What girl????

ooohhh yyeeaaahhh, I remember.

Ofcourse it's for a girl.

med_gallery_265_4512_59803.jpg

med_gallery_265_4512_38151.jpg

Baby's doll house. Where'd my baby go??? :cry:  :cry:  :cry: :sleazy:

• Like 1

...Baby's doll house. Where'd my baby go??? :cry:  :cry:  :cry: :sleazy:

They don't stay babies long.  On the other hand, our 42-year-old youngest son is visiting, and he's still my baby!!!

• Like 1

Teen years can go either way I've found. I'm raising my third family and out of a total of 7 kiddos in all, 3 were/are real pains in the butt and the others (so far) are quite reasonable and pleasant. Two of the "pains" are grown now (one is still in the throes of pain in the butt stage) and while still opinionated, are reasonably well adjusted and pleasant adults at this point. So, all is not lost due to the teen years. Moral of the story: They all do grow up eventually, whether pains or pleasant, and some remain enjoyable all the way through. Good luck and stand your ground. They need "fences" to push against in order to try out life and feel safe while doing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Little update,

not finished yet but first test run.

unfortunately baby is sick at the moment so I had to run it solo.

Disappointed at first but swapped out motor for one better suited and things picked up.

Maybe baby will start coming rc boating with me again. Most likely she and mum will run it a couple of times and then lock in the dolls house.

Cheers Glen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2M9ajBYElo

better vid will follow.

What a difference the change of motor made! Glen, I'm impressed beyond words with your skill. I certainly hope this sleek little item doesn't get locked away.

And truth be known, I was kind of hoping one of the swans would take a swipe at that noisy little intruder. :D Are they black swans, or was that a trick of lighting?

Thanks

Kathie, don't worry about the birds, we (not so much me nowdays) run high powered boats on that lake with council permission. Birds fly away when scared and believe me they don't fly away. Wish they would sometimes. There are two more ponds literally 10 feet away specifically for wild life and another just across the road.

Council would prefer if we chased birds off this pond as kids play around it.

Totally off topic but if you look at this vid just before half way through (just after the boat crash) you can see I caught the resident white heron. I'd never seen one before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2CQlKt-0Iw

But there are literally hundreds of swans, ducks, geese, Pukekoes, swallows, herons ..... and you can see they don't move.

Kavita has already threatened to lock the boat away before it's even finished. Surely she could let me have a little play time. There’s no justice i say! none.

Cheers

Glen

Woops, that reminds me.

The inside needs black/grey industrial type carpet on the floor and sides. Any idea where I can get some? I've tried hardware shops and dollhouse places seem to stock paterned carpet not plain.

I'm thinking felt might be too thick & would absorb water when splashes occur. What about thin, pliable plastic, the kind that might be found in electronics packaging. It could be spray painted and would have a bit of shine that would say synthetic carpeting -- just right for a boat.

Found a really cool speckled spray paint that would look awesome but I glued the floor in and can't risk getting Paint on the rest of the boat. Dang it!

Found a really cool speckled spray paint that would look awesome but I glued the floor in and can't risk getting Paint on the rest of the boat. Dang it!

Could you make a cardstock (or equivalent) template of the floor area, spray that outside the boat, waterproof it as needed, and then epoxy it in when dry?

You description makes me think of that sparkled particle stuff they use with epoxy for doing concrete garage and basement floors. It can be applied shiny smooth or with a slight tooth for a non-skid finish.     

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1CX2PyUh0o

Final conclusion? excellent.
Remembering this is 100% scratch built and the motor is "printed" I couldn't be happier.
The performance is better than I really expected and the outboard went together far easier.
Unfortunately the boat is now back in the daughters doll house, I’ll be allowed to take it out to add final details, paint the engine etc  but I’d be very surprised if it ever gets wet again. Sad really. And that’s partly your fault for backing baby about the house becoming a display piece instead of a play piece! :crash:
Never mind. It was a lot of fun and a lot of learning went on.
Very cool.
Cheers
Glen

And now, Dad, you begin building something for yourself!!! We want to see your talent keep on going and there's alot of building ideas and creativity left in your fingers. I just know it.

Fabulous job on this boat, btw. Your daughter should be so thankful to have a Dad that will spend time and $$'s on her like this. Most that I know are lucky if their Dad attends the major school event of the year, let alone make something with their own hands for their child.

<jaw dropping>  Holy cow Glen, that thing *screams* across the water!!  I've literally been sitting here with my mouth open in amazement.  It did a wheelie off the start line!!!!  That boat has some serious muscle to it and the workmanship is perfection from stem to stern.  Do I remember correctly that the tractor is also done with a 3D printer or am I confusing it with something else?  I'm beyond impressed with the whole thing from the way it looks to the way it churns up a wake out there on the water.  <standing and applauding>  Awesome!!

Thanks Deb

Yes the tractor was 3D printed for the Dollhouse

Too true Selkie, however little daughter just takes it all in her stride like it's no issue.

I teach in a decile one school (lowest socio economic group possible) so I see a lot of kids "alone" or worse.

It feels horroble to have parent interviews where the kids have alone 'cause mum and dad don't care enough to come along.

anyway  :ermm:

Let me play with it? No chance of that with these two, memories like elephants :evil:

What does surprise me a lot is that Kavita, for some reason, refuses to have people (dolls) on the boat. I thought it would have looked cool.

All good.

Cheers

Glen