Siding

Ken

I have found this interesting and have never run into this before.. On the DH I'm working on now I started putting on the siding , Using my old faithful Tight Bond III.. Well immediately noticed warping so much it would lift the tape, Pulled it off tried it again same thing. Started thinking maybe it's the siding So ordered more from a different vendor, Same thing.. Knowing wood as I do figured the siding was naturally absorbing the glue and warping, Have no idea why this was happening now after all the others with little problem.. So I say to self - Self lets do some research and see it you can come up with something. So researched on.... First I tried coating the glue side with shellac.. Still warped.. I do know to stop the warping you need to use a solvent based glue , Me don't want to use that.. More research came across Aleene's Quick dry Tacky Glue, Problem solved, Still had to figure out how to use it. Starting out as usual put glue on warping still happened, Slowly figured out don't put so much glue on, works fine, longevity don't know yet. Works well dry's fast..

Looking at the siding as I went along inconsistency in the siding thickness was noticed. So only used the thicker siding that really helped.. These are just my observations hoping it might help someone having this problem.. Not sure if this is a trend in the siding manufactures or not as long as we know about it we can deal with it..

P.S. If I would have known what I know now when I started building Dollhouses I would have taken out stock in Blue painters tape. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

• Like 1

Oh noes! You missed the stock offering!!!

I use siding sheets and they warp too. I prepaint them, they warp, then they flatten back out when they dry. I glue them to the house and they start warping again, but flatten as they dry.

One thing I've found helpful is to use a piece of wood (like a tongue depressor) across the siding to help hold it in place while its drying. I typically use binder clips with something to pad them so they don't marr the surface of the wood. Of course, I'm speaking in half scale, but you can translate :D

...One thing I've found helpful is to use a piece of wood (like a tongue depressor) across the siding to help hold it in place while its drying. I typically use binder clips with something to pad them so they don't marr the surface of the wood. Of course, I'm speaking in half scale, but you can translate :D

I use siding strips.  Every few rows I stop and cover with a piece of waxed paper and cover with scrapwood and clamp the ends or flip the house on whichever side puts the siding surface on tp nd weight it down.  I also notice no matter how much the  siding (or shingles) warp and curl, they flatten right back out as they dry.

I use siding strips.  Every few rows I stop and cover with a piece of waxed paper and cover with scrapwood and clamp the ends or flip the house on whichever side puts the siding surface on tp nd weight it down.  I also notice no matter how much the  siding (or shingles) warp and curl, they flatten right back out as they dry.

Yes Miss Holly they do flatten back out - This time they pulled up the tape way up.. I have never run into this before - Still not sure why.. Not sure if it's the quality of the wood that was used. Going to experiment some more and see what I find out.. I do normally lay the DH on it's side and use weights couldn't with this one. Either way it seems to be working out now..

Oh noes! You missed the stock offering!!!

I use siding sheets and they warp too. I prepaint them, they warp, then they flatten back out when they dry. I glue them to the house and they start warping again, but flatten as they dry.

One thing I've found helpful is to use a piece of wood (like a tongue depressor) across the siding to help hold it in place while its drying. I typically use binder clips with something to pad them so they don't marr the surface of the wood. Of course, I'm speaking in half scale, but you can translate :D

Hi ya" Miss Debora nice to hear from you again. This time it was really weird.. I assembled this one a little differently so limited me to what I could do with it (Darn) LOL  Never used siding sheets, always individual strips.. the sheets seem like a faster way to go though.. My 4 year old grand daughter will be out next month and this one I'm working on will be in eye shot, So imagine I will be doing another soon LOL

• Like 1

When gluing wood siding or baseboards or crown molding, the Mies Van Der Rohe's style admonition that less is more is the key. Dots of glue rather than a healthy shmear will do the job just fine and minimize the warping. After all, there is no great weight to be supported, and the pull of gravity is minimal, so no need for gobs and gobs of glue, eh?

Also, try Casey's trick of interspersing dots of super glue gel amid the white or wood glue dots for extra holding power while the white/wood glue dries.

I am using clapboard siding sheets which appear to be thicker than the individual thinner strips.  When I first began I painted both sides of the sheets first and then glued them on.  I used Quick Grip glue and when I ran out I then switched to 527.  I added a tiny meandering bead of glue and began installing them and only had to use some masking tape or painters tape occasionally.   None of my siding warped.  Then I saw that someone had just glued on their siding without pre-painting it so I tried that and it also worked with no warping and I have to use hardly any tape at all.   I'm not sure if that is because I live in a dry climate (Arizona) and I did read that you don't want to use any type of solvent glue which the Quick Grip and 527 is as it is not waterbased glue.   As long as you have good ventilation or work in a large room and cap the glue immediately after use I did not find it to be a problem.    It is a puzzle why you are still having warping problems but it seems that those that have replied have all tried to offer their experienced advice!   Best of luck and hope this is all helpful information.

Good to see you back to work Ken!

With the grandkids soon eyeing your work I think it's great that there will be more house building your future! :D

Well Debora I have been sitting on a set of plans for awhile now, Just for this occasion lol It's a 3 bears Log cabin with furniture and can even build the bear family should be fun..

• Like 1

Well Debora I have been sitting on a set of plans for awhile now, Just for this occasion lol It's a 3 bears Log cabin with furniture and can even build the bear family should be fun..

Sadly Ken, you're too young to be my grandpa :(

I will look forward to your three bears log cabin...I've been saving a 1:24 scale Arthur for a future three bears build (but they'll be itsy teensy bears, LOL!) :D

Well in about 5 weeks I go into the Senior Geezer club. LOL - 15 grandchildren 2 1/2 Great grandchildren.. Any time now a new grand baby will come out kicking and screaming. LOL

• Like 1