Steampunk Doozy of a Jacuzzi

I'm grabbing my towel and robe and will be right over!! Fantastic job. Before you know it, you'll have a whole new career and be on the front page of a famous mini magazine!!

• Like 4

My eyes must not be working properly today - I can't figure out what the jets are made of.  Are the hoses rubber hair bands?

This looks so inviting, don't mind if I come over for a bath-date at some point.   :lush:

• Like 2

Thank-you all so much!  :wub: I drilled holes in the tub and used some flat metal beads from an old necklace for the jets.  The rubber tubing is used to make bracelets and it fit right through the beads (serendipity). The water heater is also a cigar tube Holly. I just cut it down and blinged it up. Can you still get those? I had two of them for I don't know how long.  I think there's a skellie wanting a steam bath now.....

• Like 2

When DS#1 retired from the USMC he wound up with a box of cigars and I asked for the tubes when he was through with them.  Somewhere in my stash I still have most of a boxful of those tubes (I hope); I also have a small baggie full of brass shell casings from the evening DH took me to the local firing range for shooting lessons.

Today in our travels we stopped off at one of the thrift stores we don't get to very often (it's in Milton, FL) and I found a hanging pot holder that has wonderful fused glass beads and lots of lovely metal chain sections and motives, as well as a repro Sears catalogue from 1900 and three wee vases (one of which will never see the inside of a dollhouse because it says "Made in Occupied Japan" on the bottom; it's in one of the cabinets with Asian antiques).  Metal beads, huh?  I was thinking weensy grommets.  Are the taps those crown-shaped valve stem covers?  I just love how brilliant your steampunk stuff turns out!

• Like 2

By the taps, do you mean the faucet handles?  Found those in the metal bead section in Walmart.  Good thing I bought a few packages, they no longer carry them.

Now that I look, I see what you mean.  They are the metal faucet handle looking beads glued to halves of two barrel screw clasps.  (Getting good at taking things apart...)

Lol, I had to keep scrolling up to look at the pic again to see all the different pieces that everyone was seeing!  I do see the back of an earring as maybe the faucet piece that turns the tank on.  And the decorative bead the top of the tank is just like the ones I bought from Hobby Lobby to use for the bottom of cake stands!

This is so clever I just love it!  Are there any pics coming with the added "steam"?!  Do you hand paint or do you use any spray paints?  I always seem to be able to see my brushstrokes when I'm painting so nothing ever turns out looking this good!

• Like 1

Jessie, the trick is not to load your brush with a lot of paint.  Three or four coats (letting each coat dry thoroughly) applied thinly and evenly won't show brush strokes as much as a heavy coat of paint (although I have found some paints will show brush strokes, regardless; then I break down and use a sponge brush.

• Like 2

I brushed the tub using acrylic metallic paint.  If I were to do it over, I would have used spray primer and then a metallic spray paint.  The plastic on this set doesn't seem to like the metallic acrylics.  If I used my fingernail, I could peel the paint right off.  When the Steampunk Summerhouse is done, these pieces will be glued in place as they have to be handled very carefully. Next time I will bite the bullet and buy the spray paint.  The only problem is I never know where it's going at the beginning so It's hard to plan ahead.

• Like 1

I brushed the tub using acrylic metallic paint.  If I were to do it over, I would have used spray primer and then a metallic spray paint.  The plastic on this set doesn't seem to like the metallic acrylics.  If I used my fingernail, I could peel the paint right off.  When the Steampunk Summerhouse is done, these pieces will be glued in place as they have to be handled very carefully. Next time I will bite the bullet and buy the spray paint.  The only problem is I never know where it's going at the beginning so It's hard to plan ahead.

Flat gray (or white) spray primer is your friend if you want to paint Chrysnbon.  I use it all the time:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/1242231328/gallery_8_8_11792.jpg and http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/1237685252/gallery_8_2918_98032.jpg.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...