Good news for us easily distracted types

Selkie

Saw in the news that a new study was done showing that people who are most easily distracted are the most creative!!! It also showed that folks who were not easily distracted scored higher on academic testing. A perfect discription of DH and myself (the distracted one). Here is the link for the short report.

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/highly-distractible-people-have-more-creative-success

Here is the link for the more technical report.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150303153222.htm

• Like 3

Well, I must be the exception, then, lol! I'm not easily distracted, but my brain just oozes creativity. When I was younger, I took one of these brain analysis quizzes, which told me which part was stronger etc. I found out that I was pretty evenly split, but that the creative side had the edge, a 55/45 split. I guess since they were roughly equal, that I had no trouble with either art or math, music or science.

During my college years the psych students loved to test me. After the third one came out showing an equal balance between right and left brain, they finally decided the test wasn't wrong -- I really did produce a balance bell curve every time. :D

Oh I am distracted.. I am right in the middle of laying wooden logs.. wait I shouldnt be on the forum right now..Anyways what was I saying?

Well this one time.. ooo a butterfly..be right back.. :happydance:

• Like 10

Well this makes me feel better... I am getting more and more creative:-) Very interesting. I would always describe myself as analytical, love details, did not like art and music but strangely tested balanced.

I got to stop in the middle of my last forum session to go see our resident snake; it was just out in the open, apparently digesting some rodent or other, so I got to get a good long look at it, and its a black racer, not the indigo I had thought; still a most welcome neighbor!  I have to have two or three projects going in the shop; right now I'm bricking the foundation in between furniture projects.

Sue, we can be analytical and still be easily distracted.

• Like 1

Yep, me too. I've done the Hermann brain whatsit with results of equal parts analytical, sequential and creative, with creative going crazy under stress. Poor old interpersonal barely made an appearance at all! Haha! And I do love pretty stuff.

Oh I am distracted.. I am right in the middle of laying wooden logs.. wait I shouldnt be on the forum right now..Anyways what was I saying?

Well this one time.. ooo a butterfly..be right back.. :happydance:

Wow, this is me. I really have to concentrate to get a chore completed. I start to clean out a closet and end up sitting on the floor looking at pictures or the phone rings and I go to something totally different and then I remember the closet.

With my dollhouse, I go from exterior to interior to furniture.....but what can you do? When an idea comes you have to move on it, right?

• Like 2

It feels great knowing I am not alone :cheers: I sat down at the computer on my way to the kitchen to fix breakfast…how did I end up here and why did I just print a recipe off of Pinterest for cookies, now I need to go to the grocery store. How did this happen :Jumpy:

• Like 4

I've never considered myself to be easily distracted, but I am very good at multitasking.  I can have several things going on at once and move from one to the other easily.  I did one of those tests a few years back, which determines which half of the brain one uses, and was told I am right-brained.  It says:  I have the natural fluency of a writer and the visual and spatial strengths of an artist. 

I guess I can live with that. :)

Highly analytical. I could focus on one project for hours. My family has to remind me to eat. I've gotta get it done. Today, my husband couldn't find my auto registration renewal.he was in a panic. I was too busy on my house and the looming Friday deadline to care. I dealt with it later when it was important to me. I calmly found it right where he put it.

• Like 1

I have lists of my lists but that still doesn't stop the "Oooo a butterfly" moments - at least not for me.

Back when I was in school, ADD and such things weren't invented and there was no help for kids like me.

It was just notes sent home to my parents telling them that I "needed" to stop with this daydreaming business immediately.

Yea, right - I'll just do that, sigh ....

• Like 3

I have lists of my lists but that still doesn't stop the "Oooo a butterfly" moments - at least not for me.

Back when I was in school, ADD and such things weren't invented and there was no help for kids like me.

It was just notes sent home to my parents telling them that I "needed" to stop with this daydreaming business immediately.

ahh yes. "she is so bright. if only she would apply herself".

ah yes. And the whole Ld thing "shes lazy...really what do you expect of her? You people never do well anyway"

Do that in the craft room...".Let me just paint this piece here, oh look at that piece over there, that would make a great whatever...and hmm, wonder if I could make a travel trailer out of a ham can.......ooo, the birdies are making a nest in the house outside my window......"

• Like 1

Lazy, not applying herself, daydreamer, fooling around, not paying attention, not cooperative, disobedient, not working up to potential, one of "those" kids .....

Oh yeah, I've heard it all and also said of my little guys. Makes my blood boil!

.look at the wonderful people you've all become! .

I've thought the same thing ... this is indeed a gathering of wonderful people. No matter our backgrounds, experience, training, skill sets or any other variables, here we come together to share creative ideas in an environment of acceptance, nurturing and encouragement. With many thanks to our admins and mods for keeping the focus. 

This virtual Greenleaf Village is a great place to hang out. :thumb: