making fake food for displays

Has anyone made fake food in real life sizes before?

I work in a school library, and I am trying my hand at making some fake food that we can use for some fun displays.

For example, I got an ice cream sundae dish for free a while back, so I used a video on youtube to make a fake sundae using Styrofoam, white silicone, paint and sprinkles. It was actually intended for making fake food for american girl dolls, but obviously I just used a regular size dish instead of a doll sized one.

Anyone else have experience with this kinda stuff? Got any tips or advice?

This past Christmas, I made fake cupcakes. I used supplies from the home improvement store. Used the spray expandable foam for the cupcake and light weight spackle and craft paint for the icing. Put the cupcake liners in a regular cupcake pan. Cut cardboard circles to put at the bottom of the cupcake liner(from experience-the 1st batch's bottoms rounded out and when I went to ice the cupcake-they rolled) Just like real baking, only put 1/3 spray foam in the liner. They raise on their own as if they were baked. Lightly painted the edges to look like vanilla cupcakes(browned the higher spots to look realistic) Then mixed paint in with the spackle and iced the cupcakes using a disposable icing bag. The spackle dries quick-have sprinkles and glitter ready to decorate. Made sprinkles from fimo-rolled and baked long snakes and snipped into sprinkles when cooled.

I also stuck a spiral pick in the center and attached a note "I'm a crafter-not a baker...do not eat!"

The expandable foam made about 80 cupcakes-everyone got one for Christmas-and the spiral pick doubled as an ornament hook.

• Like 1

This past Christmas, I made fake cupcakes. I used supplies from the home improvement store. Used the spray expandable foam for the cupcake and light weight spackle and craft paint for the icing. Put the cupcake liners in a regular cupcake pan. Cut cardboard circles to put at the bottom of the cupcake liner(from experience-the 1st batch's bottoms rounded out and when I went to ice the cupcake-they rolled) Just like real baking, only put 1/3 spray foam in the liner. They raise on their own as if they were baked. Lightly painted the edges to look like vanilla cupcakes(browned the higher spots to look realistic) Then mixed paint in with the spackle and iced the cupcakes using a disposable icing bag. The spackle dries quick-have sprinkles and glitter ready to decorate. Made sprinkles from fimo-rolled and baked long snakes and snipped into sprinkles when cooled.

I also stuck a spiral pick in the center and attached a note "I'm a crafter-not a baker...do not eat!"

The expandable foam made about 80 cupcakes-everyone got one for Christmas-and the spiral pick doubled as an ornament hook.

post-63268-0-91464200-1434867014_thumb.j

• Like 2

Great! Thank you! I will have to try this method.

• Like 1

I made lots of fake sweets for my sons candy land themed birthday party. There are tons of tutorials on Pinterest. Lollipops, hard candy , Hershey's kisses, dots, gum drops, licorice. It was fun to do.post-60712-0-87547400-1434996289_thumb.j

• Like 2

well, so far I've made 2 bags of popcorn and a strawberry ice cream sundae.

I'd like to buy some of those glass coke bottles that have the vintage look and fill them to look like real coke (but not liquid in case the bottle were to break)

• Like 1

Could you just paint the inside coke colored to the level you want and then use a circle of rippled plastic (painted on the underside) that would be glued at the correct height? You could weight the glass with something if you were concerned about it tipping since it would be so light. Maybe drill a hole in the top circle and glue a colorful straw in it.

• Like 1