Anyone here doing no poo?

rodentraiser

I was intrigued by the no poo movement (no shampoo), simply because I'm lazy and hate washing my hair and because I don't have a hair dryer. I started doing this last summer and ended up quitting after a week or so. Recently I decided since I was pretty much not going anywhere or seeing anyone right now, I would restart again and see what happened, and I have to say, I'm mildly surprised.

Is anyone else doing no poo or thinking of it?

Ummm...no. Big no. I have a scalp condition, sebhorreic dermatitis, which requires a medicated shampoo as part of my treatment. My scalp would be way too itchy if I didn't use it. On the plus side, it makes my hair super shiny and healthy looking, and it doesn't smell bad, although straight from the bottle it does.

What is the purpose of not using shampoo?  Are you using a shampoo substitute or just rinsing your hair with water?

Update:  Never mind.  I just opened the link and got my answers.

I usually wash my hair with shampoo every day.  Since I am not having problems with my hair where I was advised to do otherwise, I don't think I will be attempting this anytime too soon.  However, this challenge is interesting, and I hope you get the results you are looking for.

When I had long hair, I washed it everyday with shampoo and conditioner I always used products in my hair..

I chopped off the mane for a pixie cut and now I use a three in one men's rinse to do the whole diddy..mostly because I like the fresh scent..but only need about a palms worth for everything ;)

I only shampoo my daughters hair every three days...she by far has the most beautiful hair in the lands, long, shiny, hand tangle free.

I know its better for you and your hair to reduce the amount of product used, my daughter will continue with this reduced..but still washing method....but still...washing!

I lived in Arizona when I was younger, lots of deadlocked folks smelling bad...please wash..at least once in a while..Please?

• Like 1

I don't use shampoo in my hair as much as I used to. I started this about 4 years ago after being told that I'm stripping my hair of natural oils and as we get older, that is what ages the hair. I use a Co-wash (conditioner cleansing wash). I don't use Wen but I use Carol's Daughter "Hair Milk" it gave my hair body and life again. I use shampoo once a month though. I work out and sweat a lot so I was killing my hair washing it with shampoo every other day. The co wash has helped so much, especially since I have ethnic hair. Sometimes, I'll water down regular conditioner too and use it as a co-wash ;)

A few years ago I tried using alternative hair washing methods. Overall it was a failure. My long hair was never conditioned enough. It was a bad combination of fly-away split ends and greasy looking scalp. Some products made my scalp itch (I have super sensitive skin, scalp included!).  My sister-in-law had a huge jug of Wen and it smelled great, but it didn't work for me. So I've had the best luck with Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo. I'm at a point where I only wash my hair every 2-3 days, so if it looks limp, it's time to wash.

I've tried water-only, conditioner-only, and shampoo bars, and have decided that CWC (condition-wash-condition) works best for me. I've always had a really oily scalp and it takes quite a while to get acclimated to anything new. I really wanted conditioner-only to work and tried it for six months before giving up. The shampoo bars (I got mine from Chagrin Valley) worked well, but took so long to work through my hair that each hair washing meant well over half an hour in the shower. I need to get another squeeze bottle to keep in the shower for my clarifying diluted apple cider vinegar rinses.

What type is your hair, rodentraiser? Mine will spiral on the ends and it's fairly long, so it needs lots of moisture. The Long Hair Community forum has lots of great info on hair care, even if you're not trying for super long hair.

My hair type is thin and somewhat curly. It mats - I kid you not - as it dries. If I go someplace to get my hair cut and they wash it, I have to tell them it will tangle as it dries and they will have to comb it again. And again and again.

I used to just wash my hair once a week and I still have a picture and my hair was gorgeous. Now, it's awful and I was washing it every 2 days. I decided to go no poo when I saw an article by a woman whose hair was just like mine: fly away and unmanageable for two days, then totally greasy. I thought if she could do it, I could do it too.

For the first three weeks my hair was totally greasy and gross. I'd wash it with warm water in the shower and the next day it wouldn't be so bad, but the day after that, a greasy mess. Finally, last Thursday, I wondered if my scalp had adjusted but I wasn't really getting rid of all the built up grease with water, so I washed my hair with baking soda on the roots and finished with an apple cider vinegar mix on the ends, and it looked great. The top is still a little oily, so I'm giving this experiment until the end of April. I really, really, want my hair back to what it was back in the 80s.

I'll let you know how it comes out.

Kelly, this one caught me by surprise. I had to Google the no poo movement. The article left me scratching my head, figuratively speaking, but much relieved as to the definition of "poo". :D

Kathy!!! LMAO

Ummm...no. Big no. I have a scalp condition, sebhorreic dermatitis, which requires a medicated shampoo as part of my treatment. My scalp would be way too itchy if I didn't use it. On the plus side, it makes my hair super shiny and healthy looking, and it doesn't smell bad, although straight from the bottle it does.

Hmmm, I read about a couple of women and one's husband going no poo who had the same condition, and when their hair and scalp adjusted, they didn't need a medicated shampoo. However, if I could find a shampoo that left my hair shiny and healthy looking, I wouldn't switch!

How long is your hair? Have you tried oil on the ends? I've used and liked coconut oil, Nightblooming's Hair Panacea, and Redken Diamond Oil. The Diamond Oil helps my hair with tangling issues, although it's never tangled to the level yours does, and the others are good for just adding moisture to the length.

Darn. I went to look up several Pinterest pins I have about hair health and care, and both great articles are gone.

