The Orchid Build

suej

I'm in the process of planning the Orchid. It's going to be another couple of weeks before I can open the box and begin the actual build. In the meantime, I'm reading over the instructions, have read the community Orchid blog at least three times, looked at numerous pictures and posts, etc. Building an Orchid seems to be a 'rite of passage' for miniature builders as almost everyone has built one or more. What is the appeal of this house? One thing I've looked at is the unusual space in the Gable where the porch floor raises the second floor, prohibiting easy furniture placement and good use of space. I think the bed nooks, reading, and so on are cute, but would still like the floor to be even. I'm not seeing any bashing where this is done.  What are your thoughts?

Also, once I start the building, is it appropriate to make progress remarks on this thread, or is that better on the Blog section?

I do remember someone leveling that area.

My old lady brain is just not coming up with a name at the moment. I'll work on that later.

It is possible is the bottom line.

It's fine to open your own thread like this or use the blog feature.

I think the blog feature is underutilized and folks are missing a lot of good info because they don't check it. I'm trying to be better at that.

Ah-Ha! It's like a treasure hunt. Thanks so much. I just read through the link, and once I have the house in dry-fit I can better determine what I want to do.

• Like 1

I also know that the Orchid is one I have to build! It's the first one I would have picked but my son gave me the Garfield he bought at an auction, then 2 Dura Craft San Franciscans....now several other smaller houses have popped in. Don't know where these needy little houses come from?

I need to be sure and build the Orchid soon. It really grabs a persons interest that little one!

I will enjoy watching you build it!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Well, finally getting started several months later than I had planned. My granddaughter, Hannah, and I got all our supplies organized and opened the Orchid box Saturday, April 9. This will be her house. She checked off the diagram sheets, punched and labeled her parts and asked interesting questions regarding the architectural terms. We don't plan on using the gingerbread so that helped with the punch out! We got started on making our first batch of books too. Hannah just turned 13 in February and is delightful, hardheaded, and a risk taker (which gets her in trouble sometimes:-)) I'm looking forward to this adventure with her. Yesterday afternoon we dry fit the house and began pulling out some furniture she could paint and refresh that might work with the small Orchid footprint. She is working through her vision, and I want to try really hard to let it be her vision and not mine. We will use this thread as our progress journal. Hannah began a notebook as well.  It's amazing what I've already forgotten with regard to the order of preparing the build. I'm apprehensive. Shhhh, I can't let Hannah know that. This is going to be a slow journey between school, sports, family, summer yard work, and my job.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...