Shingle dye?

Llilith

Good morning!  So I'm going to home depot to look at paint samples today. I don't think I want to have regular grey or brown roof shingles. I might want to get a little more creative with the color. So, what I can use besides regular dollhouse shingle stain? Is there something I can use that comes in more colors? 

Do you have to use dollhouse shingle stain. If not, what have you tried and liked?

Thanks!

Kim

No, Kim, you do not have to use dollhouse shingle dye.  You do not have to use craft paints or dollhouse wallpaper or purchased accessories.  Much of the joy of this hobby is creating things yourself.  I do prefer paints that clean up with soap and water, like regular interior latex house paint, which comes in small sample jars or you can buy a quart of flat white and use it for primer or mix with acrylic color to make custom colors.  I like good od Min Wax stain for my shingles, applied with an rag of old teeshirt, but you can take any water based color pint (or mix your own) paint and dilute it 'way down with water to make an acceptable stain like I did on the Laurel I rehabbed:

gallery_8_1103_87952.jpg

You will find your thinking expanding out of the box and that you can do it ll, if you don't rush it.  Enjoy the ride!

• Like 2

I'm using real feathers for shingles on my Baba Yaga house. (remembering her house has chicken legs so it works for me).

You can use corrugated cardboard for a faux tin roof.

Faux copper (craft sheets) make a great look as does tin or aluminium ones.

Some folks make multi colored designs and patterns with different colors and shapes of shingles.

There are also options for Spanish tile type roof coverings - premade or created from cardboard or even cut straws.

Speaking of that, some folks have even done faux fur for a thatched style roof instead of straw or grass products.

Lots of options ....

• Like 1

You can also use florist moss, pine cone leaflets, sandpaper (one of my favorites), other kinds of paper; I used construction paper for my Glencroft pub:

gallery_8_151_168883.jpg

Moral:  paint the roof before shingling...

• Like 2

I purchased shingle dye from Real Toys. Weathered Gray.  Actually it was very easy to use. Get two tin foil trays. Punch holes the size of a pencil width, in one tray. Mix dye with water in other pan. Submerge top tray with holes into bottom tray with dye. Add shingles. Lift tray out of dye to drain and lay shingles out on newspaper. Continue in this manner until all your shingles are dyed.  Also place heavy books/boards on top of dry newspaper on shingles to dry. This way they won't warp. I was nervous about this process, but it was easy and I think the shingles came out great. Going to add some moss eventually.  Hope this helps

• Like 1

Looking at some of Ann's houses again has me thinking....can I just paint my wooden shingles?

Without watering it down as a stain? I feel it would be less likely to warp the wood?

I am using spackle for exterior walls and may paint it a pastel color...

I see pastel painted roof shingles. What do you all think?

Kim I too have watered down paint to use as a stain. It really gives you lots of options!

• Like 1

There is also staining medium from Americana.  It's a clear base that makes acrylic paint act like a stain.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=81485

l

I love the look of wood stain, but don't like using it because of the smell and having to use it outdoors. This is a great alternative, thank you! Do you have to apply a clear sealant afterwards?

• Like 1

l

I love the look of wood stain, but don't like using it because of the smell and having to use it outdoors. This is a great alternative, thank you! Do you have to apply a clear sealant afterwards?

I have sealed it and not -- depending on look I wanted.  It dries completely like paint.

• Like 1

Although this topic is about shingle dye, I want to use Brae's staining medium solution on wood flooring and furniture. I purchased the Americana Staining Medium, mixed it with some acrylic paint I already had and brushed it on some scrap wood flooring. After it dried, I applied some acrylic varnish I already had to the top half of the scrap wood. It looks pretty good, except my brush strokes weren't smooth enough and I want to use a different shade of brown acrylic paint. I'll experiment some more before I apply it to my floors or furniture, but I really like the staining medium. Thanks again, Brae

post-65689-0-39492500-1432248923_thumb.j

• Like 3

I am new to dollhouses and to this forum, so, hello! I'm about to tackle my shingles and I think I'm going to start out testing the grey dye and then I want to mix in square and octagon shingles. For the octagon shingles I'm going to use white pickling stain on top of the grey dye and make a basic design with them. I've seen Robin Carey use that look on her dollhouses and that's the best way I can think to try it. I don't know what she uses but that's going to be my attempt.

