Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

I mean, for $35 I think it sounds like a steal even if it's missing  a few small parts.

It does sound like a great deal.  I'm glad the seller didn't turn out to be some creepy guy.  :-)  It should be a fun build.  How old is DD?

Maya is a very mature 13 (she's an only). She LOVES building things and is constantly on SIMS and minecraft building houses. In art, she's working on a small clay model of the same house from Coraline and comes home with daily updates. I am a very active maker of all sorts (cakes, clothes, crafts, etc.) so she's grown up around me building things and I've always encouraged her to build. It's the engineer in me :). She was a bit disappointed yesterday when it seemed like the deal was going south so she'll be really happy to find out it worked out after all. I think it will be challenging and I'll have to help her especially since those Dura Craft houses are a bit more work but I think she'll really like it. I do think she'll do the complete build first and then paint later but we'll see!

What a great project for her!  If I had been given a house kit like this when I was 13, I would have been over the moon.  Plus it sounds like you can maybe do some mother-daughter bonding when you work together.  So glad it worked out.  

Well, its a bit of a mess but it looks like the bones of it are all still there so that's promising. Someone tried to put it together at some point but never finished. It certainly wont be a cut and dry project but I think we can bring her back to her intended glory. She's in there. She just needs some love.

IMG_0957.JPG

Nice find and for $35! Worse case scenario, spare parts for further builds. If you need something, I may have a part leftover from my San Fran build. It's a different number house but I would think most parts compatible. 

So here is a Fairfield I found on craigslist and I went bought it...and I am so glad. I was too busy to pick it up for a week, so it was up for grabs for a week before I got to it. No other offers were made. It was $50 and worth every penny to me as I have an aversion to building kits (and especially the staircase in the Fairfield). The exterior is exactly what I'd have chosen, so it was meant to be.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7917

i don't think I have it in me to put siding on. I am very aware of my building limitations. I'm really terrible with exteriors.

I am going to brick the foundation and add attic stair/ladder thing to 3rd floor. Finish the unfinished walls and change the wallpaper in 2 or three rooms. Or all of it. Who knows. I just am so relieved not to have to build it.

Yes! We need a 1:12 Fairfield! And lasercut! - I would also like a 1:48 version. It really does have a nice spacious layout. 

Nice buy! Papering the front entry will probably be a challenge. For the upstairs hallway, I did mine after assembly by using stiff scrapbook paper instead of wallpaper. Because it's stiff, you can cut a long strip of the correct height, fold the paper where it needs to be folded and trace the window outlines, pull it out to cut the windows out and add glue, and then put the paper back in. MUCH easier than trying to do that long skinny area with wallpaper.

They're pricey, but there are folding attic stairs available in half scale. That might be easier than trying to put in a staircase because you'll just have to cut a hole.

• Like 1

Congratulations, Jenn!  Not all of us are cut out to be builders and I'm discovering with Brimble's that the prima donnas are more trouble than my old bones want to fool with (I'll finish it before I start another kit, I can only attend to one at a time).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fov said:

Nice buy! Papering the front entry will probably be a challenge. For the upstairs hallway, I did mine after assembly by using stiff scrapbook paper instead of wallpaper. Because it's stiff, you can cut a long strip of the correct height, fold the paper where it needs to be folded and trace the window outlines, pull it out to cut the windows out and add glue, and then put the paper back in. MUCH easier than trying to do that long skinny area with wallpaper.

They're pricey, but there are folding attic stairs available in half scale. That might be easier than trying to put in a staircase because you'll just have to cut a hole.

Those are the attic stairs I want --thank you! Where do half scalers get baseboard and cove mounding in half scale sizes? 

1 hour ago, Elsbeth said:

Those are the attic stairs I want --thank you! Where do half scalers get baseboard and cove mounding in half scale sizes? 

I used strip wood for baseboards in the Fairfields.

$200 San Fran, with attention paid to the paint and a primed interior. Those rooms are so deep...and I always feel like it needs a proper dining room. I just never felt like the interior was spacious enough, yet I love the exterior of this kit. I had one once (built) and gave it away.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tag/6048014603.html