Making bedding sets

Mimajo

16 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I was hoping to get a chenille type bedspread.

You an also cross-stitch them, if you like doing that kind of thing.  There are a couple of good miniature cross-stitch bedspread patterns out there that look like chenille spreads.

On Friday, October 27, 2017 3:10:12, Debsrand56 said:

You an also cross-stitch them, if you like doing that kind of thing.  There are a couple of good miniature cross-stitch bedspread patterns out there that look like chenille spreads.

On Friday, October 27, 2017 7:24:01, havanaholly said:

You could do the chenille pattern in French knots.

You two have obviously mistaken me for somebody else. If I tried any cross stitching, two things would happen immediately: I'd stab myself in the foot with a needle and I'd cross stitch the cloth to my boobs. Let me put it this way: the only knot I know how to tie is a quick release one for tying a horse to a hitching rack. :D

On Friday, October 27, 2017 3:02:09, KathieB said:

:hmm: Could you shave or pull threads in a baby terrycloth washcloth to make it resemble chenille?

19 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

My dollar store had some very fine fuzzy washcloths that might work for chenille, but I bought them a while ago. I can go look to see if they still have them if you'd like.

WASHCLOTHS! What a wonderful idea! As soon as my underwear arrive from Walmart, I'm running down to the Dollar Store to see what they have. Or I might just go commando and drive down there tomorrow. YES!:happydance:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

As soon as my underwear arrive from Walmart, I'm running down to the Dollar Store to see what they have.

Was your underwear lost in the Great Bedbug Purge of 2017? Or are you like me and hate to buy clothes, so all of it wears out at exactly the same time!

• Like 1

I wondered if she needed the new ones to run in athough it is a bit cool right now in Washingtom to jog with your shirt tucked into your underwear.

However I hope the trip pays off and you get your Chenille type stuff. I have been racking my brain for a fabric that would do it for you.

Veeeeery funny, you guys! Jeannine...I can't even...:headhurts:imagine...:eek:

*sigh* Cynthia is right. I did order them from Walmart. Over the preceding years my many pairs of underwear have unraveled and dribbled down to three or four and all of them are in the laundry basket as of yesterday. What I didn't realize is that I have no quarters to do laundry, a new situation caused by getting a checking account and now paying for everything by debit card.:oops: So I had a wonderful idea and decided to have the underwear brought directly to me (you're right, Kathie - I hate shopping) and ordered a multitude of underwear from Walmart and now realize that they (the underwear, not Walmart) are coming via FedEx and they (FedEx, not the underwear) won't be able to get into the building. So tomorrow early I get to call FedEx and have them call me when they're about 10 minutes out and meet them at the front door.

Which if I were going to venture out underwearless, I could have done just that and gone to Walmart and purchased them in the first place (the underwear, not Walmart).:shy: This is how stupid I can be. Not only did I do that, but at the same time I also ordered aspirin (I get a certain brand from Walmart that costs $8 there and about $13 everywhere else). Of course it won't be coming in the same package (which I found out after I ordered and paid for it with the underwear:blink: - underwear order, that is). It arrives a week later. The Walmart I get the aspirin from is about 15 miles from me unless I get it at the local Walgreens and pay a lot more. So I ordered it. The price was $12 (groan) and now it, also, is coming by FedEx. I am NOT calling FedEx to let me know when a lousy aspirin bottle is arriving, so it will probably go to the shipping center in Silverdale. So in effect, I will be paying the same price but driving twice as far to get it as I would have driven if I had gotten the aspirin at Walgreens just down the street, although not as far as the Walmart, so that's something (which is, I believe, called a spit in the ocean). :grrr:

I would never tell anyone "May all your sorrows be little ones like mine". I wouldn't even do that to my enemies!:wacko:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

paying for everything by debit card.

Please tell me you are not using your debit card to order on line. With a debit card, the $$ are removed from your account at the time of the purchase. You are leaving yourself open to having your checking account hacked and have no recourse if there is a problem with your order. The money is gone.

