Mod Podge to Seal Wallpaper

Glad to hear it. I like the fact that Mod Podge is non-toxic. Once walls are Mod Podged, is it easy to clean up just about anything left on them by a child's hand? Also, do you first prime the walls and then use wallpaper paste to apply the wallpaper, or use Mod Podge both to apply and to seal the wallpaper?

I test a corner first to see if I want to seal it, and then I use several light spritzes of cheap hairspray to seal wallpaper; but to make it washable for a child to play with I think I'd test a sample nd go with a couple of coats of matt lacquer.  I apply wallpaper with regular premixed wallpaper paste to a primed wall.

Anita, I lost my reply post earlier. The site seemed to freeze up. It may show up as a duplicate later so disregard if it does. I use the premixed wallpaper paste like Holly uses. I got it at Lowes for about $8.00 a quart. It will last me a long time. It was easy to use and gave me time to manipulate my paper in place. So I primed the walls first, then used wallpaper paste to apply the paper, then I used a couple of coats of matte modpodge to seal.  For wallpaper I used acid free scrapbook paper. I also used a textured scrapbook paper for a floor. I used wallpaper paste to apply it to a posterboard template, then I used tacky glue to glue the posterboard down on the floor. Wallpaper paste would have probably worked fine too. After the floor was down and dry I applied a couple coats of matte modpodge to the textured paper. I had a popsicle stick floor that I painted a sheer white, sanded, then applied several coats of glossy modpodge.  So I haven't used it for glue, just sealer thus far.  Now, I am new at this but I did lots and lots of homework before I used this process. I will do it again on my next house. You can see my Primrose bash house in the gallery. As far as wiping up a child's prints...I was able to clean mine up, lol, after a few messes.

I will add that everyone on this forum is refreshingly honest, and kind at the same time. They may have different opinions and use different techniques. This is what seems to be working well for me.

• Like 1

I've had some bad luck with mod podge staying just a tad bit tacky even after months. It caused it to pick up and hold dust and dirt which made the paper look terrible.

I spray seal mine before putting on the walls to prevent ink colors from running while pasting. It also makes it UV protected somewhat for fading and spills of glue, etc. wash off easily.

But that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Mod Podge to lay the paper on my kitchen floor for my Garfield. I did put several layers and sanded it in between, but in certain light at the right angle you can see brush strokes:(

But it does give it a nice shiny surface for a floor.

I haven't used Mod Podge for wallpaper sealing because I thought it might remain tacky even after drying. I have used matte acrylic varnish though. Not the spray kind but the one you can apply with a brush.

I loved the fact that it made the wallpaper indestructible. I could wipe anything off the walls and adhesives used to hold miniatures wouldn't damage the wallpaper at all.

What I don't like about sealing the wallpaper is the slight change in color hue. Sealing makes the prints a little darker. I also couldn't get over the sealed texture. I like for the wallpaper to feel like paper not like a water proof surface. I never sealed my wallpaper again. I know its great if you want your wallpaper to have longevity but I just can't live with it.

• Like 1

I haven't used Mod Podge for wallpaper sealing because I thought it might remain tacky even after drying. I have used matte acrylic varnish though. Not the spray kind but the one you can apply with a brush.

I loved the fact that it made the wallpaper indestructible. I could wipe anything off the walls and adhesives used to hold miniatures wouldn't damage the wallpaper at all.

What I don't like about sealing the wallpaper is the slight change in color hue. Sealing makes the prints a little darker. I also couldn't get over the sealed texture. I like for the wallpaper to feel like paper not like a water proof surface. I never sealed my wallpaper again. I know its great if you want your wallpaper to have longevity but I just can't live with it.

I love paper too! The look, the feel..... It just seems more Real than a hard shiny surface but you are right...sealing it almost makes it indestructable. Paper will draw dirt and dust bunnies after a while but it can be brushed off or use a vacuum. Eventually the house may need new wallpaper anyway. It probably is impossible to remove the sealed paper?!

• 2 months later...

I'm definitely a poly fan or an acrylic sealer.

ModPodge is ok for some things but I've had several bad times with it remaining with a slight tack to it. It then attracts dust and dirt like crazy. Higher humidity seems to bring it out more. But that's just me.

I've mixed it with sand to sculpt landscape scenes and it worked great for that.

Personally, no matter what I plan to do to the walls, I always prime them first, well, unless I am paneling them completely. I think it's cheaper to do that with a can of pain than it is to use Mod Podge.

I'm not sure I would do the walls with Mod Podge, unless it's changed some over the years. I used it to make shiny tiles one time and I decided I wouldn't want my walls shiny like that. I did find some marine varnish that's supposed to dry without yellowing, and I used that to seal my wallpaper once. But I noticed it also darkened them just a shade. Since then, I've decided to not seal my wallpaper at all and just make a covering for the back (although with my large dollhouse, that could be a problem) and just keep it out of the sun.

Who knows? I may want to change wallpaper one day and I'd like that to be as painless as possible.

I'm new to Mod Podge, so I can't really answer the question. I did just do a test of the "matte" on some bare wood, and it was far too shiny for the look I wanted. Does it turn out that shiny on paper?

For wood floors, I use a thin coat or two of shellac, followed by 5-8 coats of wiping varnish (not poly) sanding after every 3-4 coats. Sure looks pretty when it's done.