First Roombox Disaster - Help?

Leoin

Hey guys! I started making my first roombox (a kitchen) last week out of foam core after seeing a few tutorials listed as using it. I added my wood flooring and wallpaper before putting the box together, and when I came back after a few days to look at the finished dried product everything was horribly warped. I attempted to glue it together and force it to straighten out since I was desperate, but that didn't end so great. Now I'm just discouraged.

How do you go about making a roombox out of foam board? I just stumbled across something that said to glue/paper the backside too, but I don't see how that would prevent warp. Should I have glued it all together first? I have plenty of matboard, but since that is thinner, wouldn't it also warp?

I really want to try my hand at making my own rooms, and I have no access to any kind of tool that would cut sturdier wood. Advice/links appreciated.

You have to use a primer or sealer first on both sides of foam core before you apply any water based glue, wallpaper paste or paint. This prevents warping by sealing both sides so the water based products don't wet and shrink the exterior paper.

Amanda, if you use foam core you do have to paint or paper both sides of the foam core at once. That's just the nature of the beast. I usually build and then paint or wallpaper everything at once. That is just how I was taught to do it. Some people paint first. It depends on who you ask. But everyone that works with it has a story to tell about warping. If at first you don't succeed... You know the rest! Good luck!

The first time I used foamcore to bash was in the Westville; I made a wall to separate the bathroom from the stairs and as soon as I papered the first side and saw that bow begin I quick like a bunny slapped the paper on the second side.  For the bricked surround for the kitchen stove it wasn't an issue because I used my sandpaper "bricks" and just did a few courses at a time.  For Maggie's moveable bathroom wall I glued on the beadboard strips on both sides at the same time.

1/4 inch birch plywood is my preferred material for partitions and false walls. You can get it in the wood section at Michaels. A small hand saw will cut it to size. You still need to prime it but it's a good alternative. I mostly use foam core to make patterns for my custom wood builds.

Wow, I had no idea that foam core warped this way since I've never really used it for components. I sure am glad that I decided to not use foam core for my Willowcrest attic ceiling. My only mural scene would have warped and I would have literally pulled my hair out.

• 9 years later...

I wish I knew this before I started my one room school house room box. My students also had this problem, but they still are learning how much glue, mod podge, and paint is too much.

rsz_20240316_123714.jpg

One room school houses were primitive so don't make it too perfect. I like what you have done. Reminds me of the salvaged RL one on the grounds of a nearby museum. 

• Like 1

If you don't mind putting in fake windows and doors, a 10-gallon aquarium makes a neat roombox. You simply turn it on its side and paper the walls and finish the ceiling and floors like any room. I don't know how much they cost now, but at one time a 10-gallon aquarium was only about $20. Heck of a lot cheaper than a wood roombox.