Growing up...

GroovyGert

Growing up I made and helped my younger siblings make houses for our Barbie and GI Joe dolls. I used whatever was on hand, usually starting with a box that was the right size. I used wall paper sample books that had been discarded, scarps of fabric, boxes and other found objects, magazines and cut out pictures to create homes for these little people. Sometimes I combined boxes to create larger homes. I even figured out a pump bathtub for a 'B@rbi#' house to give it 'running water'. Even as I got older I made a two story dollhouse for much younger "sibs" from cardboard boxes, fabric scraps, and leftovers from a home remodel. I even helped my younger brother with a GI Joe bachelor bad, complete with animal print seating.

When my grandpa build a 1:12 dollhouse for a much younger cousin, I helped build most of the furniture and bits and pieces along the way.

In some form or another, I have been making dollhouses much of my life.

• Like 1

Reading your posts made me remember my childhood...

I loved to play in my own creations...

I had a complete encyclopedia set, which I used for walls and floors.

Would build and play for hours...then every night, would have to take it down and put the books away.

I believe I had a metal dollhouse at the time...but would enjoy the book house more...

• Like 1

I had a barbie doll house that I loved, but the homemade ones got a lot of use over the years. We could tailor them to suit out needs, what we were playing, and the doll or dolls that lived there. Since my sister and I shares the big dollhouse, we could also set up more than one household that way.

My dad made me a dollhouse when I was three years old. I played with it nearly everyday until I was embarassingly old. I tried to turn it into a more mature collectors house when I was a teen but never finished. I still have it though and want to make it into a seventies house someday as an homage to my childhood.

I have a metal one that I recently received as a gift from my significant other. Its is a printed Wolverine dollhouse. I think it was his way of smoothing the gigantic toy truck and tractor collection he has. :) Never too old.

I had a bedroom set, furniture, - bed, dresser, vanity, that belonged to my great grandmother. We moved a lot! I had a small fuzzball toy, not sure what it was, anyway, I used bits and bobs and a LOT of glue to make a secret home with rooms, and homemade furniture, - little lamps made from q-tips and tooth paste lids, in one of the vanity drawers

I have no idea when I started it, I think when we lived in Japan. My stepfather was very abusive, and this little house in the drawer was my secret home.

I had forgotten about it, till I opened the drawer recently. It was a piece in my guest room, I wonder what my guests thought when they saw my tiny house with its little fuzzball occupant all theses years?

• Like 2

Dolls houses are commonly considered as toys for children, but building and furnishing miniature doll houses is a detailed and adult hobby. The objective of building miniature doll houses is that they should be a perfect miniaturized reflection of home life, and copy every detail as possible. Most adults begin this hobby with casual interest, but once the bug has bitten, it soon becomes a lifelong passion of reproducing, as well as collecting, miniaturized items for these charming little houses.