Dream catcher Doilies

I first noticed these on etsy and then had to try making my own. I learned that it doesn't work so hot with a pointed doily, it should probably be done with more of a rounded one. But I thought I would share and maybe it would spark someone's creativity :) I think these are really neat (I need more practice) ( check google images pinterest or etsy for really beautiful ones) and there are plentiful tutorials online. What a great way to use all of those doilies which sadly have passed out of fashion...thank goodness our grandmas saw fit to make so very very many of them :)

I made this as a good luck charm for my new craft room... the doily is a thrift shop find I found in my stash of fabric when I was organizing yesterday. I used ribbons I had no other particular use for to hang down and tied some charms on them. Within the doily I placed crystals from an old chandelier. The other neat thing about making these is you probably already have everything necessary to do it. A doily, an embroidery frame or even willow twigs tied in a circle or a large ring used in macrame...string and then just whatever else you feel like adding.

post-185-0-48499500-1433686385_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-90713700-1433686395_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-71991300-1433686406_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice idea. Love that pretty doggie in the background too.

I've taken some old doilies and matted and framed them to match the décor of a small room. I used acid free scrapbook paper as the backing and handed stitched from the backside to hold it in place under the glass. Was a nice way to use some that were special to me.

• Like 1

Makes me think of woodland_ miniatures (Mary) and wonder how she is doing. She makes such delicate crochet work. I think she was having more surgery on her amputation area. She is so marvelous with her hands.

I think of that every time I look through old linens at antique stores, next to no monetary value for all of that work. Even on eBay I was just watching a drop dead gorgeous antique hand sewn quilt with Dresden plate blocks mixed with pitcher and bowl blocks. So pretty in blues and white, last I checked the bidding was $35. Just sad that the family of whoever made it couldn't/wouldn't keep it.

These are so pretty!  Slightly beyond my crochet ability but beautiful to look at!

Ah, but Roxy, no need to crochet. Get the doilies in antique and junk shops and stitch to a hoop. :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've ben making doilies ever since, but planning to crochet them together to make a pretty vest to wear over other clothes when we go out since the best seats for listening to the music always seem to be located under the a/c blowers.

• Like 1

At least you have AC blowers!  Hardly any place out here has AC and it does get hot!  We went to a concert last year at a small auditorium at the art museum and it was about 95 inside that room!   It was awful!  
I bet that will be a pretty crocheted vest! 
I found embroidery hoops but they look like plastic embroidery hoops !  LOL   I forgot to look for hoops last time I was in Hobby Lobby.  I tried making one from wire but it just looked like a lumpy wire circle.  :p      I will keep looking! 
By the way, Pueblo Indians do not make Dream catchers, only the northern plains Indians.   They just sell them here in the shops for the tourists.

No Holly, those are made by the Navajo and Zuni more in Colorado and Arizona.   We just don't have the resources here but I will keep looking.  Its funny when people come here to visit they are often surprised that I actually live here and they usually don't get the lack of shopping.  Shopping seems to be the American past time.  We have an antique Walmart which is very small and the tourist shops down town that don't sell anything useful to regular people.  I am always hearing from visitors and the part timers who only live here a month or less a year that they don't know how we can live here.     Its different but the trade off for the beauty of the environment is so worth it. 

I know Holly,  I have talked this up many times to no avail.   I am usually the one who gets sick so I worry about it the most.   I had to go to the ER twice so far and I might not have made it if I had to go more than 5 miles!   At my age its the only sensible thing really.