Kansas City Dollhouse Show

I'm curious about this too. I live an hour north of Wichita KS and there's not much around for minis. The St. Louis show could be a good excuse for me to go back home and visit my family there...

I've been to one, a few years ago. It was my first of two ever shows, so I'm not much to go by, but I did enjoy it and will make sure to go on the theory that if I don't, lack of customers may mean they chose not to do it again.

My second show was the one on St. Louis, to compare them, there were a few more vendors at the St. Louis one, but the traffic was terrible and I had to go Into St. Louis - it took forever. The KC one was right off loop 435, which made it much easier. I'm not sure where it will be in KC this year, though.

I second smjsome's comment and am quoting her here:

"I've been to one, a few years ago. It was my first of two ever shows, so I'm not much to go by, but I did enjoy it and will make sure to go on the theory that if I don't, lack of customers may mean they chose not to do it again."

Hi LadyGunn

The National Museum of Toys/Miniatures in Kansas City ( http://toyandminiaturemuseum.org/) has been closed for major climate control and remodeling.  It is reopening on August 1, 2015.

That's funny, I was just asking my husband "I wonder when the museum opens back up?"

Thank you

Just FYI, I went to a small antiques mall in Merriam Kansas - close to the Ikea, and there was a booth with quite a few miniatures, furniture, etc. it was a bit pricey for me, I did buy a small chrsynbon kit, and some small bits and bobs. The owner of the stall said she had a collection from her older relatives and she fills it in as the stall empties out.

I thought for fun and such I might be stopping there occasionally, and if you are making a day trip, well, you might like to know.

Also, right before the museum shut down for the remodel I said to to a lady in the shop, I wish your shop had more miniature items to sell, and she asked what I was interested in, went into some mysterious room in the back and brought out some nice items for me to look at. I bought the metal roper? fridge for 25.00 and a leather couch for 8.00, so if anyone does go there when it opens back up, make sure you ask that they carry more geared to dollhouse and such, if only so they might consider selling more. She said the items were weeded out donations and they have a room full they a trying to decide what to do with, I suggested maybe they hold a sale, or take a table at one of the shows, but she said it seemed a lot of work. I said I'd be more than willing to volunteer,but I don't think she seemed keen. Every time a guest comes to visit and i can I take them to to the museum and fill out a comment card - I compliment and slip in, I wish there was more for sale.

Darn. It was closed a year ago when my husband had a conference in KC and I was free to run around the whole weekend, so I figured it would be open by now. 

Thank you for the info on the stores, Sharon. Would you happen to remember which antique mall you went to or what street it was on? I looked on Google maps and the closest one specialized in cowboy antiques.

Nellie and Nicos, as you go in the front door it was to the right in some glass cases. She also pulled out some baskets from behind the counter that had some fun things, told me that I could go thru them at the front desk, but I had already bought too much ...

http://nellie-nicos.com/aboutus.html

I've only been the once, I thought it was Merriam since it's so close to ikea, but the web site says Shawnee.

I also found a few single items in the booths, just a few, and it went to another antique place close by, there was a booth with 90 percent off, I bought all the dollhouse stuff there, didn't find anything else.

If you are close to Independence, MO I also have a lot of luck there at Browns Emporium.

• Like 1

Thanks! I'll have to try to check it out.

The KC show is close to Independence, MO, and I have a friend from another forum who lives there and we like to get together when we can. Maybe that visit can take place whilst wandering through some antique shops. Our first meet was in the now-closed Victorian Trading Company store/tea room (the outlet store is still open).

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI, I went junking again today, I'm starting to think I MAY have an addiction

Anyway - the River Market Antiques, in case 888 had some gorgeous little pieces that were kind of out of my range. I bought some stuff

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=110015

But, the nicer stuff was a lot of money, for me. The little tea sets, they were actually very tiny, and intricate, some in the top of the case, and some in the bottom

So, just as a FYI, this week, I found a lot, and left a lot behind (sad face) at Browns Emporium, Nellie and Nico's and the River Market Antiques...

