Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

It looks like the bathroom has a door to each bedroom in it and the stairs come up in front of it. It's just the angle of the camera that makes that bathroom look deeper than it is.

8 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Is Strombecker only 1/2 scale? I would love to do a pre-war house as well. It reminds me of some of the furniture my grandma had in her house. The dresser is lovely.

I've found it to be between 3/4" and 1" scale, depending on the piece. Actually, the smaller pieces go really well in the Greenleaf houses with their smaller rooms and staircases.

I went to a flea market back in the 80s and found a little Strombecker desk - the one with the curved drawers like that dresser and with the fold down top. I bought it for $5. It's going in the Arthur under the window by the stairs. Someone sold the same desk for $75 once on eBay, but hers was in great condition. Mine is scratched all over, so I was thinking of refinishing it. I'm never going to sell it anyway, so I don't know why not.

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

Mine is scratched all over, so I was thinking of refinishing it. I'm never going to sell it anyway, so I don't know why not

I agree Kelly...but then I think of those poor people on The Antiques Roadshow who polish the Tiffany lamp and ruin its value. (I need to stop watching that show)  Sometimes something is just unattractive no matter how valuable it is. I always use the  saying, " if the barn needs paint, paint it"! That's in reference to my face needing make-up.:ermm:

• Like 1

Sounds terrible to say I completely agree with that statement! I have two Lawbre houses now, and between both of them I've only spent $50 to purchase one and got the other free! lol

... I really need to get to working on at least one of them here soon. Just so many houses and kits to choose from when they speak to me they'll get worked on.  ;)

2 hours ago, minikelli said:

Kelly, I saw this and thought of you! I doubt she'll manage to get that for it... but I guess you just never know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAWBRE-RARE-Nantucket-Dollhouse-Assembled-Finished-Outside-1-12-/302286856722?hash=item4661b36212:g:MVUAAOSwWkJY85RL

I really like the exterior finishes they've used for this house.. It's beautiful.. but not $1600 beautiful... lol... and is it just me or are those switch back stairs a little weird? I don't know.. the just look too steep to me.. the pitch is off or something... :dunno:

Those stairs actually look pretty good in person(says the dope with a set for one of her houses). The way they made that house is typically not only are the stairs removable, but from what I've seen the ceilings/floors for the second and third floors are as well. Until they're glued in, they are only supported by the crown moldings that are installed.

I agree that I like the exterior as well... but I'm fairly certain there was one very similar if not the same that sold on Ebay several years back. So if she's trying to sell a house she got in an estate sale with no extra effort put into it for that -- it just disappoints me.

The seller is a mini shop owner (Lolly's outside of Chicago) I have purchased a couple of items from her on ebay.  Always enjoyed visiting her shop while in Chicago for the show she always had so many assembled houses on display.  Now I understand she is scaling down to retire.  I would guess she bought the house with the exterior finished from Lawbre.  

Lolly (Janet) showed me the house last week and explained that she contacted Teri at Lawbre about Windows as the previous owner didn't have them. It's so old that Teri didn't have them, so Janet located those Alessio ones. She still had to alter/fill to make them fit. She did the exterior including slate from Lawbre. Windows etc are never permanently attached, knowing the buyer will decorate etc.

As Valerie says, she has assembled houses on display but she does and can do extra work to make a house sellable. 

• Like 2

Thanks for that Heidi, that explains a lot!  I was seriously questioning the Alessio windows, thinking there was no way Lawbre would have finished it with those. If Janet did though, makes a whole lot more sense!  :doh:

That would be the second person to contact Teri at Lawbre about the Nantucket, the first being me. Maybe she'll think there's enough interest in the house to start making it again. I shouldn't wish - if she does, it will still be way more than I can afford.

That's too bad about Lolly's though. That will be another long time brick and mortar shop leaving. But they've been around a long time. One of the "From Our House to Your House" catalogs I have came from Lolly's in the 80s. They were the makers of that wonderful modern house 'The Citadel'.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tag/6101411327.html

Custom made? Looks like the Brinca Dada Emerson to me.

And here's a "handmade" -- Little Orphan Annie? https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tag/6099627151.html

It's in rough shape but I think for that house, the price is right. Too bad the porch trim is smashed.

19 hours ago, fov said:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tag/6101411327.html

Custom made? Looks like the Brinca Dada Emerson to me.

And here's a "handmade" -- Little Orphan Annie? https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tag/6099627151.html

It's in rough shape but I think for that house, the price is right. Too bad the porch trim is smashed.

Yes - it is the Brinca Dada with a different and far less interesting staircase. Maybe that is why they said "custom-made", lol. I got a Brinca Dada house for a very low price and I love it. I put Lundby furniture in it because 1:12 crowds it. Those houses are heavy and unwieldy, but charming.

They come up now and then, usually as assembled houses. I bought one about 12 years ago for $200 as a kit. Like anything else, it depends on whether the sellers know what they have and how much they want to get rid of it. The kits were over $300 in 1979, so that says something about the price. But now, even as a kit, the shipping is probably sky high these days for it, because it's a pretty heavy house.

I think they're made out of some sort of masonite. The walls seemed like they were about an inch thick and the only windows that fit it were the ones that came with the kit. The joints are rabbeted and I couldn't use any nails on mine because the wood just crumbled when I did. I glued the daylights out of mine. It was on a base that should probably have been thicker. When I moved, two people picked the base up at each end, the board sort of flexed, and the whole house collapsed. I loved that kit, but I gave it up. It was just too much to put it together again. Fortunately, I hadn't spent a lot of time decorating it yet.

Now maybe my kit was exposed to a lot of moisture, but if you ever get one, build it in one spot and never move it. LOL

10 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

They come up now and then, usually as assembled houses. I bought one about 12 years ago for $200 as a kit. Like anything else, it depends on whether the sellers know what they have and how much they want to get rid of it. The kits were over $300 in 1979, so that says something about the price. But now, even as a kit, the shipping is probably sky high these days for it, because it's a pretty heavy house.

Thank you for the info. The price is out of my budget.

I appreciate the details  about what it was like to put together too.....:cry:

I'd be tempted to pick up a finished one if the interior was done to my liking...I like the overall look of this house, I like how it appears to be a bit rambling from the outside.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Little-Orphan-Annies-Miniature-Victorian-Doll-House-Rare/371555331758

However, I don't know how to get a formal diningroom AND a kitchen into that first floor. Not for lack of space, but the layout appears to be two large rooms with the stairs between them. I'm a sucker for 3 or 4 rooms (kitchen, living, dining, library or big stairway/hall)  with hall between them. I like this house tho.