I have given it serious thought before but my hair gets so oily I don't think I could last through the transition period. I have gotten it so I can go 2-3 days between shampoos with the help of a cornstarch dry Shampoo mixture and it took forever . My aunt was a stylist and only washes HR hair about once every two weeks-it's dry and curly and gets unmanageable with more frequent washing. But still, she has not cut out Shampoo completely, just drastically cut down.

I tried the baking soda and vinegar wash for a while a year or two ago because I kept having a problem with flaking scalp. My hair turned out nice with the baking soda and vinegar treatment, but I found getting the baking soda difficult to distribute evenly on my head, so I quit doing it.

People do shampoo their hair a lot more often now than they used to. I read somewhere that the manufacturers started making shampoos milder and milder so people would have to wash their hair more often to get it feeling clean. 
Last week I got my hair cut short. I've been cutting my own hair for most of the past 20 years and I wanted a change. It's too hard to layer your own hair in the back. It was nice to hear that the stylist said my hair dididn't look like I'd been cutting it myself and it looked pretty good to her. I read that Helen Mirren often cuts her own hair.

According to Ruth Goodman, experimental historian (Victorian Farm, Tudor Monastery Farm etc) the secret is a FINE tooth comb, and combing every day. 

I use Prairie Organics shampoo. My hair is very oily, very thick and very fine, so after 2 days it looks pretty awful. I can use a corn starch based talc to absorb the oil and comb it thru, but that does nothing about the stale hair smell....

How long is your hair? Have you tried oil on the ends? I've used and liked coconut oil, Nightblooming's Hair Panacea, and Redken Diamond Oil. The Diamond Oil helps my hair with tangling issues, although it's never tangled to the level yours does, and the others are good for just adding moisture to the length.

Darn. I went to look up several Pinterest pins I have about hair health and care, and both great articles are gone.

Oh, maybe a little longer than shoulder length. Um, I don't think I'll be putting any oil on the ends, though. Believe me when I say the ends get as greasy as the top after only a couple of days.

Right now, after just a hot shower and washing my hair with water, I'm having hardly any problems combing it out. The biggest problem was when I would comb it before, I would just lose handfuls of hair and I had split ends all the way up to my scalp. I'm hoping the no poo thing will help with that because I was actually starting to go a little thin on top. That's another reason I started this. I was tired of shedding like a collie all year round.

I use Neutrogena T-Sal, which smells like paint thinner from the bottle, but disappears once I lather up with it. It does a really good job of cleaning the grease without totally stripping the moisture from my hair. It also heals the scaly plaques on the scalp which drive me bananas with the itching; worse of course in the summer, when my scalp starts to sweat and sweat. Of course if the scalp is really bad I break out the Loprox shampoo. And I have a little fluid squeeze bottle of another medicine I use 3 times a week. I also use Suave conditioner on the ends and bottom half of my hair, which is long and thick, but fine textured, because once it starts to dry, the tangles come out to play. Also Pantene detangling spray when I comb it.

Have you ever tried a protein treatment to strengthen your hair? I use coconut milk - shampoo first, then drench my hair with the coconut milk while still in the shower, bun it and cover with a plastic shower cap. Last time I slept in it. Wash it out and follow with a good moisture treatment. Protein treatments can be drying so they always need to be followed by moisture.

The Redken oil is not heavy at all. I use it to control flyaways and add shine around my face and at the roots, so it's very light. It might be worth a shot to just try on your ends if you can get a free sample from a salon or store. It would only take about 3 drops or so. If you can't get a sample and would like to try it, I would be happy to send the one I just got to you.

Just my thoughts. :)

If you want to overdose on hair information, Igor's Bell Tower is written by a Danish woman who has hair past her knees. She's done a lot of testing and has a lot of knowledge. The link above is to her beginner's guide.

Lol, your topic title caught me by surprise!  I am blessed with long thick hair and I admit to not washing it as often as I should - usually once a week, occasionally twice.  Every couple of years it starts to drive me crazy so I cut off enough to donate and then usually don't do anything else with it.  I'd say the most I've probably ever visited the saloon would be twice a year.  I tend to stay with a saloon once I find one I like though, and tip well as cutting my hair is kind of a big deal to me.  I do love having my hair washed by the stylist though - dunno why, but it feels so wonderful to have someone play with your hair!  I do always tell them not to bother drying it though as it takes forever - 30 minutes or more if I need it dried completely right away.  They rarely listen though and I have found that once a stylist get the chance to work with long hair they usually keep me there for an hour or more!  The problem with so few visits to the saloon is that most of the stylists I meet have moved on long before I ever make it back to see them again!  I've tried short hair (up to my chin was probably the shortest I have ever gone), but I always seem to go back to long hair.

When I do wash it myself, it's usually before bedtime and then I just go to bed with it wet, 8 hours later it's still damp to wet and then I will use a hair dryer or flat iron for a few minutes to finish drying.  As far as washing though I do it when it starts to feel greasy or when I've got somewhere "important" to go the next day.  Funny thing is I get the most compliments when I'm two or three days out from a hair washing.  I rarely use hair products either - sometimes a spray protectant if I'm flat ironing my hair and that was only after other people told me in a panic that I would damage my hair without one?

I've tried some of the spray type dry shampoos to lengthen the time between washes, but I have yet to find one that is really made for dark dark hair.  If you have light colored or even beautiful blonde hair then I imagine these work great.  I've seen some diy dry shampoos that use cocoa powder for darker hair, but I haven't tried them yet.  In a pinch I will use just regular baby powder and either sprinkle it around my temples or add some to my hairbrush before brushing.  The talc absorbs moisture and leaves my hair soft.  Of course it is bright white in my hair so I have to make sure to brush it through completely or else everyone will think I have dandruff lol!