Shadybrook Cabin

Roxxie2

Has anyone done a Shadybrook cabin in a while?   I ordered it the other day because I was inspired by some really cute cabins I saw up in the mountains on one of our Sunday drives.  I didn't see many in the Gallery.   I noticed in the photos in the GL Store, the upstairs is just a small loft kind of like the Storybook that I built.   I put a full floor in the Storybook.  Has anyone else done this?  
Also, I notice some of the real cabins have that white stuff between the logs.  Has anyone done that and what did you use and how did you get it even in the cracks between the logs?  Questions all over the place!  :)

I haven't built the kit, but I betcha you could use spackle for the chinking compound (white stuff between logs) and pipe it through a frosting tip to get it even.  Some of the 1:1 cabins I've seen have sleeping lofts, rather than full second floors.

• Like 1

I kind of thought it might be spackle but I could just see me trying to get it evenly into all those cracks!   ( faint!)   I did see one in the Gallery where they had a ladder up to a loft ( like you said).  I always think those partial floors leave so little room to put the beds!  

I did use spackle for the chinking on my Shadybrook cabin; at first I tried piping a mixture of spackle, paint and water but it was too gloppy, so I sanded it off and applied straight spackle by hand. Took a while but I was pleased with the results.

• Like 1

I found your cabin and its so beautiful!   The "chinking" looks very good!   I will have to see what happens when I get that far!  

I am a little frustrated with the US Postal Service.  We get our mail at a bank of mailboxes way down at the end of the road.   Anyway,  I was going into town today and my tracking said that the package has been delivered.  I printed out the tracking information and took it to the post office window.  Would you believe that they would not give me the package??   I have to come back again with the attempted delivery notice from them!   Its not like all of this is around the corner!  I live pretty well Off The Map!    My cabin is sitting there on the shelf probably and they won't hand it to me.  Grrrrrr!   Done venting..........sorry! :doh:

I found your cabin and its so beautiful!   The "chinking" looks very good! 

Thanks! It is a subtle effect since not very much spackle would remain in the small cracks, but it's there. Had alot of fun with that cabin!

• Like 1

Perry Thanks for that link to your cabin.  You did a great job on the chinking and I love the wolf on the front step the best!  Also, your chimney looks great with the cabin!   I haven't seen you on here in a long time. Of course, I haven't been here much either in the past few months.

I got the card in the mailbox today to go pick up my cabin at the post office!  :)

• Like 1

Thanks Cheryl!  I was just frustrated because its a long way to anywhere and I hate to waste gas.  I KNOW that package was sitting there on the shelf yesterday and I had to wait to walk 2 miles to the mailbox to get the stupid card that said my package was there!   I knew because I had the tracking information.   Oh well........let it go!!! ha ha ha  Sorry to whine about it!  The gov't drives me nuts! 

• Like 1

I did one! It's now the Ingalls' home. For the mortar between the 'logs' I used white puffy paint! worked wonderfully! it has texture, and the little nozzle fit easily in the crevices. I went over everything w/ wood stain afterwards so it wouldnt be such a bright white.

• Like 1

Erin!   Why didn't I think of that?  I bought a bunch of that white puffy paint to do my Christmas Cottage!!!!!!! Thanks for joggin  my poor brain!!!

Do you ever forget that you have some supplies?  I have so much I just can't remember what all I stocked up on !   I love this idea!  :clap: 

• Like 1

Dang!   I thought I was going to get away without wallpapering this time!   I will have to print some kind of "wood" paper because I don't have anything that would work and I am out of cash to order anything else.  Maybe I can find some kind of "wood" to print on my printer.  I have done that with wood floor. 

post-26465-0-00156400-1434058558_thumb.j

Depending on the nature of where this cabin lives and who lives there, it might be OK with just some sanding and a coat of stain or some scribing. An old hermit way up on the mountain side might not care too much how fancy and matched his walls are. He just wouldn't want a leaky roof!

• Like 1

One of our friends was born ad grew up living in a cabin outside of Marianna, FL.  Several years later the property was used for battle re-enactments by Civil War groups and we got to see the cabin; the wall inside and out were the chinked logs.

• Like 1

Erin!   Why didn't I think of that?  I bought a bunch of that white puffy paint to do my Christmas Cottage!!!!!!! Thanks for joggin  my poor brain!!!

Do you ever forget that you have some supplies?  I have so much I just can't remember what all I stocked up on !   I love this idea!  :clap:

I'm so glad! I forget how it occurred to me to use it, but I'm happy w/ the results. Just be sure to let it dry, completely flat, because if it drips it wil look like puffy paint, instead of chinking.

• Like 1

I was thinking of staining the walls and floors because I will probably cover the walls with "stuff" and you won't see that much of it.   I wish I could scribe but it would be impossible for me to do with my hand.   I have to be very very careful when building and using my right hand.  After all the surgery I have been through with it I don't want to mess it up again!

I usually stain the floors anyway.  I never really fuss with false flooring unless it is for a tile floor like I did in my adobe room box. 

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I am going to have fun anyway no matter how realistic it isn't. :p

So while I was spending my fortune in Wally Mart today I picked up a couple of bottles of white puffy paint.  I was shocked that they even had it!  ( We have a 1960's Walmart).  I bought some printer ink to print out my famous printies and now all I have to do if find some time to crack open the box!  :) ( Did I mention I picked up the package at the PO yesterday)?

Well, I wasn't going to but I did!   I opened the box and somehow all the pieces got labeled and punched out!   A couple of  small differences in this kit.

First, there is a chimney included and secondly the interior walls are grooved like the exterior walls to look like logs.  I like both of these things.  I am not sure what to do with the roof.  There are no shingles with this kit.   I am thinking I will paint the roof and add very thin strip wood to make it look like the metal roofs we have out here in the west. 

Another question for anyone who has built the ShadyBrook cabin.  The ends of the walls that are suppose to be the logs sticking out, did you spackle the ends so they are smooth?   They are rough as logs should be but there are the holes in the edges........does this make sense???

I have been sanding for hours already and the more I sand, the more splinters come off so I might just leave them a bit rough rather than break them off.  I tried to fit the corners together and I will need to hack off some of the edges in order to get them to fit together properly.    I never did a house that didn't have the tabs....this might be even more frustrating!  
I stained both sides of the walls and also did the floors.  A bit rough but then it is a cabin!  :)