The Amazing Free Pierce, my first new acquisition in eons.

Lynette Smith

Times have been tough and my space limited, so I've become rather choosy in picking up any new dollhouses. Last month I passed up an original Victotorian because the windows seemed to be in the wrong locations to feel authentic and I doubted I would ever plug up the holes and put in others in the 3/8" particleboard. Last week it was a kit I've never seen before by an unfamiliar company (I think it was 1979 and definitely had Prairie in the name, two stories and a big front porch) but peering in the box, I was dubious whether the kit would be a straightforward build or how the quality would be.

Today I spotted a Pierce with --- on the price spot, so phoned. While on the phone, I spotted the best offer part and my heart sunk, because I had $3 to my name and maybe access to another $20 if I was lucky. But in talking to the gal, she was more interested in finding it a home, so I volunteered to take it on, giving it new life. It was a 55 mile drive, not counting the distance from the freeway, and the community followed no grid system, so they even came and guided me the last few miles. We packed up the small bits and pieces, I don't know yet how much will be usable, but it will be fun to see what I can do to it. The house was given to her for free and suffered some damage when the original owner ripped out some electrical stuff. Further damage was done by the 2 year old nephew of it's recent owner.  She kept saying that it was really damaged, but I had to laugh, because I have purchased far worse. It's currently in the back of my car, I wanted to enlist some help in getting it out the hatchback to minimize further damage.

Once I get it inside, I will set it up where I can contemplate and see what it tells me about itself. 

post-3408-0-25359500-1425807952_thumb.jp

post-3408-0-14457500-1425807966_thumb.jp

post-3408-0-75499000-1425808006_thumb.jp

post-3408-0-64594500-1425808019_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Lynette, your post made me smile because I can relate to it so much. Its difficult to keep up with the hobby on a limited budget. The good thing is that somehow, someway these dollhouse find their way to us. What a great find. You will be busy for quite a while.