HELP! Painting furniture?

Rocio

Hi you guys, well yesterday I was all smiles because my new furniture had arrived. Today I'm a little frustrated.

Maybe my idea of painting the furniture in a Shabby-Chic style was not so good after all?

Good thing I haven't sanded everything LOL. I did sand a few pieces of the living room set, and removed the upholstery on the couch and chairs. I started with the couch and primed it, and I've been painting it a glossy white.

The paint look's think and, all the brush marks are visible (is that ok)? Umm, any special secrets or suggestions to painting mini's?

Thanks, I tried looking for the information on past post but did find anything. I'll post some pic's up a lil later.

post-958-1160967039_thumb.jpg

I'm still fairly new at this, but I've been told that the size of the brush is particularly important if you don't want brush marks to show. I get the best results when I apply one coat of primer, and two coats of the final color, using a brush that the same width as the object I'm painting if possible. Also, I've found that brush marks don't show as much when I use a lot of paint and saturate the brush.

Hopefully someone else will have some ideas for you. :blush:

Hi thanks, I'll go look for some new brushes tommorow. I followed your advice and I added a second coat and I like it a lot more now. I still get the lines though.

THANK YOU.

The picutre isn't that great, sorry.

Glossy paints tend to show brush marks more than satin or matte finishes. I've painted white matte finish and then added a coat or two of clear polyurethane to give the item a shiny finish.

Or you may want to leave some pieces with a dull finish and add wear marks with an emery board on the "worn" places. Depends on how shabby you want them to be. :blush:

Yes, sponge brushes are best. Just keep the way it is now and use the sponge for another coat. It may cover over the lines. I would do light coats. Slowly build up to cover the marks.

Then do what others said to make some bare marks in the wood.

HI just wanted to share some pics of some shabby chic furniture that a very talanted lady on ebay makes. Might give you some inspiration.

As for brushes i like the white ones that are compleatly manmade, very soft. Ive been doing alot of painting lately and have found these so much better than others. I use acrylic paint because it's non toxic and then seal it with the type of finish i want.

Jenn

I would sand what you've already done, then add a light cover with a sponge brush. My preference is to use the sponge brushes, acrylic craft paint, a light sanding if it needs it, and a thin coat of varnish. If you're doing "shabby chic" you might want to sand a little after the varnish dries (you know, in areas that should look "distressed").

By the way, the white looks really lovely on the furniture! Thanks for sharing. :ph34r:

Hi guys, thanks so much for all the advice. I went out and got some sponge brushes today. I'm going to listen to your suggestions about the varnish too. I'll see if I can get some tomorrow. You all are really, really helpful.

Thanks again.

Ps. Hi, MadHatter, great pictures, hehe, I'm already on my way to looking her up on ebay. :thumb:

I did have her ebay name but deleted it by mistake. Keep checking in shabby chick in miniatures. Here stuff goes for alot,and sometimes she even makes shops that go for a great bundle. She is super talented, im sure you will find some inspiration.

YOu could also google chabby chic, and look in decorating magazines, that's what iv'e been doing lately ive been taking pics out of magazines and putting them in a book. I want to make a seperate one for my beacon hill, such as what i want the kitchen to look like, bedroom etc.

I plan on making or repaintind alot of the furniture myself and im even gonna try making some of my own lights. Wish me luck. LOL

Jenn