bought it anyway
    • I didn’t even know shingles/siding were included until I open it

Its really nice to have kits that include the shingles and siding but not all kits need to have it. There are some kits that look great without the siding. I wouldn't mind if a kit cost more because it includes the shingles and siding. I personally like the way it is now, where some kits include it and others don't. Its a nice balance and gives the customer the option to choose an all inclusive kit or not.

• 2 weeks later...

What I would find helpful is if the kits stated how many square inches the roof is, rather than "you will need x# of bags." Other brands/styles/types of roofing give the number of square inches they will cover, so why don't the kits just give that measurement instead of making you do the math yourself?

• Like 1

I am in favor of keeping costs down, and on the larger kits, Greenleaf can get away without shingles.  By the time the house is ready to be shingled, a lot of builders have their own ideas that may make shingles optional.  But on a small four-room cottage trimmings show up even more, so I would want my shingles to be included, as that could be a selling point.  Smaller kits should be cheaper in price, and I wouldn't want to end up spending more on shingles and trimming than I did for the kit.  One thing to note is that I wouldn't want to buy a kit that pictures a house with shingles and then not have those shingles included in the box.  Not everyone reads exclusions, which are often in fine print.

• Like 1

I am going to use the shingles that came with the Arthur kit, but if they hadn't come with it, I would have bought the kit anyway and used some other shingles. I'd rather the house prices were kept as low as possible. What would really frost my cake is if Greenleaf would sell windows and doors separately, or if those could be an option too. Look at all the different styles of windows there are. I think it would be neat if we could put in windows already sized to fit 1/8" wood instead of 3/8" wood.

And as long as no one's put a gag on me yet, the Fairfax in 1" scale would be wonderful too...........*wink, wink - hint, hint*

• Like 2

I second Kelly's vote for a 1:12 Fairfield kit. I love that one.

As for shingles and siding, I'm kind of split.  It seems like there are true kid-friendly beginner kits and those (Primrose, Orchid, so on) are great to have everything you need in one box.

On the other hand, the rest of the houses seem to work out well enough without the shingles or siding included since so many of us use different finishing techniques. I like the idea of having a completer or upgrade finishing set to go along with the basic house set, then we could choose different shingles, such as fishscale or square or another shape.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Garfield kit didn't come with shingles or siding. I think you should sell them separately anyway, like Roof Shingles for the Garfield or

Siding for the Garfield. It was really stressfull for me trying to find out how much to get but that was long ago.

I think you should take out or leave out the shingles and siding. My dura craft San Franciscan is missing half it's shingles because I

Took some out to use on my granddaughters Laurel. And I'm using Stucco for exterior of my Garfield.

Yeah I would leave them out. All we need is the basic house and then anything goes after that anyway! That's part of the creative process, the roof and outer shell!

• 1 month later...

I'll be the odd ball here. I would have never started buying Greenleaf kits if the Orchid didn't come with shingles. Why? It's pictured on the box, and I wanted to be able to make one like on the box. This was my first, second and third build. I've bought 2 more Greenleaf kits and multiple furniture kits after the Orchids. I'll probably buy more kits. I bought a house with an extra room just for dollhouses. I didn't have to buy loads of tools or shop online just to make those first few builds, that was a huge plus. Then I was hooked!

Now, if you are looking to continue to sell to existing hobbiest, by all means, eliminate the 'extras'. You might be discouraging new customers, younger customers from even looking at your kits. Once you get them hooked, and they like the build, the customers will buy more kits, customize them and learn to purchase the 'extras'. I wouldn't advise you to eliminate the shingles and siding from all the kits. I'm most familiar with the Orchid since it's sold at Hobby Lobby. The ones that are sold as 'first time' kits should include all the kit stuff pictured on the box so the customers will get satisfaction from that first build.

Even with the shingles and siding, the tab and slot construction of 1/8" plywood is still more economical to manufacture and ship than what your competators offer. How much would the difference be? $10, $20? I'm pretty sure Greenleaf will still be more econimically attractive than some other companies' products on price point alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Shingles don't come with the laser cut Rosedale (the kit I bought). I think it's best to sell them separately since - as many others noted - it's just one possible way to finish the outside. I'm thinking I might make my Rosedale a brownstone - haven't decided yet.