Hello from Utah!

Hello!  

I'm new to the forums and new to miniatures.  I found Otterine's Haunted Heritage on the internet a few months back, and fell in love with the whole idea, and decided, well, why not.  I used my tax return to buy the Fairfield kit (of which should be here on Saturday), and haven't been able to keep myself contained.  I'm super excited, cause its such a beautiful house, but I can't help but want to bash it!  Kind of afraid to, for it will be my first build, but I will decide after I open the kit and take a look at it.

I'm excited to have found this community and have spent quite some time looking at the gallery at all the wonderful builds!

Welcome to the little family, Derrick.  I built two Fairfields at the same time and had great fun bashing both of them!  I admit I had to put each one into dry fit several times, and disassembled one once and the other one twice and put them back together again; but it can be done.

Hi, Derrick, and :welcome: to the party. 

This may be your first build but don't think twice about bashing it. If you think it, it can happen. :D If you need to brainstorm, there are some very creative brains here to enable  help you.

Oops, I just looked and you probably have no idea what I meant. MacGyver was a tv show around the time you were born. He could create practically anything out of stuff just laying around. That's what we do.

Haha, I actually had to look up MacGyver.  A bit before my time, I must say...  But truly, all the best things were!  I remember seeing a trailer for a movie called MacGruber, a few years back, and I'm guessing that its a parody?

I'm sure I'll figure out how to MacGyver my way around my build!  After spending hours looking at all the 1700 pages of the gallery, I'm not so sure I will be complacent with just an ordinary Fairfield!  Sooo  much inspiration and ideas!!  

Thank you everyone for all the warm welcomes!  I'm thrilled to be here!

I wasn't able to get the last round of pictures I took of my Fairfields loaded onto a photo CD so I could put them on our computer to load them into the album, but some of the bashing I did included adding stairs to the third floor,  extending the third floor tower walls to make that room into a utility/ bathroom and opening the second floor in the tower so I could hang a Foucault's Pendulum and closing off the foyer in that version for the rest of the pendulum.  In case you're interested, HO scale culverts make nice 1:24 chimneybreasts.

Thank you!  

Thank you for the idea!  I haven't decided on fireplaces yet...  I'm not even sure if I will add the chimney with the four fireplaces! 

I got the kit yesterday, and I'm dry fitting it.  I was- still- a bit intimidated.  But, now that there are floors and walls, I can see more of what I want to do!  I have decided, that I'm not exactly liking the two open sides.  I really like the dollhouses I have seen that have just the backs being open.  And I think that I can modify it so its possible, by making the parlor smaller, the kitchen bigger (I would switch the two rooms, of course), and removing the wall between the original parlor and dining room.  I think If I turn the gable wall in the back of the fairfield to the wall I want to close off, it will seem more...  Correct?  I would also take out the wall between the bedrooms.  I dunno.  Its ambitious, and I'm not sure if it will work...  I also don't want to make it so I can't get furniture to the back of the original parlor.  My husband said to make a hinged side for just the original parlor, if I wanted to keep the wall between them (So I can add more kitchen cabinets), but I'm not sure how I feel about a hinged wall..  

All I know is that I don't really like the two open sides.  Love the fairfield, but I just wish it was a little different layout.

What do you guys think?  Too ambitious?  

Not sure I understand all your changes but it gets complicated if you have to adjust or move the roof. In other words, changing interior walls is usually not a big deal but changing exterior walls and roof lines can be a big deal. It depends what you really want to do. Create a plan using foam core.

Agreed that you need to draw out your thoughts and make some models before sawing up up the wood. It's surprising how great something seems in your head or on paper but in 3D it just doesn't follow your plans.

Center hinged houses are doable but usually with simple rooflines. Perhaps just adding a hinged wall on one of the open sides would settle your uneasiness.

Good luck and welcome to the world of minis and creative bashing.

The reason the Fairfield has two open sides is that it is two rooms wide and deep, and that is the way to access at least three of them (keep the foyer simple).  I had toyed with the idea of hinging the two Fairfields I built, but fell in love with the roofline; so when I'm not playing with them I just set them side by side.  The chimney and fireplaces (with built in bookcase) are what tie the two room on each floor together, and are a lot of fun to work with; but I'm a sucker for fireplaces, anyway (although I'm omitting Washington's in the interest of having room).

Hi, Derrick, and :welcome: to the party. 

This may be your first build but don't think twice about bashing it. If you think it, it can happen. :D If you need to brainstorm, there are some very creative brains here to enable  help you.

Lol, there are certainly alot of "enablers" here!  Welcome Derrick - I'm sure you'll find all the help you need and soon you'll be bashing away!