• Like 2

Briana, feel free to introduce yourself to the gang over at the Newcomers' Forum.  Which house did you build?  When you've made five posts you can open an album in the Gallery of your construction pictures.

• Like 1

Holly, Hi! I bought a Newport dollhouse fully built years ago when Hobby Lobby was downsizing their dollhouse section. I put it in storage and got it out last summer. I tore off all the trim and took the discolored windows out. I took off the shingles. I'm ready to re-paint and put stuff back now :) then tackle the interior (which was thankfully unfinished). Will do on the newcomer's forum, thanks!

• Like 1

I prefer to rehab the older Greenleaf & Corona Concepts kits that were built with hot glue, because then I can take them completely apart, remake whatever gets destroyed in the process, and then totally rebuild it, bashing as I go.

• Like 1

I am new to dollhouses and to this forum, so, hello! I'm about to tackle my shingles and I think I'm going to start out testing the grey dye and then I want to mix in square and octagon shingles. For the octagon shingles I'm going to use white pickling stain on top of the grey dye and make a basic design with them. I've seen Robin Carey use that look on her dollhouses and that's the best way I can think to try it. I don't know what she uses but that's going to be my attempt.

I've used the grey dye with good results -- you can see it in my album.  Note that you will get quite a bit of colour variation amongst your shingles using this product, so if you're planning a design alternating two different distinct colours (sounds like this is what you mean re: the pickling stain? Not sure) you may not get a clear and consistent distinction. 

By the way, if you turn your octagon shingles upside down they become square shingles! Maybe you've already realized that but just wanted to check :)

• Like 1

That's gorgoeus, Cathy!

I've used the grey dye with good results -- you can see it in my album.  Note that you will get quite a bit of colour variation amongst your shingles using this product, so if you're planning a design alternating two different distinct colours (sounds like this is what you mean re: the pickling stain? Not sure) you may not get a clear and consistent distinction. 

By the way, if you turn your octagon shingles upside down they become square shingles! Maybe you've already realized that but just wanted to check :)

I had not thought of that. I do like the variation, the shingles not being perfect, but that's true, the more imperfect they are, the harder it will be to see the pattern. Here's Robin's Newport and you can see the pattern I'm talking about. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about getting the lighter color other than the pickling stain (that I already have on hand) or maybe dilted white acrylic? Maybe I should've bought the birch shingles instead of the pine? I was thinking there would be more variation in the pine (which I like, but maybe not in this case).

Robin's House

• Like 1

Emily, I didn't know that until yesterday! I was reading a few last minute pointers about shingles before I placed my order at miniatures.com (had a 20 percent off coupon!) and read that. So clever.

• Like 1

Love that house, thanks for the link and the compliment.

Since acrylic paint comes in so many colors, the Americana Staining Medium gives many options. You could mix it with a light shade of gray for some shingles and with a darker shade of gray on some shingles to achieve the pattern you want. Just a thought...

I'm working on the Orchid interior and will use the staining medium on floors and furniture. But I already know I'll be using this method for the shingles on the next dollhouse I build. I love having so many stain color choices... without the smell, expense or mess of using real stain!

Hmm.  Yeah, I think maybe the dye will not do what you want it to do.  I really had no control over the variation in colour -- some shingles were a perfect silvery tone, but many were still quite blonde, or were totally pitch black.  The thing is, though, whatever you use, I think you'll want to apply it before the shingles go on the house, rather than after they go on the house, so you can arrange them in a pattern like this.  Many people who use paints or stains seem to apply these after they're on the house. 

Now tell me, what is pickling stain??