Get a credit card. Check with your bank to see what no-fee cards they offer. Use it on line. If there is a problem, the credit card company can reverse/refund errors - like if you don't get what you ordered or you suddenly find yourself getting hellaciously expensive and useless cosmetics every month when all you did was request a FREE sample for a $2.95 S&H charge. If you pay the credit card charge every month, there won't be any interest charges, and you'll have peace of mind.

54 minutes ago, Sable said:

In my area, if there is no one to sign for a FedEx delivery they automatically take it to the nearest Walgreens for pickup. This avoids stolen packages from front porches.

I'm in a gated community. I guess the prevailing theory is that we have no thieves among us, as both FedEx and UPS leave dump the package at the front door. Sometimes they ring the doorbell, more often not. If I'm expecting a delivery, I listen for the sound of a truck engine gunning its way to the next stop. 

6 hours ago, jbnmini said:

:roflmao:  Kelly, you crack me up!!  Thanks for today's giggle! 

You are welcome. And may I add, I can has underwear. They arrived today and someone must have left the FedEx guy in, because the package was by my door. They're pretty, they fit, and while I knew I went into plus size this time, I had no idea how fat I really was, because these things are huge. I could sack potatoes in them. But now I can go get quarters for laundry and know if I'm in an accident, I've covered. :p Take that, Geico!

Kathie, yes, I do use the debit card. It was worse than you think. I found out that my savings account automatically covers the checking account if I run out of money. I had hysterics when I found that out. I promptly opted out of that! But any hacker would have to work fast. Between the time the money goes in and the time I spend it all is usually a couple of hours. If someone hacked my account right now, all they'd get would be a couple of dollars or so. Usually anything I buy online is miniature related and so it goes through Paypal.

5 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

https://youtu.be/R0Rvrsytlp0.     She does a 3 part tutorial on the bed.  This is the 2nd one.  She inspired me to try crocheting a grannie square.  I'll start on real world first, lol

Thank you! I am going to get breakfast and then sit right down and watch it IF I can access Youtube. All of a sudden Youtube is saying my browser can't access them, but I can't get any further updated on my browser because I'm still using XP. Hence the purchase of a new computer next month. But it's hit and miss on Youtube, some videos I can still watch and some I can't.

• 1 year later...

I'm rly annoyed with miniature bedding. I ordered a closeout chloe comforter set from miniatures.com for my gothic double bed (also from miniatures.com) and it sticks straight out on the sides but is too long from head to foot. I want it to look like a bed you could sink right into with linen sheets and a puffy down comforter. I can't sew anything but buttons but I'm willing to try. I'd like to add weight to the sides to make it hang but I'm not sure what to use. Rice maybe?

Something like this. I just want to sink down in this!! But my lil bed has a gorgeous footboard so only the sides need to drape. I saw a suggestion to stitch the sides down from under the bed but i first need a comforter wide enough to do that.

Screenshot_2018-11-12-08-35-29.png

11 minutes ago, Argh! said:

I can't sew anything but buttons but I'm willing to try. I'd like to add weight to the sides to make it hang but I'm not sure what to use. Rice maybe?

Hairspray. Cover the bed with aluminum foil or waxed paper to protect it, then place on a piece of corrugated cardboard. Use straight pins stuck into the cardboard to force the coverlet into the shape you want. Then spray it with hair spray. Soak it with hair spray.  When it dries, the hairspray disappears to the eye but holds the cloth into the desired shape. Lift the spread off the bed, remove the protective material, and voila! -- the look you want.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Soaking the coverlet in undiluted liquid laundry starch and pinning it as Kathie suggests,   Do a test first, to make sure the starch disappears and doesn't leave a shiny residue.

Starch will alter the look of the cloth. I've used it to glue fabric to a hard surface. Where I've applied it too heavily and it soaks through, it leaves a spot.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Starch will alter the look of the cloth. I've used it to glue fabric to a hard surface. Where I've applied it too heavily and it soaks through, it leaves a spot.

I figured you would know all about starch!  I guess Deb used hairspray on my bed.

• Like 1