I hope this helps someone

I did not find anything at Another ones Treasurers, or Mission Rd Antiques. Not to say they won't have any, but, hey, I checked this week, and what little they had, was within my price range so it came home with me. (Happy face)

post-14520-0-81957000-1429396902_thumb.j

• Like 1

I can tell you that the KC show is full as far as vendors are concerned. I know some of them and there will be some nice items for sale. St. Louis is still trying to add vendors, so that list may change.

Kansas City Miniature Show

WhenMay 8 – 9, 2015
WhereHoward Johnson (formerly Ramada Inn) 1601 North Universal Ave Kansas City Mo (map)
DescriptionHoward Johnson (formerly Ramada Inn) 1601 North Universal Ave Kansas City Mo Fri 4-9 Sat 10-4 Adults 5.00 Info: T&D Miniatures 636-296-3818 Miniatureshows.com Strollers and Wheelchairs Welcome

St Louis Dollhouse and Miniature Show

WhenMay 1 – 2, 2015
WhereStratford Inn, 800 South Hwy Dr, Fenton Mo (map)
DescriptionStratford Inn 800 South Hwy Dr Fenton Mo Fri 4-9 sat 10-4 Adults 5.00 Info: T&D Miniatures 636-296-3818 miniatureshows.com Strollers and wheelchairs welcome
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I won a door prize - http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=110799

And most of my purchases

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=110796-

The tiny stool is from Purple B emporium, I love his stuff, but I can't afford it - so when I saw the stool was only $5, I snagged it. Up close you can see it has little marks, dents and such, that make it look so real

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=110795-

Reac furniture, I adore them for the Eames pieces - I used to have some of the pieces in that I bought today in real size in my office at the university in NM, they had been donated to the university in house 70's.

The little bags are metal frames, candlesticks and some awesome tiny cutting boards.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=110797-http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=110798

I like unfinished furniture cause I can paint it. And so many times people say "well it's unfinished so I didn't mark it as much".

The wardrobe has actual glass! The secretary had the hardware in the drawer, and the little table was a gift

I didn't want to over load the gallery, so just group pictures for now

• Like 3

Mom and I had a ball at the show too. We took a little class before the show to make aprons. Teresa said there will be more classes next year. It was so much fun to just visit with people and see the screened porch that we'll be doing at Nebraska State Day in September. We both spent more than we planned to (yay for babysitting money!) and got lots of great ideas.

We got a chance to swing by Nellie & Nico's on the way out of town (and thankfully didn't have any of the baseball-sized hail that had been forecast). We got some of the Chrysnbon kits that were in a booth for 20% off.

My gallery of new treasures is here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=7291I requested two custom orders: a 1" doll for the creatin' contest kit and a version of the Fourth Doctor's scarf for a future project.

I emailed for information and Mom and I were the only participants. We basically hung out in the breakfast area while the exhibitors were setting up and chatted with Teresa and Sandra while gluing aprons. Bradley of Purple B Emporium was planning to do a class on aging and distressing techniques, but there was no firm info on it. Not sure if it was actually held or not.

I should've taken a large sticky nametag and written "LadyGunn from the Greenleaf forum - Say Hi!" on it. :D I did tell a lady (said she was a newbie and gathering things for her farmhouse kitchen) about the forum.

Which day did you go? Mom and I were down there from about 5-8 on Friday and 11-2 on Saturday.

Than we we were there the same days. Originally I was supposed to not be able to go friday, but my nephews graduation plans were delayed a few hours, so I was able to run up, and look around friday, 4-5:15, than I came back Saturday from 10-11:45.

That's funny!

I was alone, and had tunnel vision, staring intently at all the items, determined to spend my dollars wisely.

• Like 1

I was expecting to see several ladies from my club, so I kept interrupting my tunnel vision to check for them occasionally. If you saw a lady parked in a chair by the Miniature World booth and poring over the little tutus, that was my mom. She was completely taken by those and thought she needed one for each of her granddaughters. Then I made the mistake of mentioning that we have no idea how many daughters we may end up adopting and she decided she better get a few spares! :D

I'm glad you got to go to both the show and the graduation. :)

I posted on FB, I made out like a mini bandit.  My daughter and granddaughter went with me (well actually the daughter drove), she spent $80.00 on minis for my mother's day present.  I spent more than that.   Then we stopped at Michaels and I dropped another 100.00. 

• Like 1